Mustang at North Weald

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Mustang at North Weald

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Not seen anything of note on my last few visits, and given the gusting winds, a speculative look around yesterday on a run to Harlow was rewarded with the P-51 Mustang getting ready for a run up to Scotland for the East Fortune airshow. First time I've seen it this year, so please excuse the number of photos.

North American P-51D Mustang 472035 "Tall In The Saddle" (G-SIJJ) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

North American P-51D Mustang 472035 "Tall In The Saddle" (G-SIJJ) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Just about to call it a day when the Mustang called up for a run and break. Ten minutes earlier or later and the arrival would have been in nice evening light. I got to lend a hand hangaring the aircraft again, which is always a pleasure - thanks to 'PT' and Steve for the chat and the cuppa! :up:

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

jonny7

Re: Mustang at North Weald

Post by jonny7 »

Nice set, of a great aircraft.(What's that bloke humping in image 9 :grin: ) cheers...
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

Badger96

Post by Badger96 »

Great shots as always Dan! Good to see you again.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Nice set of a beautiful machine Dan, the light on the last one is lovely. :clap:
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Very good. I hadn't noticed the head-rest before.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Super stuff, and the best display of the day at EF (in my opinion...) :clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I absolutely love the red tail scheme - the machine always looks so well in photographs. Nevertheless, these pics are a different class, and quite lovely. :clap:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Thanks for the comments chaps. I know it's the same old stuff I post but it's really nice to have these warbirds living so nearby and I just enjoy being around them with the camera. Really makes my day when I get to help out a little bit every now and again too. Cautious not to take them for granted as you never know how long they might be around.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Mark V

Post by Mark V »

AlexC wrote:Very good. I hadn't noticed the head-rest before.

Its actually only recently fitted and is removable when the rear seat is occupied.

You may have also noticed the K-14 gunsight and the gear wells have been completely overhauled, re-finished and detailed.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Mark V wrote:Its actually only recently fitted and is removable when the rear seat is occupied.

I thought that it must have been. Certainly improves the appearance of the aircraft. I've noticed that some P-51D's in the States have removable pilot armoured head rests.

I hadn't noticed the gun sight and work to the wheel wells, thanks for pointing that out. How about the canopy stiffener now, but I suppose that that would prevent the use of the rear seat?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Mark V

Post by Mark V »

AlexC wrote:
Mark V wrote: How about the canopy stiffener now, but I suppose that that would prevent the use of the rear seat?

Exactly that.