Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
AARDVARK

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Post by AARDVARK »

What time does the show start/finish ?

timuss

Post by timuss »

AARDVARK wrote:What time does the show start/finish ?

Flying starts at 12.00 this year through to 6.00
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

timuss wrote:

Thankyou :up:

neilos

Post by neilos »

timuss wrote:

Where are you getting 12:00 from?

IWM website says 12:45! :dunno:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

HAC DH.9 will be on static.

timuss

Post by timuss »

neilos wrote:
timuss wrote:

Where are you getting 12:00 from?

IWM website says 12:45! :dunno:

Yeah my mistake.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/iwm.duxford/posts/2075707222453426:0[/fb-post]

Brian
Last edited by Pen Pusher on Fri 24 Aug 2018, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Saturday tickets no longer available online.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Haven’t used the park and ride before, what experiences have people got with it?

Have Duxford increased capacity/amount of tickets available or have they reduced the amount of car parking space available on show days? Or does car parking always sell out before tickets?
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

JJC wrote:Haven’t used the park and ride before, what experiences have people got with it?

Have Duxford increased capacity/amount of tickets available or have they reduced the amount of car parking space available on show days? Or does car parking always sell out before tickets?

I made the mistake of turning up about 2 or 3 years ago and found you couldn't just park with just a ticket for the day. A pre-purchased parking permit was now required. I was directed all the way to a retail park in Cambridge and had to get on the Bus there. There's nothing like progress! :roll:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

To be fair to Duxford this does look a pretty good line up. Much better than the May offering. I just can't bring myself to part with money for an IWM show anymore. Enjoy it, those of you going.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

The Baron wrote:To be fair to Duxford this does look a pretty good line up. Much better than the May offering. I just can't bring myself to part with money for an IWM show anymore. Enjoy it, those of you going.

I'd say it's one of their most impressive line ups in a very, very long time.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Ryan. wrote:
The Baron wrote:To be fair to Duxford this does look a pretty good line up. Much better than the May offering. I just can't bring myself to part with money for an IWM show anymore. Enjoy it, those of you going.

I'd say it's one of their most impressive line ups in a very, very long time.

it does. the fact it looks to be a sellout really supports that. i bet seeing the tornado and f-35 are also a big draw for people

JJC

Post by JJC »

Finningley Boy wrote:
JJC wrote:Haven’t used the park and ride before, what experiences have people got with it?

I made the mistake of turning up about 2 or 3 years ago and found you couldn't just park with just a ticket for the day. A pre-purchased parking permit was now required. I was directed all the way to a retail park in Cambridge and had to get on the Bus there. There's nothing like progress! :roll:

Am I correct in thinking that you’re talking about turning up to park at the museum itself?

I presume you just arrive at the park and ride on the day and don’t have to pre-book a parking space?

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Finningley Boy wrote:

Sounds about right, awful venue these days, good line up, but to costly in every department, especially having to pay to park to. And sounds like a sell -out, so folk will be cramped in to bursting point, as it's not the biggest of venues. Haven't attended since they scrapped the Autumn air show, and doubtful i ever will again.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

JJC wrote:I presume you just arrive at the park and ride on the day and don’t have to pre-book a parking space?

That is correct, you don't need a permit for park & ride. Just park up, show your airshow tickets and jump on the bus.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
JJC wrote:I presume you just arrive at the park and ride on the day and don’t have to pre-book a parking space?

That is correct, you don't need a permit for park & ride. Just park up, show your airshow tickets and jump on the bus.

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/iwm.duxford/posts/2080897048601110:0[/fb-post]

Brian

DfG on Facebook

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Oh dear... as if the traffic situation wasn't bad enough already!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/iwm.duxford/posts/2082233148467500:0[/fb-post]

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

It’d be nice if anything around at Mildenhall/Lakenheath at the time of the show could make an appearance.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Guys ive never been to this airshow. Its a fairdrive from Worcestershire ,but im considering it. Just concerned about how busy the traffic will be ,as a 2 hour drive is bad enough. How regular are the park n rides, as im liable to want to leave at any time of the afternoon ( thats Anxiety for you ).

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Mr Benn wrote:Guys I've never been to this airshow. Its a fairdrive from Worcestershire ,but I'm considering it. Just concerned about how busy the traffic will be ,as a 2 hour drive is bad enough. How regular are the park n rides, as I'm liable to want to leave at any time of the afternoon ( thats Anxiety for you ).

Traffic will always be busy - its an airshow - try to get there as early as you can. Park and Ride starts at 08:00 and buses run every 30 minutes. In the return direction the first bus back to Trumpington is 3:30. Again, they're every half an hour until 6:30.

Details here

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxfo ... -info/road

Duxford is a unique venue for sure. The capacity is way lower than say RIAT, but its a far smaller venue, so it can feel crowded. There's loads going on though, and plenty to see.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Mr Benn
I'll second that. Duxford will be very congested as it is a small venue and is at capacity for this show. In particular, the area between hangars 4 and 5 is also used as the area for traders on both sides of the roadway and can very crowded. In addition the area by the land warfare hall is simply a sea of people and you have to pick your way between deck chairs.

If you have never visited Duxford before and are anxious about it I would recommend going on the Friday before the show as a lot of acts practice on that day.

Also be aware that the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge is being upgraded and there is a 40mph limit for most of it (about 10 miles) - it's usually ok at weekends but the dual carriageway has been narrowed.

I volunteer at Duxford - and wil be doing so at the show on Saturday - so if I can give you any further info please pm me.
best wishes
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

tankbuster81 wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:

Sounds about right, awful venue these days, good line up, but to costly in every department, especially having to pay to park to. And sounds like a sell -out, so folk will be cramped in to bursting point, as it's not the biggest of venues. Haven't attended since they scrapped the Autumn air show, and doubtful i ever will again.

There's always the naughty field.... :whistle: