RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Gonzo230

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Gonzo230 »

cg_341 wrote:Just to make it clear that personally I have no issues with percentage price rises, just with the fact that Friday customers are - quite frankly - being ripped off.

Would there be people who might actually pay more for a quieter day, even if less flying? Just thinking aloud. I’d probably consider it.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Gonzo230 wrote:
cg_341 wrote:Just to make it clear that personally I have no issues with percentage price rises, just with the fact that Friday customers are - quite frankly - being ripped off.

Would there be people who might actually pay more for a quieter day, even if less flying? Just thinking aloud. I’d probably consider it.

...why would they do that when they could get a quieter day with less flying for less money and nothing's different?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

boff180 wrote:Super Earlybird Prices for Friday

2015 - £26
2016 - £29
2017 - £29
2018 - £45*
2019 - £47
*one-off full show day

I didn't think i was mad, i thought it was about £30 a ticket with the exception of this year due to the 8 hour flying display.

As it's been said before I'd love to know the justification for the massive price hike, seems very strange...

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Gonzo230 wrote:
iaint wrote:I think it’s asked every year and the following years I always forget - but has anyone got a history of entry prices over the last 10years, for example?
Price continues to creep up and what’s the justification for continual rises? Super Earlybird tickets edging closer to £50, full price near to £60! :hypno:
Aware there will be those who try to counter by saying it’s only a £2 increase, very small, only 4% up on 2017 SE ticket price, but it’s yet another rise. Do the advertised prices also include admin and booking fees? Add a couple more quid on top then if not and you are at the £50/60 mark already...

Hence the question about a historical view of prices as it surely was much less than 10 years ago that Super Earlbirds were mid-£30 and the full price tickets also sub £50

Devils advocate......how much did your car insurance, home insurance, travel insurance, electricity, gas, petrol/diesel et al costs increase by over the past 12 months?

How much do we think RIAT’s costs have increased by since last year? Hotel accommodation for crews? Vehicle rental? Catering companies, fuel (aircraft and vehicle) etc?

None of my insurances, electricity, gas, petrol/diesel costs increased by 60% (the percentage increase in cost for a Friday ticket) in the last 24 months..... :tumbleweed:
Last edited by Adie1980 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Good Qu by Lyno on Twitter. They don't really answer the question. I might just be having a Friday brain, but it looks like RIAT just admitted that Friday 2019 is under the same conditions as 15/16/17? Unless I'm missing something, that makes it even harder to justify the increase, doesn't it?

[tweet]http://twitter.com/airtattoo/status/1045616439254831106[/tweet]

:dunno:

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Tommy wrote:Good Qu by Lyno on Twitter. They don't really answer the question. I might just be having a Friday brain, but it looks like RIAT just admitted that Friday 2019 is under the same conditions as 15/16/17? Unless I'm missing something, that makes it even harder to justify the increase, doesn't it?

[tweet]http://twitter.com/airtattoo/status/1045616439254831106[/tweet]

:dunno:

Nope i'm confused by that response, are they adding an extra charge on for arrivals / departures ? Either way it's left a bitter taste in my mouth, I could maybe understand if the early bird cost was £35-37 but at £47 i might just not bother with RIAT.

harkins

Post by harkins »

I can't help but get the feeling it's all getting increasingly corporate, bottom line driven and less and less personal as an event. But it's easy to dismiss any criticism of RIAT by saying "it's for charity" or using the increasingly popular ad hominem "entitled enthusiasts" response.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tommy wrote:I might just be having a Friday brain, but it looks like RIAT just admitted that Friday 2019 is under the same conditions as 15/16/17? Unless I'm missing something, that makes it even harder to justify the increase, doesn't it?

The obvious question is, just how much activity has there been on the previous Fridays that they've done the '4 hour display' ( in other words, 2014-17 ) and what's the point of referencing just 2017 when the attendance varies year-by-year?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Reading the article on flightline UK, it says that the theme of RIAT 2019 is 'Air & Space: Inspiring the next generation air force'. I thought it was 70 years of NATO. Maybe I missed something or it never was NATO, or in fact this article is also rubbish. Maybe it's both. Anyone know?
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

“AIR TATTOO SET TO BE OUT OF THIS WORLD” - I can see this quote getting referenced quite a bit this year on the forum :snack:

So along with the NATO anniversary theme, RIAT 2019 will also have the theme of ‘air and space’.

XB-37 confirmed!! :lol:

Edit: Note to self, need to type faster in future :grin:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Two T&C's have been updated/changed for 2019.

2. Tickets may be cancelled prior to 1/5/19 and you will be reimbursed the value of your booking less the £20 administration fee.
:whistle:
아직도 숨어있다

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Very bizzare logic in those Tweets 'justifying' the Friday price hike. Given the number of departures listed post-display I guess that fairly small total includes GA day visitors... Surely in that case Monday P&V tickets should be seriously expensive if the whole ticket pricing strategy is based on numbers of aircraft movements? :whistle:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

vulcanshammer wrote:Reading the article on flightline UK, it says that the theme of RIAT 2019 is 'Air & Space: Inspiring the next generation air force'. I thought it was 70 years of NATO. Maybe I missed something or it never was NATO, or in fact this article is also rubbish. Maybe it's both. Anyone know?

More than 1 theme I guess with NATO being the main one. While 2017 was USAF there was also the BBMF 60th.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

mark_aviation wrote:So along with the NATO anniversary theme, RIAT 2019 will also have the theme of ‘air and space’.

