RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Post Reply
MiG_Eater
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by MiG_Eater »

There have been a couple of Friday unique items.

The F-35B / KC-130 refuelling demo was Friday only for instance.

The advantage of Friday was that with a smaller turn-out, and longer non-flying time - it was easier to get around and meet crews, talk to exhibitors and generally 'take in' the showground in a more relaxed way. There is also the advantage of seeing some arrivals and rehearsals which is often worthwhile.

I like it, I think its worth the money - i'm doing Mach 3 again. I guess some people will be put off, but i'm sure they'll enjoy their weekend ticket just as much!

Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Airshowhammer »

If you went to the zoo and only half of it was open on the Friday and the Saturday you could see everything for the exact same price what would you pick? I could understand if it was half the price on the Friday.

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Brevet Cable »

MiG_Eater wrote:i'm doing Mach 3 again

By your own argument of "...easier to get around and meet crews, talk to exhibitors and generally 'take in' the showground in a more relaxed way" you could just as easily argue that you could get a Mach 1 ticket, on the Saturday do some the statics before the displays & some after the displays, then on the Sunday only watch the displays which weren't on the Saturday schedule and therefore spend most of the day wandering around doing the statics you missed, chatting to the aircrews & checking out the tat-shops.
Sorted.
:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

MiG_Eater
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by MiG_Eater »

My argument isn't that Friday is better value than the weekend at all. My argument is that the price for Friday is worth it for me.

If I could only choose between Friday and Saturday - i'd get a Saturday ticket every time - but that doesn't mean I think Friday is poor value.

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Brevet Cable »

MiG_Eater wrote:My argument isn't that Friday is better value than the weekend at all. My argument is that the price for Friday is worth it for me

As per my last post, I'm arguing that you can do everything you said justified the Friday for you on the normal weekend showdays.

You say that you're doing Mach 3 again.
This would infer that you're there all week - is that correct?
If the Friday went back to just being a non-showday, would you still do Mach 3 ?

If you weren't doing Mach 3 & just buying individual day tickets, would you still buy all 3 this year?
If they reverted to Friday being a non-showday, would you still buy tickets for all 3 days ( so 2 showdays & 1 P&V day )?

If the answer to the second part of both them questions is yes, then it could be argued that the fact that the Friday is a showday is irrelevant.

I felt this year the Friday was worth the ticket price....I've never felt any of the 'half-shows' were ( not even the original 'RAFAT Pit Day' one ) and definitely don't think next year's one will be.
But as you say, it's a matter of personal opinion.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

MiG_Eater
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by MiG_Eater »

It would imply that i'm there all week... yes I am.

I just love RIAT - I want to be there the whole time and feel it to be great value for money so (to an extent) don't care what it costs; so the answer to all three questions is yes.

My basic point is - I think airshows are madly under priced for what they are and to me, any single day at RIAT is money well spent. My perplexion comes because people complain about the price... Why not just not go and spend your money on something that is worth your money?

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Brevet Cable »

MiG_Eater wrote:It would imply that i'm there all week... yes I am.

Nope.....infer
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

MiG_Eater
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by MiG_Eater »

Brevet Cable wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:It would imply that i'm there all week... yes I am.

Nope.....infer


No. You inferred that I was there all week because I implied it.

https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/cho ... ply-infer/

User avatar
Tmyers123
Posts: 1069
Joined: Thu 03 May 2018, 6:05 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Tmyers123 »

Oh dear :sleepy:

User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff
Posts: 9024
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 2:28 pm
Location: Solihull
Contact:

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by boff180 »


austinp
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu 15 Aug 2013, 12:44 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by austinp »

boff180 wrote:Sigh.....

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=81547&p=840372#p840372



Love your profile pic :-)

It applies to every situation.

Anyone sorted out tickets yet?

User avatar
harkins
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm
Location: Stockport

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by harkins »

Glad to see the Tuesday arrivals hasn't been retained after '18. That'll save me a days holiday, a nights accommodation and the entry price on top of the FRIAT ticket. I still don't believe that the Tuesday was really necessary when looking back. Ok, they did suffer quite a few cancellations during the arrival days, but all the same, there was plenty of downtime, especially on the Tuesday.

Another good thing is that after last years stellar expectations for the longer, larger International celebration of RAF100 my expectations are lower than a slugs belly this year. With Tornado and Tucano(?) and Sea King removed from the list of ever dwindling types in British service and the similar reduction of types serving in Europe and the lack of that special reason to make the effort to be there, I guess we can just be grateful to see anything get confirmed this year. And we can also learn from last year that special paint schemes are more than likely not going to pitch up at Fairford.

Despite all that, it'll still near as damn it sell out and will still be the best airshow you'll see in Europe all year (weather depending).

MiG_Eater
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by MiG_Eater »

Best airshow in Europe? Is there a better airshow anywhere!?

If 2019 gets close to the quality of '17 or '18 I will be utterly amazed - but we'll see. There's still a realistic prospect of a Phantom, Mig-29, MiG-21, Su-27 and a few other showstoppers. DBH always seem to pull it out of the bag, to a lesser or greater degree - but lets see.

I signed up for Mach 3 again at this years show, so come what may - i'll be there.

Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Airshowhammer »

The reason why the show keeps getting more and more expensive is due to people who say ‘oh yeah but if you compare it premier league football or the F1...’. Stop trying to justify rising costs. Yeah its fine if you can afford to splash out. But a premier league game/F1 isn’t usually 5/6 days. RIAT is still the best airshow in the world for types, but in terms of accessibility on the crowdline and prices not a chance.

MiG_Eater
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by MiG_Eater »

RIAT is the best show I have ever been to for crowd line accessibility. At the western end you can find a spot at the front at literally any time in the display.

User avatar
capercaillie
Posts: 7925
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 3:04 pm
Location: Leominster

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by capercaillie »

Yes, we get it, you like RIAT. :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

User avatar
spellow3010
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed 17 Sep 2014, 1:12 pm
Location: Rugby
Contact:

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by spellow3010 »

Another recent convert to Mach 3 here and another 'would love it to be RIAT every day' merchant. That's what I am. The price I will pay for Mach 3 is overall value for money.

However, the price hike for individual bookers for the Friday of 2019 is scandalous in my opinion. Half a show, presumably half the showground. Even a fully open showground doesn't do it for me unless Coldplay, A-ha or some other major attraction are playing. Recent years have seen comparatively few actual arrivals and rehearsals in the time around the half-show.

I join the band of people here seeking for some reasoned rationale from RIAT Marketing behind the pricing of Friday 2019. Charity or not, the pricing is positively crooked.

All I can think of is, there is something big going to happen on the Friday (localised weather permitting) that will justify the price. It just hasn't been announced yet.

JMHO. :surrender:

MiG_Eater
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by MiG_Eater »

Could be the return of Alexandra Burke?

(no... I didn't defend RIAT over that one!)

User avatar
aviodromefriend
Posts: 2400
Joined: Sat 26 Jun 2010, 2:22 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by aviodromefriend »

harkins wrote:and will still be the best airshow you'll see in Europe all year (weather depending).
Zeltweg, with a bit of luck Volkel, Sanicole...
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

User avatar
speedbird2639
Posts: 1257
Joined: Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by speedbird2639 »

MiG_Eater wrote:RIAT is the best show I have ever been to for crowd line accessibility. At the western end you can find a spot at the front at literally any time in the display.


That's because with a predominantly Westerly/ SW wind most acts will take off and land from the East. Meaning if you are down the Western end you won't be able to get any take off or landing shots and modern jet fighters can turn in such a tight circle that their displays will only be in front of 25-30% of the crowd line (mainly the chalets).

I used to like going on the Friday. I thought it was expensive for what it was but it gave you a chance to see the main acts and more time to wander around a less crowded but truncated static. Also, given the nature of the British weather it gave you some 'insurance' against a total washout if Sat or Sun were wet.

Personally, they have lost a ticket sale with that price rise. I'm fortunate in the fact that, unlike many, I can afford it - I just choose not to. The price rise is completely unjustifiable - if they were offering something extra compared to previous years then maybe - but to just rachet the price up because they seem to think we are all just 'cash pinatas' who can be whacked until no more money falls out seems to send a very cynical message as to how the RIAT marketing team perceive their customers.

I think this year I will be waiting until I have a much better idea of who/what is attending the show as I would rather pay £57 later in the year for a decent show than waste £47 rushing for a Super Earlybird ticket only to find the show is a 'pup'.

MiG_Eater
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by MiG_Eater »

Even though I am in FRIAT, I often make a point of watching some of the display from the far Western end because the view is different. OK - not necessarily objectively better - but I think it's worth spending some time there.

It was by far the best place to watch the impressive sudden-pitch-up style take-offs favoured by the F-22 and Mig-29 and is probably the best place on the showground to watch curving passes. I remember vividly the final Ramex Delta display flying almost directly over us.

It's a great spot, and there is *loads* of space.

User avatar
pbeardmore
Posts: 4336
Joined: Thu 06 Nov 2008, 9:16 am

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by pbeardmore »

Its a clever price hike re the Friday (not justifying it), they put the price up in accordance with a full show, then reduce the full show to a half show but keep the price high. It's a classic tactic, interesting to see if it works. Its such a big price increase that they can take a big hit in numbers but still bring in more cash and have a lower workload re handling less people. The technical term is "price elasticity".

Obviously, there will be fewer people next year on the Friday but we will never know how much of that is down to the price hike and how much is becasue its a half show. So the best comparison is with 2018 figures and my gut reaction is that they will bring in more cash.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by rockfordstone »

part of me wonders if its a ploy to get bodies in on the saturday and sunday so they can push the "sell out weekend" line later in the year.

given the success of the last 2 years, perhaps they anticipate a drop off in attendance for a non RAF/USAF based show of the past 2 years.

the normal thought process of the average fan will be "why pay the same amount for half a show? let's just go saturday or sunday"

perhaps it's a sacrifice attendance on the friday to maximize the weekend takings idea, with the price rise still bringing in an income from the addicts

User avatar
Duffer
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu 01 May 2014, 11:18 am

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Duffer »

Could it be a reason to get rid of the Friday display all together? By saying it’s not viable to hold Friday display because numbers don’t justify it

clearstone
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2008, 9:09 am
Location: UK

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by clearstone »

Duffer wrote:Could it be a reason to get rid of the Friday display all together? By saying it’s not viable to hold Friday display because numbers don’t justify it


There's a far easier way of doing that, cancel the Friday altogether and be done with it.

There's no doubt a reason why they've aligned the ticket prices which those responsible have had to justify to the company. (eg. Perhaps when they look at the figures, Friday runs at too much of a loss)

If the price increase works, it works and they'll stick with it. If it doesn't then no doubt they'll have a rethink for 2020.

Post Reply