I need to stop looking at this thread. :sad:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Robin

Re: Tornados left in service

Post by Robin »

I was visiting my Daughter in Devon last week, and while waiting on Tiverton station for the train back to London on Wednesday, I was overflown by Two Tornados in trail at low level, wonderful sight. Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Absolutely criminal that they’re going to go out with a whimper. Took the Role demo in 2012 for granted. Once the Tonkas are gone i’m pretty sure the RAF wins the award for the least interesting air force. Gutted isn’t the word.

FGR.4

Post by FGR.4 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Once the Tonkas are gone i’m pretty sure the RAF wins the award for the least interesting air force. Gutted isn’t the word.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_Air_Force

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Airshowhammer wrote:Absolutely criminal that they’re going to go out with a whimper. Took the Role demo in 2012 for granted. Once the Tonkas are gone i’m pretty sure the RAF wins the award for the least interesting air force. Gutted isn’t the word.

Some say the RAF haven't celebrated their 100 anniversary properly. So you think they will a type that is going out of service? They are operationally deployed and are likely will be until the last days of their service. The top brass won't want to be seen retiring a type that is or was still used operational, so it's likely going to be low key farewell.

Currently 21 airframes left, 8 of which are deployed. It's likely the RAF 100 was the last mass flypast of the mighty fin we will see. With still a handful still to go to RTP, there simply won't be the airframes to do anything. Sad fact the Tornados taking part in the RAF 100 had a huge impact on fleet and training.

Name a type that you can truly say went out of service with the manor they deserve in recent years, other than possibly the SAR Sea King?
Gary

FGR.4

Post by FGR.4 »

RTP?

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Reduce to Produce.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

138EAW wrote:

Name a type that you can truly say went out of service with the manor they deserve in recent years, other than possibly the SAR Sea King?

Genuinely struggling to think of any other than the Harrier, though that's not really recent.

And even then I suppose that was hero to zero pretty swiftly, so I'm guessing that they had a lot of servicible machines and a lot of crews to man them, which allowed for a big formation, rather than a slow gradual drawdown that the Tornados and their crews are having.

Still, insofar as the Tornado fleet was concerned, it was pretty gratifying to see the OP Granby-coloured machine two years ago... Even if it spent a lot of time in maintenance.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Posted on FC, ZA556/ 047 returned from Cyprus yesterday and has now been withdrawn. 20 left
Gary

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

it's very sad. i'm lucky that one of the Marham lot has taken residence in Duxford so there are 2 there to look at.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

138EAW wrote:Posted on FC, ZA556/ 047 returned from Cyprus yesterday and has now been withdrawn. 20 left

Still outnumber F35s then!

fighterfoto

Post by fighterfoto »

138EAW wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Absolutely criminal that they’re going to go out with a whimper. Took the Role demo in 2012 for granted. Once the Tonkas are gone i’m pretty sure the RAF wins the award for the least interesting air force. Gutted isn’t the word.

The top brass won't want to be seen retiring a type that is or was still used operational, so it's likely going to be low key farewell.

Well CAS got a DFC flying a Tornado, ACM Stu Peach was OC IX(B), ACAS was OC XIII and DCom Cap OC 12(B). AOC 1 was instrumental in the last Harrier event at Cottesmore, AOC 2 was OC 617. So your supposition may be wide of the mark.

Inevitably the managed drawdown of the fleet, the fact the end comes before the 2019 air show season and because the jet remains on ops striking Da’esh will mean that events to mark the retirement are not as high profile as many would wish. But the desire is there to give the old girl a good send off.

However it is worth noting that, as with the RAF 100 celebrations, these are not geared solely toward enthusiasts. Some provisional plans are in place but others are still to be approved, so whilst it is frustrating the fact what’s happening hasn’t been disclosed doesn’t mean nothing will happen.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Updated the list, there should be 19 left GR4 =16, GR4(T) =3

Of the 16 frontline jet, 8 are out in Cyprus. Rumours say the will not return until nearly the OSD. Doesn't leave much time for a farewell with Tornados available in any great numbers
Gary

fighterfoto

Post by fighterfoto »

138EAW wrote:Rumours say the will not return until nearly the OSD. Doesn't leave much time for a farewell with Tornados available in any great numbers

Only if the rumours are true.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Update, now that this is confirmed and not just a facebook rumour.

Due to a very minor incident just before Christmas being under investigation - Tornado ops are restricted to medium and high altitude operations only until retirement.

Therefore there is zero chance of catching the specials out and about except in airfield circuits over the next few months.

Andy

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

boff180 wrote:Update, now that this is confirmed and not just a facebook rumour.

Due to a very minor incident just before Christmas being under investigation - Tornado ops are restricted to medium and high altitude operations only until retirement.

Therefore there is zero chance of catching the specials out and about except in airfield circuits over the next few months.

Andy

Any link to the official source.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Source is a very well regarded enthusiast who has spoken to a Tornado pilot (who can't be named for obvious reasons) that confirmed the restriction is in place following the random posts that appeared on Facebook this morning. I've waited for more legitimate sources to confirm before posting.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

boff180 wrote:Source is a very well regarded enthusiast who has spoken to a Tornado pilot (who can't be named for obvious reasons) that confirmed the restriction is in place following the random posts that appeared on Facebook this morning. I've waited for more legitimate sources to confirm before posting.

So a man in the pub got told from a friend etc,

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Well being as a well respected member of the FC forum, Blackcat1, has also been told it first hand by a Tornado WSO (link) the sources are fairly legitimate.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Just posted on FC, flying likely to cease on the 15th March. So 60 days left :sad:
Gary

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Reported on FC, the fleet is now down to 17

ZA554/ 046
ZA607 / 070

Both WFU in late 2018
Gary

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LiveSideMediaUK/status/1088749574649466881[/tweet]

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

At least 3 of the Shader jet are coming home for the last time, plotting near Paris

ZA463 / 028
ZA597 / 063
ZD848 /109

Edit 5 jets are due home, according to a post on FC
Gary

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Feet wet @ 13.45 across the Channel.

If you read this boys an girls, thanks, and job well done! :up:
Got to love Russianhardware