Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
vulcan558

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by vulcan558 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Anyone know how successful these stores sales are?
Or just how much is left to sell?

One can only wonder and be in awe of David Walton for securing so many spares for 558 when in his charge, or else we would not have had those wonderful years of flying.

There was in excesse of 600 tonnes of spares Dave walton brought if i remember right.
What was at Waddington and all the V bomber spares held in store at the RAfs main store in stafford i think.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

I wonder how Mr Walton feels now, his gifted parts being pawned to provide a few pointless people a wage each month.

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

vulcan558 wrote:Just a reminder that the central stores is having a sale day this Saturday the 18/08/2018.
Lots of Vulcan and other aviation goodies for sale.

So sad - having to sell more of the family silver to stay afloat...

I hope that the assets of the Trust are being decreased in the accounts to reflect what is sold.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Skymonster wrote:I hope that the assets of the Trust are being decreased in the accounts to reflect what is sold.

That's actually a very good point. I dont remember seeing anything in the company accounts listed as assets other the 558 and 163. Surely the parts and whatever shop stock they hold should be accounted for. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of accounts could comment?

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Xm657 wrote:
Skymonster wrote:I hope that the assets of the Trust are being decreased in the accounts to reflect what is sold.

That's actually a very good point. I dont remember seeing anything in the company accounts listed as assets other the 558 and 163. Surely the parts and whatever shop stock they hold should be accounted for. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of accounts could comment?

The accounts are still available for your review...

DeltaPapa

Post by DeltaPapa »

Xm657 wrote:I wonder how Mr Walton feels now, his gifted parts being pawned to provide a few pointless people a wage each month.

Why do you persist in calling them Mr Waltons parts or say he gifted them to the Trust?
He didn't, he sold them along with 558. It has been explained on here more than once. There were some 600 tons of them and the Trust have said they won't sell anything they believe they will need for 558.
The more spares they have, the larger storage area is required, surely it makes sense to sell what they don't need.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

My understanding was that if they were sold, it was for a token amount. If the Trust don't need them, why not give the other running Vulcans first chance on them or Mr Walton in case there is anything usable for XM715, that would be nice thing to do. After that, I agree they might as well be sold, for the benefit of 558 of course...

DeltaPapa

Post by DeltaPapa »

My understanding is that Vulcan custodians over the years have always helped each other out and that includes the Trust both benefiting and being a benefactor.

As for whether vulcan spares would benefit a Victor I have no idea.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Saw a VTTS Facebook post last night promoting the latest raffle. Comments were majority negative, and not from the enthusiasts who have long since given VTTS the cold shoulder. The remaining hard-core of non-enthusiast housewives and Britain First Brexiteers have seen the light and are questioning where the millions have gone while the ex-aeroplane is sat rotting in a field. One post even suggested that some of the negative comments had been removed...

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Clearly this is a forum about the Vulcan... but 'Britain First Brexiteers'? Please... I might as well conflate Momentum and Remain...

Anyway... back to normal service...

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Naming the thing "Spirit Of Britain First" couldn't have summed up a large percentage of its supporters much better...

#supportaretroup's

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Talk about playing the men and not the ball.

I've agreed with you on virtually everything you've said regarding the Vulcan, Dan, but this is just getting a bit snobby.

There's plenty of reasonable points to argue against those who run VTTST. This kind of thing just distracts from the important points that you have previously made.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Naming the thing "Spirit Of Britain First" couldn't have summed up a large percentage of its supporters much better...

#supportaretroup's

Wasn't the original "Britain First" the Bristol 142 that subsequently evolved into the Blenheim? Presented to the nation by Viscount Rothermere, proprietor of the Daily Mail..... nuff said!

MicrolightDriver

Xm657 wrote:I wonder how Mr Walton feels now, his gifted parts being pawned to provide a few pointless people a wage each month.

Aside from the fallacy of 'gifted', why would you use the term 'pawned' when what they're doing is offering items for sale?

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Naming the thing "Spirit Of Britain First" couldn't have summed up a large percentage of its supporters much better...

#supportaretroup's

Wasn't the original "Britain First" the Bristol 142 that subsequently evolved into the Blenheim? Presented to the nation by Viscount Rothermere, proprietor of the Daily Mail..... nuff said!

Yes, and “Spirit of Britain First” was the name given to the flying Blenheim (by the late Graham Warner IIRC) in its previous incarnation as the Mk.IV (before the crash and subsequent re-emergence as a Mk.I).

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

Just in case anybody on here is actually interested in what is happening with the aircraft, and not slagging off the management...

558 did two ground runs today, the second of which was followed by a slow taxi back up towards the fuel farm where it is parked. Surely the first step towards the volunteer crew doing fast taxis in the future. So much for the airport not allowing it to taxi...

Now waiting for DOh and Bernarde to rubbish the achievement by the volunteers...

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

JetMan wrote:Just in case anybody on here is actually interested in what is happening with the aircraft, and not slagging off the management...

558 did two ground runs today, the second of which was followed by a slow taxi back up towards the fuel farm where it is parked. Surely the first step towards the volunteer crew doing fast taxis in the future. So much for the airport not allowing it to taxi...

Now waiting for DOh and Bernarde to rubbish the achievement by the volunteers...

Bit of a publicity stunt out of desperation if you ask me.
Again another public chance to see this spectacle missed. At a weekend also.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

On another note, now 558 is running and the volunteers are doing a grand job, can we not get rid of the other half and train some volunteers up to do that roll.

MicrolightDriver

JetMan wrote:Just in case anybody on here is actually interested in what is happening with the aircraft, and not slagging off the management...

Glad to hear all went well. Thanks for posting.

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

vulcan558 wrote:

Bit of a publicity stunt out of desperation if you ask me.
Again another public chance to see this spectacle missed. At a weekend also.

I guess that’s he other side of the coin...

You see it as a “publicity stunt”, when there has been nothing put out about it yet (which I’m sure would have happened if it were), whilst I see it as good progress, and the next step towards the long awaited fast taxis.

Post by 106500 »

MicrolightDriver wrote:

Glad to hear all went well. Thanks for posting.

After months of negativity on this thread isn't it refreshing to hear some good news for a change. I for one am convinced VTTS will succeed in their challenges and prove all the naysayers wrong! :clap:

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

JetMan wrote:558 did two ground runs today, the second of which was followed by a slow taxi back up towards the fuel farm where it is parked. Surely the first step towards the volunteer crew doing fast taxis in the future.

There's a world of a difference between a slow taxi (presumably on a taxiway) and a fast taxi that requires use of the runway. If anything goes wrong on a taxiway commercial aircraft can still use / backtrack the main runway. If something goes wrong on the runway, commercial activity stops. So a slow trundle down the parallel taxiway conveys little meaning in respect of accessing the runway, which is the only place where faster ground movements will be allowed. Time will tell but I very much still have my doubts - maybe it will be fine until one day when there's a loud bang and a scheduled inbound flight has to divert or a departure gets delayed.

MicrolightDriver

I'd say a taxy back from one of the EGRs represents an extension of what they've previously done at these events, and that can only be a good thing.

There are people on UKAR who spent most of the flying years dismissing everything they saw as 'sedate', 'lacklustre' and 'underwhelming' ( not to mention 'unsustainable' ) so I don't expect anything VTTS do now could possibly please or even be acknowledged by those holding that view...

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

Skymonster wrote:
JetMan wrote:558 did two ground runs today, the second of which was followed by a slow taxi back up towards the fuel farm where it is parked. Surely the first step towards the volunteer crew doing fast taxis in the future.

There's a world of a difference between a slow taxi (presumably on a taxiway) and a fast taxi that requires use of the runway. If anything goes wrong on a taxiway commercial aircraft can still use / backtrack the main runway. If something goes wrong on the runway, commercial activity stops. So a slow trundle down the parallel taxiway conveys little meaning in respect of accessing the runway, which is the only place where faster ground movements will be allowed. Time will tell but I very much still have my doubts - maybe it will be fine until one day when there's a loud bang and a scheduled inbound flight has to divert or a departure gets delayed.

Agreed there’s a difference between taxiing down a taxiway and along the runway, but you have to admit that the fast taxis now seem closer than they have at any point since the ‘trial’ taxi runs done by the engineers almost two YEARS ago (6/10/16 and 27/10/18)...

Not bad for “a bunch of amateurs” who”shouldn’t be allowed to touch the aircraft” and “have no idea what they’re doing” (yes, they are actual quotes from various different forums, Facebook groups, pages and more)...

I’d certainly argue against those views, and I’m sure many others would as well!

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

While I have been critical of the Trust, I am not anti-Vulcan in any way. However I see this development as 'no progress' because slow taxi has never been what VTTST has been aiming for - it has been about fast taxi runs and I don't think a slow taxi in any way is indicative of it being allowed on the runway to undertake the Trust's avowed intent. In any case it really doesn't matter. Maybe one day it will fast taxi down the runway. And maybe it will happen repetitively. But one day - maybe not soon, but eventually - I think there will be a loud bang, and if that causes Mr. TUI's or Mr. FlyBe's aircraft to divert or be delayed and they have to pay compensation to their customers, it will be game over for good. In relality what I am trying to say is that a runway at a commercial airport is no place for volunteers to be playing with planes - and ultimately I believe there will be no getting away from that.