Airventure 2018 Oshkosh

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Anhedral

Airventure 2018 Oshkosh

Post by Anhedral »

A selection of pics from this years aviation extravaganza at Oshkosh

More at https://www.flickr.com/photos/58611670@N04/albums/72157699818713535/with/43112969115/ as I get around to processing them

1. Smart Grumman Avenger
NL683G Grumman TBM-3E Avenger by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

2. Noted over at Basler's facility was their company hack BT-67 N300BF
N300BF BT-67 by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

3. Privately owned Northdrop F-5A N685TC
N685TC Northdrop F-5A Freedom Fighter by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

4. Grumman Tigercat NX7629C suffered the loss of a tyre on roll out from its display. Spectacular pyrotechnics but thankfully no injuries or lasting damage to the aircraft.
The aircraft was flying again by the end of the week.
NX7629C Tigercat mishap by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

5. Plenty of aerobatic acts in the afternoon airshow, including this "Yak-110" flown by Jeff Boerboon on its first outing to Oshkosh. Clearly a single Yak-55 isn't enough so they bolted two together and then
added a jet engine!
N110JY Yak-110 Jeff Boerboon by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

6. Lots of Jet warbirds in evidence this year including this CL-13 Sabre
N50CJ Canadair CL-13B Sabre by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

7. A good turnout by the US forces this year including this Super Hornet from VX-23 at Patuxent River
165801/SD F/A-18F Super Hornet VX-23 by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

8. Second visit to Oshkosh for the second flying B-29 "Doc"
N69972/44-69973 Boeing B-29 Superfortress "Doc" by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

9. The former UK based Gloster Meteor that was sold in early 2018. Now flying as N313Q with Meteor Warbirds LLC. Nice to see it kept in flying condition but sad that it had to leave the UK.
N313Q/WA591 Gloster Meteor T.7 by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

10. Former Royal Navy Beech Traveller Mk.1 visiting from Genesco, Ny where it is operated by the National Warplane Museum
N582/FT478 Beech Traveller Royal Navy by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

Tmyers123

Re: Airventure 2018 Oshkosh

Post by Tmyers123 »

That Super Hornet looks smart. :love: Nice shots!

unanmatt

Post by unanmatt »

That F-5 looks so much better than the last time I saw her. Thanks for the shots.

Matt
Matt Ellis

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Love that Avenger! I've got shots of two other examples taken a few years ago probably from the same spot, or very close to it. Nothing else in the world like Oshkosh!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Excellent! I was hoping to see some shots from this year's Oshkosh... :clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I've just checked, and I have got a couple of shots of Avenger '63' taken there in 2011. Not as good as your's though, probably not worth printing.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Thanks for posting - superb subject matter. This show never gets enough coverage , thanks for taking the time to post these shots :clap:

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Excellent quality and a diverse range of aircraft. I particularly like the F-5.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

Nice selection and a welcome reminder that I need a revisit to Oshkosh.
Saw the Avenger in 2011 at Thunder over Michigan, sadly rather overcast-looks loads better in the sun

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Another superb Oshkosh thread - thank you :clap: :clap: . I went for the first time this year - Alex is right, there's nothing like it :shock: . That Avenger is a cracker as is the Basler Dak which I didn't get to see.

I'll post some photos shortly as I'm still going through mine.

Andy :smile:

Anhedral

Post by Anhedral »

Many thanks for all the kind comments. This was my second visit to Oshkosh and I would recommend it to anyone but plan ahead as it is getting very popular! I camped onsite again this year and even the huge campsite was almost full by Sunday morning before the show. If you haven't been before plan to be there the weekend before the exhibition open's as huge numbers of aircraft arrive that weekend to be in place for Monday. Access to the airfield is possible The airfield generally runs out of parking space by Tuesday or Wednesday with many of the day visitors then landing at other airfields in the area and departures start to increase from Thursday. There are air-displays every afternoon, with the big shows on Friday and Saturday. Night airshows were on Wednesday and Saturday this year and are well worth it. The final Sunday is much quieter with most of the show aircraft having departed and the exhibition site winding down however the mass departure of all the exhibition aircraft at the end of the Sunday show is worth watching. The main airshow takes place on the N-S runway with the sun behind you all afternoon and there are no fences or barriers to shoot over or around. Warbird displays tend to be quite tame compared to say Duxford with quantity over quality. Most of the warbirds are privately owned with the owners giving up their time to fly formations (mostly) and gentle displays. Many of the surrounding airfields host groups of aircraft for a week or two before the show so the owners can practice their displays.

A couple more shots

Flagship Detroit - American Airlines DC-3 in the early morning sun
NC17334 DC-3 American Airlines by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

Kyle Franklin displaying "Dracula" to a suitably bombastic soundtrack!
N669VP Franklin Demon Mk.1 Kyle Franklin by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

Nothing better to watch the sun set over Airventure
Superfortress Sunset by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

Hope this has wetted your appetite for Oshkosh

Regards

Paul Nelhams

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Anhedral wrote:...If you haven't been before plan to be there the weekend before the exhibition open's as huge numbers of aircraft arrive that weekend to be in place for Monday. ... The main airshow takes place on the N-S runway with the sun behind you all afternoon and there are no fences or barriers to shoot over or around. Warbird displays tend to be quite tame compared to say Duxford with quantity over quality. .....
I will echo your assessment of the show. For such a HUGE airshow in probably the most litigious country in the world, they do put on an excellent show. I was surprised to find that there wasn't a crowd-line fence (everyone, repeat everyone, remains behind the line burnt into the grass) and attendees can freely walk within the warbird parking area. I can recall my surprise at being permitted to stand no more than 5m from a brace of F-4 Corsairs (and other types such as B-25s, Bearcats, Mustangs and Trojans) as they started their engines prior to a display. 2019 will be an eight-day event for me; Saturday to Sunday night.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Anhedral

Post by Anhedral »

Have to agree about the warbirds park it is really special. It can get really busy with aircraft movements and they were closing off access to the parking areas this year during the show as the majority of aircraft took part in the displays

A couple more images from the week

Lots of T-6's present celebrating 80 years since the types first flight. Tuesday saw a mass stream takeoff of 30-40 of them
N66WP T-6G Texan by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

N500HP Howard 500 arriving on the Friday. Early corporate aircraft being a redesign of the Lockheed Ventura. One of only two still flying, the other N500LN resided at Exeter for many years and now
lives at Anoka alongside this one
N500HP Howard 500 by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

N62CC Douglas DC-3 "Virginia Ann" This aircraft is one of many that should make the Atlantic crossing next year for the D-Day event
ImageN62CC Douglas DC-3 "Virginia Ann" by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

Lake Buccaneer taking a spin around the bay at the seaplane base to pick up speed
ImageN84PF Lake Buccaneer by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

Noted for sale in the flea market was the former RM-1/OT-ZAA Pembroke of the Belgian Air Force. This has been in the USA since the late 1970's
ImageRM-1/OT-ZAA Pembroke ex Belgian Air Force by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

N188JG DHC-2. Nearly 40 years ago this aircraft served with the US Army in Germany and has recently been restored by Kenmore Air Harbour after years of service in Canada. I doubt the colour scheme is
original though!
N188JG DHC-2 Beaver Mk.1 by Paul Nelhams, on Flickr

Cheers All
Paul
Flikr https://www.flickr.com/photos/58611670@N04/