Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Post by Pen Pusher »

On site car parking is the limiting factor although I believe there is no limit on pedestrian entry. Park & Ride is available.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Just jumped in for mine. I expected a sell out but maybe not quite this early.

Thanks for the warnings folks.

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

Thanks for the heads up Brian. Tickets bought!

I've never been to Duxford on a sell out, I suspect its chaos? Looking forward to it. :lol:
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Added to the web site but not made it to Social Media yet.

Supermarine Spitfire VIII, MT928- Maxi Gainza

Westland Whirlwind HAR10 – Andrew Whitehouse

Yakovlev Yak 3 – Mark Davy

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

neilos

Post by neilos »

First Duxford airshow that I’ve decided to buy a weekend ticket!

Anyone know if Duxford has had a sell out before?

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

2014 september sold out on sunday due to lancs and 2015 sold out as well
Thomas

austinp

Post by austinp »

Tickets purchased for the Saturday.

A first for me, I normally go on the Sunday. Fingers crossed the weather is good.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i got a weekend ticket as soon as the RAF announced their bits. think i will be getting there early to beat the traffic

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

There have been some further additions to the flying programme: Gnat pair, another two Buchons and the Spitfire tally now up to 19, and Hurricanes up to 5. Incidentally there are no BBMF fighters listed.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/duxford-b ... lying-List

Looking good.

aaron0288

Post by aaron0288 »

Either there’s going to be some big formation displays or the overall flying programme will be longer than normal surely, what with all of that confirmed so far. Looks amazing.

Rick

Post by Rick »

I guess this will be last airshow appearance of an RAF Tornado :sad:
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

aaron0288 wrote:Either there’s going to be some big formation displays or the overall flying programme will be longer than normal surely, what with all of that confirmed so far. Looks amazing.

i would reckon some will do small group displays and then there will be a massive BoB flyby

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Latest info on the website says flying display will start at 1245 and run to about 1800. Good in terms of length of display but means early part will be even more backlit than normal so most photography will need to be to the left of crowd centre, But not so good for those who want to see the whole display and then use park and ride. Given that this show will sell out that also means the car parks will be gridlocked within about ten minutes of the display ending.

I already have my weekend ticket and will attend all three days (IWM member so free on Friday) but do not expect to get off the airfield until at least 1900 on Saturday or Sunday. If that is the case, at least the traffic on the M25 around Heathrow should have eased by the time I get there on the way back.....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

phreakf4 wrote:Latest info on the website says flying display will start at 1245 and run to about 1800. Good in terms of length of display but means early part will be even more backlit than normal so most photography will need to be to the left of crowd centre, But not so good for those who want to see the whole display and then use park and ride. Given that this show will sell out that also means the car parks will be gridlocked within about ten minutes of the display ending.

I already have my weekend ticket and will attend all three days (IWM member so free on Friday) but do not expect to get off the airfield until at least 1900 on Saturday or Sunday. If that is the case, at least the traffic on the M25 around Heathrow should have eased by the time I get there on the way back.....

i agree i think the traffic will be nuts. with luck they will keep the museum open long enough to keep one occupied once the planes stop

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

rockfordstone wrote:
aaron0288 wrote:Either there’s going to be some big formation displays or the overall flying programme will be longer than normal surely, what with all of that confirmed so far. Looks amazing.

i would reckon some will do small group displays and then there will be a massive BoB flyby

3 Mk1 Spitfires, Blenheim, 5 Hurricanes and a Gladiator to start followed by 3 Buchon's and finally 16 spits that would be a BoB magic flypast ? :worship:

neilos

Post by neilos »

phreakf4 wrote:I already have my weekend ticket and will attend all three days (IWM member so free on Friday) but do not expect to get off the airfield until at least 1900 on Saturday or Sunday. If that is the case, at least the traffic on the M25 around Heathrow should have eased by the time I get there on the way back.....

Weekend ticket here too, and going Friday. Living 10mins down the road does have it advantages, but I always leave at least 20mins before the end of the shows anyway.

Stayed to the end once a few years back, took me nearly 2 hours to get out! I could have parked the car, walked home for a cuppa and walked back and still would have had to queue to get out!!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

neilos wrote:
phreakf4 wrote:I already have my weekend ticket and will attend all three days (IWM member so free on Friday) but do not expect to get off the airfield until at least 1900 on Saturday or Sunday. If that is the case, at least the traffic on the M25 around Heathrow should have eased by the time I get there on the way back.....

Weekend ticket here too, and going Friday. Living 10mins down the road does have it advantages, but I always leave at least 20mins before the end of the shows anyway.

Stayed to the end once a few years back, took me nearly 2 hours to get out! I could have parked the car, walked home for a cuppa and walked back and still would have had to queue to get out!!

Which is why I'm using the P&R at Trumpington.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

whwillson

Post by whwillson »

Good Morning all-

I apologize in advance if this is inappropriate for this thread stream. I am bringing my parents to the Battle of Britain Show this year and forgot to purchase Gold Pass tickets as I have done in years past. If anyone has or knows of 3 tickets (even 4, if that's all they have) who won't be attending and would like to sell them, I am in need of at least three. Thanks, William

frank

Post by frank »

phreakf4 wrote:.

I already have my weekend ticket and will attend all three days (IWM member so free on Friday) ..

Never done the friday - is there much activity then or is it a bit hit and miss ?

neilos

Post by neilos »

frank wrote:

I already have my weekend ticket and will attend all three days (IWM member so free on Friday) ..

Never done the friday - is there much activity then or is it a bit hit and miss ?

Can be a bit hit and miss. They tend to start practising around mid morning/into the afternoon.

Least the tank bank is open on the Friday, as well as the grandstand.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

frank wrote:

The Friday before last September's airshow was excellent. Lots of movements and arrivals. My photo thread should give a flavour of the day: http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79002
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

whwillson wrote:Good Morning all-

I apologize in advance if this is inappropriate for this thread stream. I am bringing my parents to the Battle of Britain Show this year and forgot to purchase Gold Pass tickets as I have done in years past. If anyone has or knows of 3 tickets (even 4, if that's all they have) who won't be attending and would like to sell them, I am in need of at least three. Thanks, William

If you don't get any luck, then I'd suggest heading to the Gold tent as soon as it opens, they usually have a handful of Gold passes available for on the day upgrades.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Saturday parking sold out.
Park and Ride at Trumpington or Royston.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

RAF Puma removed from the list.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

What a surprise...