Telemark Airshow 2018

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Agg
UKAR Staff

Telemark Airshow 2018

Post by Agg »

The small city of Notodden is most famous for it's annual blues festival, but a few years ago a group of enthusiasts came together to form the Telemark Airshow and to put Notodden on the airshow map. The show has grown a lot since it's inception and this year we were treated to displays by both the Starfighter and the SwAFHF's "new" Sk-37 Viggen.

This was a fantastic event to end the 2018 airshow season, the weather was fantastic, the atmosphere nice and relaxed and the flying superb. The only problem was that the bright and sunny weather made photography of anything in the air very difficult, as you have the sun in your face for most of the day. The whole display was supposed to end with an air power demo by two RNoAF F-16s, but one of them suffered a bird strike after take off from their base at Ørlandet and they had to return to base.

Hope you like the pictures, sadly I didn't get anything good of the Starfighter as the combination of dark aircraft against a bright back lit sky isn't exactly the best :P

08 by Fredrik Edvardsen, on Flickr

03 by Fredrik Edvardsen, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/29nPpEx]Image
[/url]09 by Fredrik Edvardsen, on Flickr

06 by Fredrik Edvardsen, on Flickr

01 by Fredrik Edvardsen, on Flickr

10 by Fredrik Edvardsen, on Flickr

04 by Fredrik Edvardsen, on Flickr

07 by Fredrik Edvardsen, on Flickr

GeorgeP

Re: Telemark Airshow 2018

Post by GeorgeP »

A nice set considering the awful light with which you had to contend. :up:

OMG! Any town that can offer an airshow at which I can see a Viggen and Starfighter PLUS attend a Bluesfest is my sorta town. I've put it on the list and will definitely visit. Thanks for mentioning the annual blues festival that is held there. :yahoo:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

CJS

Post by CJS »

Cracking set :clap:

I've often wondered why aircraft sometimes display with their drop tanks still on. Assuming the Viggen was based at the airfield, what's the point? Surely it just makes the aircraft less aerodynamic and it's not as if the fuel is needed for a short display. The RAF Typhoon does the same.

Surely the cleaner the configuration the better? Or am I missing something obvious? :dunno:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Love the Viggen photos, wonderful lines; IMHO the tanks provide a more 'in-service' feel to the aircraft's display configuration! :up:

Our preferred Viggen acquisition back in 2006 would have been a T-bird version; but as they often say beggars can't be choosers!!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Thank you for the nice comments guys :)

The Viggen flew in from it's home base during the show, landed, displayed and then went home again in the afternoon. With the SK being a two-seater they don't have to bring a support aircraft for shows like this as the crew chief rides in the back. So I'm guessing they didn't have anyone, or the equipment, on hand to remove the belly tank - furthermore I'm not sure they even refueled...

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Absolutely immense! :drool:

tmattias

Post by tmattias »

Re Viggen.

Not it’s homefield as it’s runways is reviceiving some much needed TLC.

The SK version has smaller fuel tanks so needs the drop tank to make the trip. Can’t speak for Viggen but Gripen does not suffer any significant reduction in aerodynamics due to a drop tank. It frequently displays with a drop tank under its belly.

But back to the show. Didn’t you feel the Viggen was doing it’s display way of from the display line? And not very dynamic? To be honest it was probably the worst Viggen display I’ve seen (and I’m from Sweden..)

The F-104D display felt less dynamic than Aalborg which was a shame.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Yup, I completely agree, the Viggen was very high and distant, there really was no point in trying to shoot the display it self. The display seemed to be the exact same display as we've seen every year since the restoration to flight, though a bit more sedate than usual, and without the reversal after landing. I hope they get another pilot checked out on the Viggen soon.

Webby74

Post by Webby74 »

Number 7, wow talk about in your face :worship: