Northolt Night Photoshoot XXV Thursday 18th October 2018

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Berf

Re: Northolt Night Photoshoot XXV Thursday 18th October 2018

Post by Berf »

Anyone mention anything about March being the only one next year with the runway being refurbished for eight months from April?

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Berf wrote:Anyone mention anything about March being the only one next year with the runway being refurbished for eight months from April?

Where did you hear that? Its news to me.
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Its been rumoured for the last 2 years but seems the Ruislip public are concerned about the amount of lorries and other vehicles causing congestion on what is already a very busy stretch of road and also the amount of new airliners that will be using it(thats a joke btw).
With reduced operating hours for civil movements and closed at weekends it seems less and less traffic will be using the base anyway and finding alternative airfields to use.

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

:shock: I meant its news to me there would be only one Night Photoshoot next year? I fully expect to be running a Night Photoshoot in March and October 2019.
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

isaacdai2000 wrote:Quick edit from tonight https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9096328
Thank you to Phil and the team, another Brilliant night shoot.

Nice shot, Isaac! Nice chatting to you on the tube!

Berf

Post by Berf »

Graf Zeppelin wrote::shock: I meant its news to me there would be only one Night Photoshoot next year? I fully expect to be running a Night Photoshoot in March and October 2019.

Great - that's all I was asking I don't know if there will be a runway closure but asked because:

1. An already announced resurfacing was postponed in 2018

2. I read this in an Ops Group bulletin:

EGWU/Northolt The airport will be closing for up to 8 months in 2019, for runway and apron refurbishments. Exact dates are yet to be confirmed, but closure is expected from early April, with possible reopening in Dec. Until then, the airport has confirmed it will only accept non-military flights Mon-Fri from 08-17 local time.

May well be nothing in it - just asking as I live abroad and need to plan in advance and may well arrange to come in March especially if I knew there was not one October.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Graf Zeppelin wrote::shock: I meant its news to me there would be only one Night Photoshoot next year? I fully expect to be running a Night Photoshoot in March and October 2019.

Phil,

How likely are we to ever get back to having the visiting aircraft running their engines again? The Dragon Rapide, for one, would have looked fantastic running under the lights.

Thanks for you, and your teams efforts in putting these on :)

Dan

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Without engines running, I found it a relaxing and enjoyable evening. Wasn't having to run up and down the pan to get a spot for an engine run and then getting blocked in and jostled for 15, 20 minutes and not able to move to get a different angle.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Pen Pusher wrote:Without engines running, I found it a relaxing and enjoyable evening. Wasn't having to run up and down the pan to get a spot for an engine run and then getting blocked in and jostled for 15, 20 minutes and not able to move to get a different angle.

Brian

Yup agreed, everything seemed much more civilised. :D

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

lynothehammer wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:Without engines running, I found it a relaxing and enjoyable evening. Wasn't having to run up and down the pan to get a spot for an engine run and then getting blocked in and jostled for 15, 20 minutes and not able to move to get a different angle.

Brian

Yup agreed, everything seemed much more civilised. :D

I have to agree (much as I miss the spinning rotors!)….. very calm, and I finished fairly quickly, so back home much earlier!

Cheers
Alisdair

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Have to agree, it seemed more relaxed last week, although I spent the first hour chatting instead of photographing :lol:
Thanks to Phil and the team for pulling together a great evening again.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

frank

Post by frank »

Brian

Excellent point Brian, I was trying to put my finger on why it felt more relaxed than previous photoshoots. Really enjoyed going up and down the line with no crowding apart from when the Merlin arrived with engines running. Kinda proves the point you made perhaps

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

I can only agree with all the above points plus of course there was also the excellent (and great value) food to be had and also some goodies to peruse whether it was from the RAF or visiting crews. Almost like a social event....well done all. :clap:
...Rad shutters auto.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Relaxed evening... but engine runs do make more for dramatic shots. Simple as that. :up:

An enjoyable evening nonetheless... so thanks Phil and to the team that made it all happen.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

ashenden92

Post by ashenden92 »

Thanks to Phil and the team a very relaxed event

I agree ref it was far less of a scrum that I have witnessed in the past with people trying to get pictures of engine running, I look forward to the next event

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Berf wrote:

Great - that's all I was asking I don't know if there will be a runway closure but asked because:

1. An already announced resurfacing was postponed in 2018

2. I read this in an Ops Group bulletin:

EGWU/Northolt The airport will be closing for up to 8 months in 2019, for runway and apron refurbishments. Exact dates are yet to be confirmed, but closure is expected from early April, with possible reopening in Dec. Until then, the airport has confirmed it will only accept non-military flights Mon-Fri from 08-17 local time.

May well be nothing in it - just asking as I live abroad and need to plan in advance and may well arrange to come in March especially if I knew there was not one October.

MOD press release for it published today :
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/contract-awarded-to-resurface-raf-northolt-runway
Still no specific dates, though.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

A Tamron lens cap was handed in during the Night Photoshoot. If you think it may be yours please send me a PM or e-mail.
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Graf Zeppelin wrote:A Tamron lens cap was handed in during the Night Photoshoot. If you think it may be yours please send me a PM or e-mail.

Now reunited with its owner :smile:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende