Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
8674planes

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2018

Post by 8674planes »

Roughcutter wrote:
tankbuster81 wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:
JJC wrote:Haven’t used the park and ride before, what experiences have people got with it?

Have Duxford increased capacity/amount of tickets available or have they reduced the amount of car parking space available on show days? Or does car parking always sell out before tickets?

I made the mistake of turning up about 2 or 3 years ago and found you couldn't just park with just a ticket for the day. A pre-purchased parking permit was now required. I was directed all the way to a retail park in Cambridge and had to get on the Bus there. There's nothing like progress! :roll:

FB :biggrin:

Sounds about right, awful venue these days, good line up, but to costly in every department, especially having to pay to park to. And sounds like a sell -out, so folk will be cramped in to bursting point, as it's not the biggest of venues. Haven't attended since they scrapped the Autumn air show, and doubtful i ever will again.

There's always the naughty field.... :whistle:

Not anymore... :tongue2:
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/iwm.duxford/posts/2085997474757734[/fb-post]

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

tankbuster81 wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:
JJC wrote:Haven’t used the park and ride before, what experiences have people got with it?

Have Duxford increased capacity/amount of tickets available or have they reduced the amount of car parking space available on show days? Or does car parking always sell out before tickets?

I made the mistake of turning up about 2 or 3 years ago and found you couldn't just park with just a ticket for the day. A pre-purchased parking permit was now required. I was directed all the way to a retail park in Cambridge and had to get on the Bus there. There's nothing like progress! :roll:

Sounds about right, awful venue these days, good line up, but to costly in every department, especially having to pay to park to. And sounds like a sell -out, so folk will be cramped in to bursting point, as it's not the biggest of venues. Haven't attended since they scrapped the Autumn air show, and doubtful i ever will again.

That’s the spirit ..full of positivity and optimism..not!!
What a defeatist attitude to have!

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Did they add extra Saturday tickets? I thought they had already sold out!
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

vulcanshammer wrote:Did they add extra Saturday tickets? I thought they had already sold out!

They have as of this afternoon.... Only train packages available now...
...Rad shutters auto.

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

Pen Pusher wrote:[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/iwm.Duxford/posts/2085997474757734[/fb-post]

Brian

Thanks Brian, that's a very helpful link thanks. As I've only just managed to get the Saturday off work booked yesterday then found they had sold out. I can now go!

Martin

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

Wow, Duxford is totally sold out.

I was just about to buy three tickets since this airshow looks like a proper one, like Dx used to be!

Shame, I would really have loved to go.
Collecting Avometers

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

8674planes wrote:
Roughcutter wrote:
tankbuster81 wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:

There's always the naughty field.... :whistle:

Not anymore... :tongue2:

Bugger! :sad:

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

Just to curb my dissapointment of the airshow selling out, for a few years now, jets at Dx tend to display about 10 miles away, so maybe I'm not missing that much after all :lol:
Collecting Avometers

DMH

Post by DMH »

Is there anywhere that sells unwanted tickets?

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

DMH wrote:Is there anywhere that sells unwanted tickets?

You could ask on here. :dunno: It's worked for me in the past both buying and selling?
...Rad shutters auto.

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

keithjs wrote:
DMH wrote:Is there anywhere that sells unwanted tickets?

You could ask on here. :dunno: It's worked for me in the past both buying and selling?

I have looked, Greater Anglia via the link https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/iwm-duxf ... agging%3DA are still selling tickets. That's if you travel into Cambridge via rail. But you would still end up having to use the shuttle bus to get in with this ticket. It is expensive, but at least you get in. Oh and the ticket includes the flight line walk.

DerekGM6

Post by DerekGM6 »

Can I have some advice please as I am attending my first ever Duxford air show. Previously I have only ever been to RIAT, numerous times, which is obviously on a much bigger scale and I am used to taking a complete "life support system" into the showground comprising beach tent, camp chair, food, drink, etc etc all in a festival trolley. I take it that most of this is not necessary at Duxford and also I gather that the viewing area is likely to be much more concentrated and crowded, so one cannot take up more than one's fair share of ground space. A camp chair or stool at most? Sorry if this is a silly question but I've learned from experience that a bit of homework and preparation is essential for enjoying these sorts of events especially as I have one replacement hip and another on the way out so cannot stand for hours on end. Any advice would be appreciated. We have Duxford parking tickets by the way so will not be using the park 'n ride. Thank you.

austinp

Post by austinp »

DerekGM6 wrote:Can I have some advice please as I am attending my first ever Duxford air show. Previously I have only ever been to RIAT, numerous times, which is obviously on a much bigger scale and I am used to taking a complete "life support system" into the showground comprising beach tent, camp chair, food, drink, etc etc all in a festival trolley. I take it that most of this is not necessary at Duxford and also I gather that the viewing area is likely to be much more concentrated and crowded, so one cannot take up more than one's fair share of ground space. A camp chair or stool at most? Sorry if this is a silly question but I've learned from experience that a bit of homework and preparation is essential for enjoying these sorts of events especially as I have one replacement hip and another on the way out so cannot stand for hours on end. Any advice would be appreciated. We have Duxford parking tickets by the way so will not be using the park 'n ride. Thank you.

Hi.

Whilst there is parking on-site, chances are you'll be off-site opposite Duxford, access being gained by walking over a bridge to the main site. Therefore, I'd recommend going as light as possible - chair and camping mat/rug - basically not a trolley (though I've seen them at IWM before).

Not knowing which way you are coming from, I would also recommend getting there as early as possible - before gates open would be ideal. A good number of folks get on-site and pitch-up their gear, and then wander off to have a look around, these peeps must be banging on the gates ;-)

Hope that helps, I'm sure others will add a few suggestions also :-)

Enjoy the day.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

DerekGM6 wrote:Can I have some advice please as I am attending my first ever Duxford air show. Previously I have only ever been to RIAT, numerous times, which is obviously on a much bigger scale and I am used to taking a complete "life support system" into the showground comprising beach tent, camp chair, food, drink, etc etc all in a festival trolley. I take it that most of this is not necessary at Duxford and also I gather that the viewing area is likely to be much more concentrated and crowded, so one cannot take up more than one's fair share of ground space. A camp chair or stool at most? Sorry if this is a silly question but I've learned from experience that a bit of homework and preparation is essential for enjoying these sorts of events especially as I have one replacement hip and another on the way out so cannot stand for hours on end. Any advice would be appreciated. We have Duxford parking tickets by the way so will not be using the park 'n ride. Thank you.

If you need a sit down , pop into Hangar 4 - there are low easy chairs and a number of foldable wooden chairs to have a rest on.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

austinp wrote:

Hi.

Whilst there is parking on-site, chances are you'll be off-site opposite Duxford, access being gained by walking over a bridge to the main site. Therefore, I'd recommend going as light as possible - chair and camping mat/rug - basically not a trolley (though I've seen them at IWM before).

Not knowing which way you are coming from, I would also recommend getting there as early as possible - before gates open would be ideal. A good number of folks get on-site and pitch-up their gear, and then wander off to have a look around, these peeps must be banging on the gates ;-)

Hope that helps, I'm sure others will add a few suggestions also :-)

Enjoy the day.

Hi

The best option and it’s only an opinion based on experience would be to arrive as soon as the gates open 0730 ish !! depends on which way you are coming but go past the entrance and head towards Royston at the far end past the traffic lights you will find the entrance behind the AAM follow directions as you will be parked up near the fence (well closer than the other side of the road) it’s only a short walk to the fence line with plenty of toilets close bye and you can get back to the car during the day as often as you want so no need to take everything with you at once, If you have a disabled badge and ask the very helpful cadets they will park you as close as they can to the front if not explain you can’t walk to far and they are very helpful, I had a heart attack in January and for the May show I was parked front row and I don't have a badge. Just remember to have the car park pass on display as you enter the car. Hope that all helps park.
Have a good show

DerekGM6

Post by DerekGM6 »

Thank you autinp, iainpeden and the dudster, that is very helpful advice. I've been on Google Earth and checked out the layout and footbridge, so I am now much better prepared.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

The Dudster wrote:…. would be to arrive as soon as the gates open 0730 ish !! depends on which way you are coming but go past the entrance and head towards Royston at the far end past the traffic lights you will find the entrance behind the AAM follow directions as you will be parked up near the fence (well closer than the other side of the road) it’s only a short walk to the fence line with plenty of toilets close bye and you can get back to the car during the day as often as you want so no need to take everything with you at once, If you have a disabled badge and ask the very helpful cadets they will park you as close as they can to the front if not explain you can’t walk to far and they are very helpful, I had a heart attack in January and for the May show I was parked front row and I don't have a badge. Just remember to have the car park pass on display as you enter the car. Hope that all helps park.
Have a good show

Agree with this. As long as you are early (I usually arrive around 8.00), if you come from the M11 end then as stated above, stay in left lane so that you aren't forced into turning right, go past main entrance (and then past the right turn into the parking over the bridge), and then turn left into the public entrance behind the AAM as mentioned. If you are coming from the Royston direction then turn right into the same place. Either way if you are in this area at least your car can be your base for the day without taking all your belongings with you. With the Reds and the Typhoon present it is going to be very busy. Hope for good weather and enjoy your day!

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

Just looked, tickets available via this link.
Looks like the final option then if anyone is keen on parking near a railway station.
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/iwm-duxf ... agging%3DA

DerekGM6

Post by DerekGM6 »

IP1960 wrote:
The Dudster wrote:…. would be to arrive as soon as the gates open 0730 ish !! depends on which way you are coming but go past the entrance and head towards Royston at the far end past the traffic lights you will find the entrance behind the AAM follow directions as you will be parked up near the fence (well closer than the other side of the road) it’s only a short walk to the fence line with plenty of toilets close bye and you can get back to the car during the day as often as you want so no need to take everything with you at once, If you have a disabled badge and ask the very helpful cadets they will park you as close as they can to the front if not explain you can’t walk to far and they are very helpful, I had a heart attack in January and for the May show I was parked front row and I don't have a badge. Just remember to have the car park pass on display as you enter the car. Hope that all helps park.
Have a good show

Agree with this. As long as you are early (I usually arrive around 8.00), if you come from the M11 end then as stated above, stay in left lane so that you aren't forced into turning right, go past main entrance (and then past the right turn into the parking over the bridge), and then turn left into the public entrance behind the AAM as mentioned. If you are coming from the Royston direction then turn right into the same place. Either way if you are in this area at least your car can be your base for the day without taking all your belongings with you. With the Reds and the Typhoon present it is going to be very busy. Hope for good weather and enjoy your day!

Thank you very much, great advice!

MichaelJP

Post by MichaelJP »

An unlikely request but thought I would try: if anyone has one single ticket going spare for the BoB Airshow it would be much appreciated. Don't mind paying a bit over face value.

My other half is away and I was going to take my two little boys but never thought it would be a complete sellout!

Thanks - Michael

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

MichaelJP wrote:An unlikely request but thought I would try: if anyone has one single ticket going spare for the BoB Airshow it would be much appreciated. Don't mind paying a bit over face value.

My other half is away and I was going to take my two little boys but never thought it would be a complete sellout!

Thanks - Michael

You are very lucky. A friend who was going to this show has just contacted me to say he has unfortunately had an accident and is unable to use his weekend ticket. If you are interested PM me and I will put you in touch (the friend in question is not a member here).
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Aerodynamik

Post by Aerodynamik »

Likewise, looking for a Sunday entry ticket and parking ticket if anyone needs to cancel.

DocStirling

Post by DocStirling »

IP1960 wrote: If you are coming from the Royston direction then turn right into the same place. Either way if you are in this area at least your car can be your base for the day without taking all your belongings with you. With the Reds and the Typhoon present it is going to be very busy. Hope for good weather and enjoy your day!

When I came from the Royston direction for Legends, they weren't letting you turn right into the 'AAM' car park, across the traffic, as they have done for the last few years. I carried on to the traffic lights, went into the little housing estate, did a U-turn and came back out going the other way, i.e from the M11 end, to get into the AAM car park....

hdik
How Do I KNow

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

DocStirling wrote:
IP1960 wrote: If you are coming from the Royston direction then turn right into the same place. Either way if you are in this area at least your car can be your base for the day without taking all your belongings with you. With the Reds and the Typhoon present it is going to be very busy. Hope for good weather and enjoy your day!

When I came from the Royston direction for Legends, they weren't letting you turn right into the 'AAM' car park, across the traffic, as they have done for the last few years. I carried on to the traffic lights, went into the little housing estate, did a U-turn and came back out going the other way, i.e from the M11 end, to get into the AAM car park....

hdik

Thanks for this, I've not been able to attend Duxford this year as yet, I come from M11 side so doesn't affect me but worth noting for those that do come from Royston side!