Single or twin seat?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Tmyers123

Single or twin seat?

Post by Tmyers123 »

Out of curiosity, what is everyone’s favourite when it comes to looks on a fast jet? IMO, the MiG-29 and Typhoon twin sticks don’t look good at all but the two seat Flankers and Hornets look so much better than their single seat counterparts. It’s even the same with the EA-6B, I think it looks so much better than the Intruder just down to how sleek it looks due to the extra seats.
Curious to know everyone else’s thoughts on this, maybe I’m just weird? :lol:
Last edited by Tmyers123 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Re: Single or twin seat?

Post by CJS »

You're definitely weird, no question there ;-)

However, your question...

...I agree about the Typhoon, the extra seat does nothing for the look of it imho. Opposite for the Hawk, the single seat looks, well, odd at best.

Twin seat Spitfires are no where near as beautiful as the single seat variants, but are still considerably more attractive than most other aircraft.

Best twin stick had to be the SR-71b though.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

CJS wrote:You're definitely weird, no question :wink:

You’re too kind. :lol:

As for the Hawk 200, I think it’s possibly the worst looking fast jet out there. The RAAF Hawk 127 however, is an absolute beauty. :love:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I reckon Mig-29 and Jaguar twin seaters look fantastic, as do Mirage 2000s and the Rafale.
The Typhoon by contrast looks horrendous.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

IMO (and it might be sacrilegious) but the Mirage 2000 is jaw-droppingly beautiful as a twin-seat, and far less sleek and more ugly as a single seat. Have to disagree with you on the Flankers and Jaguars though, both are far more attractive as single seats for me.

I think twin-sticks looking better is more the exception rather than the rule!
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

I like the Rafale B, but i still think the C/M variants look better. And I agree about the Mirage 2000, I think the twin stick looks so much better than the single.
Last edited by Tmyers123 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

All aircraft work better as a twin-stick and nothing you can say can change my mind on that.

Marka1967

Post by Marka1967 »

The two seat EE Lightning is an awesome thing if you ask me.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

cg_341 wrote:All aircraft work better as a twin-stick and nothing you can say can change my mind on that.

Typhoon.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Yep, my point stands. Twin stock Typhoon looks far better in that it's more aesthetically balanced, looks like it has more purpose, and head on looks a little better.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Spitfire.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

And the TAV-8B Harrier that the USMC use for training just looks weird. I refuse to believe anyone actually thinks that looks better than any single seat Harrier variant.

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

I think I am right in saying that the Su-27 Flanker is the only aircraft that did not need to be 'stretched' to make a two-seater.

The single-seat Su-27 Flanker-B is exactly the same length as the two-seat Su-27UB Flanker-C - the only difference is the upper fuselage contours and taller fins.

It is probably also the only aircraft that has both tandem two-seat (Su-27UB/Su-30) AND side-by-side two-seat (Su-34/Su-33UB) variants.

Ken (who has a slight Flanker bias)

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

The F-15A/B and F-15C/D are identical except for the slightly bulged canopy on the two seat version.

The Jaguar was designed as a trainer which probably it makes a better looking two-seater

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Flankerman wrote:It is probably also the only aircraft that has both tandem two-seat (Su-27UB/Su-30) AND side-by-side two-seat (Su-34/Su-33UB) variants.

I would put forward the Canberra as another.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Flankerman wrote:I think I am right in saying that the Su-27 Flanker is the only aircraft that did not need to be 'stretched' to make a two-seater.

The single-seat Su-27 Flanker-B is exactly the same length as the two-seat Su-27UB Flanker-C - the only difference is the upper fuselage contours and taller fins.

It is probably also the only aircraft that has both tandem two-seat (Su-27UB/Su-30) AND side-by-side two-seat (Su-34/Su-33UB) variants.

Nope two seat Typhoon is the same length as well :smile:

For what it's worth I think the Jag twin stick is a real looker. As for why I think a friend's comment that it's "because it's pointy" possibly has some truth.

Tim Dix

Post by Tim Dix »

I normally much prefer a 2 seater, F-18, SU-27, all Mirages and even the typhoon, but the exception to the rule for me must be the F-102 Delta Dagger Certainly the ‘2 o’clock princess’ of the trainer world.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

cg_341 wrote:All aircraft work better as a twin-stick and nothing you can say can change my mind on that.

TU-2S

st24

Post by st24 »

Craig wrote:
Flankerman wrote:I think I am right in saying that the Su-27 Flanker is the only aircraft that did not need to be 'stretched' to make a two-seater.

F-16, F/A-18, Mirage 2000, isn't the Rafale too??..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

st24 wrote:
Craig wrote:

F-16, F/A-18, Mirage 2000, isn't the Rafale too??..

And the F-15.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Some aircraft do, some don't. I like the look of twin-seat F-15s and F-18s but hate the look of twin seat F-16s. I think single-seat Hunters are better looking than bulbous twin-seaters, yet quite like the look of a similarly bulbous two-seat Lightning. Although I didn't dislike them, I think a single-seat Harrier will always have the edge etc, so it depends entirely upon the type.

When it comes to warbirds, very few two-seaters even come close in looks, as the many Spitfires and now Buchons prove. P-40s aren't too bad with a second seat, but the best of the bunch must surely be the TF-51 which retains the stunning good looks of a single seat with very little compromise.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Craig

Post by Craig »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Some aircraft do, some don't. I like the look of twin-seat F-15s and F-18s but hate the look of twin seat F-16s. I think single-seat Hunters are better looking than bulbous twin-seaters, yet quite like the look of a similarly bulbous two-seat Lightning. Although I didn't dislike them, I think a single-seat Harrier will always have the edge etc, so it depends entirely upon the type.

When it comes to warbirds, very few two-seaters even come close in looks, as the many Spitfires and now Buchons prove. P-40s aren't too bad with a second seat, but the best of the bunch must surely be the TF-51 which retains the stunning good looks of a single seat with very little compromise.

I suspect that's a lot to do with the Heath Robinson style botching that most two seat warbirds were. Everything is designed in these days, not (quite literally) bolted on.

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

I always thought the 2 seat F 105s looked better then the single seaters, Mig 25u or Yak 28u anyone.

st24

Post by st24 »

Steve p wrote:I always thought the 2 seat F 105s looked better then the single seaters, Mig 25u or Yak 28u anyone.

2 Seat Voodoo too, just yummy...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

I also think the T-33 was/is much better than the P-80/F-80.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....