RAF Tucano preservation?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Orion

RAF Tucano preservation?

Post by Orion »

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... en-454167/

Now that this has happened, are there any plans to preserve a Tucano? Excepting that is the obligatory one for the RAF Museum.

cg_341

Re: RAF Tucano preservation?

Post by cg_341 »

There are two preserved Tucanos; ZF167 at Long Kesh and ZF202 at Linton-on-Ouse.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

I like the bit in that link that says "all configured to meet UK needs", considering all the stuff that doesn't conform to the RAF's current equipment and needs.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

As I have stated elsewhere, at the present time there's a good deal of speculation that not many Tucano aircraft will make it into preservation; most are expected to be returned to the manufacturer.

Plus some of the airframes that went to the USA are now reselling for large numbers!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

A lot of those Tucanos have low hours. Could be potential for resale to nations unable to afford brand new T-6s or PC-21s, particularly if given a glass cockpit and hardpoints?

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Rather depends on what the disposal service agency does. It is/was a popular airframe in the USA, and previous disposals have mostly gone across the pond.

I don't think what is left of Shorts/Bombardier would want them NAM Updater.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Rumor has always been that the Shorts Tucano were all hand built so there is a lack of 100% commonality across the airframes. Whether many other airforces would want these is a good question. I would be surprised to see many in preservation, just like the Harriers and GR4's. Would the CAA allow them to be operated in the uk under a permit?

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Binbrook 01 wrote:Rather depends on what the disposal service agency does. It is/was a popular airframe in the USA, and previous disposals have mostly gone across the pond.

I don't think what is left of Shorts/Bombardier would want them NAM Updater.

It does indeed, but this came from an official source and my understanding is that they were perhaps talking about a return to Embraer, as opposed to Shorts/Bombardier - time will tell!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

farnboroughrob wrote:Rumor has always been that the Shorts Tucano were all hand built so there is a lack of 100% commonality across the airframes. Whether many other airforces would want these is a good question. I would be surprised to see many in preservation, just like the Harriers and GR4's. Would the CAA allow them to be operated in the uk under a permit?

The RAF Tucanos were built by a load of ex. ship-builders using wooden jigs at Shorts in Belfast, the jigs contracted & expanded due to the moisture in the atmosphere (exactly like the Nimrods at Woodford), apparently none of the airframes are the exactly the same size and major components (like wings) cannot be interchanged. This is a huge part of why the Nimrod MRA4 project was cancelled.

Rick

Post by Rick »

Big Eric wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote:Rumor has always been that the Shorts Tucano were all hand built so there is a lack of 100% commonality across the airframes. Whether many other airforces would want these is a good question. I would be surprised to see many in preservation, just like the Harriers and GR4's. Would the CAA allow them to be operated in the uk under a permit?

The RAF Tucanos were built by a load of ex. ship-builders using wooden jigs at Shorts in Belfast, the jigs contracted & expanded due to the moisture in the atmosphere (exactly like the Nimrods at Woodford), apparently none of the airframes are the exactly the same size and major components (like wings) cannot be interchanged. This is a huge part of why the Nimrod MRA4 project was cancelled.

There's the tale that went around some years ago that one RAF airframe had an extra rib in one wing to the other. Not a clue if it was true though.
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

They were a nightmare for interchangeability when we had the first batch at Scampton.
Could even swap over some panels due to holes being in different places...
Canon systems

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

reheat module wrote:They were a nightmare for interchangeability when we had the first batch at Scampton.

Some of the early batch had access panels drilled on BOTH sides of the fuselage. The ones not required were rivited over!

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

farnboroughrob wrote:Would the CAA allow them to be operated in the uk under a permit?

Makes me wonder if any of them could end up in private hands, after all there are privately owned JP's/Strike Masters flying about?

Lucasjmet15

Post by Lucasjmet15 »

Roughcutter wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote:Would the CAA allow them to be operated in the uk under a permit?

Makes me wonder if any of them could end up in private hands, after all there are privately owned JP's/Strike Masters flying about?

I believe that there are already 2 ex-RAF Tucanos up for sale to via platinum fighter sales ?

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

That's correct, ZF200 & ZF266, both of which currently reside in the US.

Mike

Post by Mike »

http://www.rswarbirds.com/

This company bought up 20+ Tucanos, and have been selling them into the US market for a decade now.

TomG

Post by TomG »

reheat module wrote:They were a nightmare for interchangeability when we had the first batch at Scampton.

Memories of the Phantom, panels came undrilled and you drilled the fastener holes as per the aircraft you were carrying out the work; aircraft per production batch were subtly different.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

TomG wrote:

Memories of the Phantom, panels came undrilled and you drilled the fastener holes as per the aircraft you were carrying out the work; aircraft per production batch were subtly different.

Was this before you were on Jaguars at Bruggen, Tom. Leuchars perhaps?

TomG

Post by TomG »

Big Eric wrote:
TomG wrote:

Was this before you were on Jaguars at Bruggen, Tom. Leuchars perhaps?

Aye, happy days.

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

Dear Santa,
If I promise to be very very good and not wind up or annoy anybody for a whole year please can I have a Tucano for Christmas 2019 ....