Tom105

Royal Navy International Air Day 2019

Post by Tom105 »

Date confirmed as 13th July 2019! :yahoo:
Thomas

Finningley Boy

Re: Royal Navy International Air Day 2019

Post by Finningley Boy »

I see it's being billed as the Royal Navy International Air Day, I'll therefore ask a really stupid question, is it actually being held at Yeovilton? :cuppa:

Only I heard a whisper, or read somewhere, about Yeovilton getting a runway resurfacing or something such nonsense? Therefore, Culdrose? :wink:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Finningley Boy wrote:I see it's being billed as the Royal Navy International Air Day, I'll therefore ask a really stupid question, is it actually being held at Yeovilton? :cuppa:

Only I heard a whisper, or read somewhere, about Yeovilton getting a runway resurfacing or something such nonsense? Therefore, Culdrose? :wink:

FB :biggrin:

Email, received this morning, states the Air Day is being held at RNAS Yeovilton in 2019.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

"The subtle but significant name change reflects this but also our aspiration to build on the growing reputation of the airshow by attracting further participation by foreign naval air arms and maritime aircraft."

I mean, it's already pretty much right up there on that front, so they must be really bold!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Surely that's the Indian Navy Mig-29Ks all but confirmed?

Post by 106500 »

Seeing as Culdrose airdays seem to have been all but abandoned (a most unfortunate and regrettable change in policy) perhaps the overall title of this thread should change?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

So what's the betting this clashes with Legends?

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

boff180 wrote:So what's the betting this clashes with Legends?

100% it will clash so yeovilton Saturday legends Sunday by the look of it.
Thomas

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wissam24 wrote:"The subtle but significant name change reflects this but also our aspiration to build on the growing reputation of the airshow by attracting further participation by foreign naval air arms and maritime aircraft."

I mean, it's already pretty much right up there on that front, so they must be really bold!

Good grief, trying to become the excellent airshow it was from the 70s to the 90s, what a crazy idea! :dizzy:

Can they not see the market leader that Farnborough is and go for the seaside line up at £50 a head, huge gaps in the display and shuttle buses in. Fools.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

They just don't *get* airshows
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Mike

Post by Mike »

Tom105 wrote:

100% it will clash...

I wasn't aware that any official announcement has been made regarding Flying Legends 2019.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Mike wrote:
Tom105 wrote:

100% it will clash...

I wasn't aware that any official announcement has been made regarding Flying Legends 2019.

But legends has been on the second weekend in July for years so it is quite likely

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Not sure if Yeovilton/RNIAD do themes, but a '100 years of Eric Brown' event featuring aircraft that he flew would offer an interesting and diverse Navy-heavy display which charts some quite considerable evolutionary jumps in aviation history. Looking through the rather expansive list, there's plenty to choose from and quite a number of said aircraft are either quite achievable or already on the display circuit, so not in the realms of fantasy.

That said, I'm fully expecting the National Air and Space Museum's Arado 234B to be on static display :grin:
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

PSnet gallery
mwneedham.com

CJS

Post by CJS »

Hammy wrote:Not sure if Yeovilton/RNIAD do themes, but a '100 years of Eric Brown' event featuring aircraft that he flew would offer an interesting and diverse Navy-heavy display which charts some quite considerable evolutionary jumps in aviation history.

Or, put more simply, 'aircraft'...
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

darkman

Post by darkman »

Tom105 wrote:

100% it will clash so yeovilton Saturday legends Sunday by the look of it.

That's my plan too

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I went to Yeovilton this year for the first time in quite a few years. Have to say that I was really quite disappointed, it was not the show of fond memory. I won't be going again.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

AlexC wrote:I went to Yeovilton this year for the first time in quite a few years. Have to say that I was really quite disappointed, it was not the show of fond memory. I won't be going again.

I went for the first time this year (regular RIAT attendee) and for £20 odd thought it was an excellent show!
Attending Daks over Normandy (Duxford), Yeovilton Air Day 2019, RIAT 2019 & Bournemouth Air Festival 2019

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

AlexC wrote:I went to Yeovilton this year for the first time in quite a few years. Have to say that I was really quite disappointed, it was not the show of fond memory. I won't be going again.

That's interesting Alex. I haven't been to Yeovilton for years and years, mainly because of the fixture congestion at that time of year if I'm honest, but looking at it from afar it looks very appealing, with strong line ups. In what way were you disappointed?
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

Your expectations are too high if this was the case.

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

Went for the first time this year and had a great day. 300 mile round trip too. The weather definitely helped but thought it was a great day.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Tickets have gone on sale today. It is interesting that they have divided the grandstand into two separate sections. The upper rows are for photographers only and this is still called the Lynx enclosure. The lower rows are for non photographers and this is now Wessex enclosure.

darkman

Post by darkman »

Lynx is half photographer and half non photographer. Wessex is a separate enclosure.

See map here
http://www.store.yeoviltonairday.co.uk/ ... tographers

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

darkman wrote:Lynx is half photographer and half non photographer. Wessex is a separate enclosure.

See map here
http://www.store.yeoviltonairday.co.uk/ ... tographers

You're quite right, not sure how I misread such a clear thing.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

What a great idea.

harkins

Post by harkins »

It's a good idea, however, is it really fair to charge an extra £5 for having a telephoto lens? I accept that you're sat a fraction higher up the stand in the photographers section, but I can't think of any other stand that has higher prices the higher the row you get. At one point it's about 1 foot higher and 2 foot further back for £5. Maybe all rows should increment 50p from the lowest row.