XB-37 confirmed!! :lol:

And the AN-225 :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Brevet Cable wrote:

2. Tickets may be cancelled prior to 1/5/19 and you will be reimbursed the value of your booking less the £20 administration fee.

Seriously? Are they taking the michael?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

vulcanshammer wrote:Reading the article on flightline UK, it says that the theme of RIAT 2019 is 'Air & Space: Inspiring the next generation air force'. I thought it was 70 years of NATO. Maybe I missed something or it never was NATO, or in fact this article is also rubbish. Maybe it's both. Anyone know?
There is a difference between anniversaries and operational themes. These have been run at the same show for as long as I've been going (1996).

From the top of my head: Skytanker 95 and the end of WWII (and maybe more).
Seasearch 96 together with 60 years Spitfire/30 years Harrier.
Fighter 97 with 50 years USAF/50 years supersonic flight.
Skywatch 98 80 years RAF/50 years Berlin Airlift.
99 had NATO 50 and Interoperability and this has been done at many more years.
Ouragan wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:

Seriously? Are they taking the michael?
Just did a test and it showed an admin fee of 2,50 GBP. Maybe someone at DBH had a typo mistake while putting in this rate? (Or while thinking further, is the admin fee for a cancellation 20,00, which was not possible at all before, so maybe an improvement for the public?)
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

It was certainly a £20 admin fee for changing the date on the ticket this year (I had to change from Fri to Sun due to a funeral) so presumably it's now the same for a cancellation.

CJS

Post by CJS »

In some ways charging for a cancellation is more understandable than for a date change, because there is a chance they won't be able to sell the ticket again. With a date change they've still got a punter getting what they've paid for so I really think it's a scandal.

I sort of think that, despite the technical headaches that would be involved, it would be much fairer to allow a cancellation for no or at least a small fee, on the understanding that a refund wouldn't be made until after the event and only then if the ticket had been successfully sold again.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

These price increases for next year seem a bit steep. Have attended for the last 4 years running and was thinking of maybe having a year off in 2019, this might have made up my mind.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I think RIAT have fallen victim to their own success. I agree with Harkins, everything has become so business orientated and corporate. So next year we can expect more chalets and clutter as well? I think i’m going to give it a miss next year on site for the first time and possibly do 2 nights at Totterdown. All this added with no buses for arrivals and depatures just makes up the decision for me. They expect me to pay money for them days with no access to it? Its all become too expensive. I would love to do Mach 3 but someone who’s not on the greatest salary is pretty much screwed. You’re looking at 200+ quid on tickets for the week, 400 on accomodation at a hotel, 100 on train there and back. Although hotel+train have nothing to do with RIAT its just becoming a ridicolous costing hobby which does leave a sour taste in my mouth instead of enjoyment.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Airshowhammer wrote:I think RIAT have fallen victim to their own success. I agree with Harkins, everything has become so business orientated and corporate. So next year we can expect more chalets and clutter as well? I think i’m going to give it a miss next year on site for the first time and possibly do 2 nights at Totterdown. All this added with no buses for arrivals and depatures just makes up the decision for me. They expect me to pay money for them days with no access to it? Its all become too expensive. I would love to do Mach 3 but someone who’s not on the greatest salary is pretty much screwed. You’re looking at 200+ quid on tickets for the week, 400 on accomodation at a hotel, 100 on train there and back. Although hotel+train have nothing to do with RIAT its just becoming a ridicolous costing hobby which does leave a sour taste in my mouth instead of enjoyment.

At £240, I think Mach 3 represents good value for money for 6 days of viewing; I wish I could have the time off to do it justice. Attending airshows isn't particularly cheap, especially if you have to travel and stay over, but it is a short season and can be budgeted for over the year.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I know this argument comes up every single year, but it still seems utterly ridiculous to me. RIAT is, without (much) question - the greatest airshow in the world. It's the kind of thing that people travel from all over the world to attend and costs about the same as many, many other decent days out.

FRIAT is, for me, always the way to go and represents probably the best value ticket for anything I do at all. Comparisons with live music, live sport, theme parks or any other kind of spectator event time after time after time only go to show RIAT to be excellent value for money.

If you think its a bad deal though - just don't go! If the price is high enough to damage demand, RAFCTE will soon drop the price.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I have my tickets including Friday mostly because I’ve already booked my hotel so I’m there for the week anyway but the Friday ticket price was a shock for sure and in the future I may just do the p & v the way the prices are going sadly

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

MiG_Eater wrote:I know this argument comes up every single year, but it still seems utterly ridiculous to me. RIAT is, without (much) question - the greatest airshow in the world. It's the kind of thing that people travel from all over the world to attend and costs about the same as many, many other decent days out.

FRIAT is, for me, always the way to go and represents probably the best value ticket for anything I do at all. Comparisons with live music, live sport, theme parks or any other kind of spectator event time after time after time only go to show RIAT to be excellent value for money.

If you think its a bad deal though - just don't go! If the price is high enough to damage demand, RAFCTE will soon drop the price.

I'm not complaining about the prices in general, just the huge jump from £29 to £47 for Friday (comparing next year to the last time there was a 'half day' show)

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I wonder if people will still be saying "either pay it or don't" if/when Mach 3 goes up by ~40% next year and is closer to £350..?