Tornado Farewell Photo shoot 25th January 2019

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
138EAW

Tornado Farewell Photo shoot 25th January 2019

Post by 138EAW »

According to various Facebook pages Marham are hosting a Tornado farewell afternoon photo shoot. With a suggested donation of £25

RAF Marham Media Team are going to host a Tornado Farewell Enthusiast Day on the 25th of January. Places are on a first come first served basis

To register your interest email the team at- MRM-Enthusiastsday@mod.gov.uk

Gary

FTS

Re: Tornado Farewell Photo shoot 25th January 2019

Post by FTS »

Thanks for the heads up :up:
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Indeed, thanks for giving the board the heads up 138EAW.

I've sent my email in, see what transpires. I can imagine it'll be popular. A day-time shoot is such a rare treat.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Thanks for posting. :up: E-mail sent so hopefully something to look forward to in the New Year. Its likely to be popular though so taking nothing for granted

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

I’ve been given a place!
Nikon D500

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I emailed my application within two hours of it being made public and....

I've not been given a place and also refused a place on the waiting list.

They said they've had over 1,000 applications so far, all places were filled within 1.5hrs of the advertisement going live...... I can only assume that this Tornado farewell event will be tiny on the basis that only a few people are going to be let on base.

Not what the Tornado deserves, it deserves an event of the scale or bigger that we saw for the 25sqn F3 disbandment.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

boff180 wrote:I can only assume that this Tornado farewell event will be tiny on the basis that only a few people are going to be let on base.

Yep, I'm in the same boat Andy. I was a lot later than two hours after the poster was released.. my hopes weren't high. It stands to reason its going to be popular. I'm assuming there'll be a lot more than 250 people on base though, they were just the public tickets.

Hopefully its not the only event run.

(although I suspect it may be).

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Well done Harvo,

must have been many 'in the know' and got the info before it was posted here.

I did not get a place unfortunately, but i guess it was probably filled up already before it was posted here as i sent my mail off exactly 2 mins after the original post info here. lol

Oh well, maybe the loop beckons instead for me.
cheers
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

boff180 wrote:I emailed my application within two hours of it being made public and....

I've not been given a place and also refused a place on the waiting list.

They said they've had over 1,000 applications so far, all places were filled within 1.5hrs of the advertisement going live...... I can only assume that this Tornado farewell event will be tiny on the basis that only a few people are going to be let on base.

Not what the Tornado deserves, it deserves an event of the scale or bigger that we saw for the 25sqn F3 disbandment.

Does anyone know where and exactly when the advert went live?
As mentioned mine went in 2 minutes after the post here, and to be honest i thought myself in with a good chance, especially as i got well fleeced for the debacle earlier in the year (that's £200.00 donated to the local economy there and then), so you would have thought that we might have been given first 'dibs', but alas no.

Mind you for £25 sheets what are you going to get as the rest of us paid £50 for just 3 aircraft?

The more i think of it, the more i'm ever so slightly miffed at missing out and not being given an even or more than even chance of a place! :wall:
And yes, i know, it sounds childish, but i dont care :tongue2: lol
Got to love Russianhardware

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Even if this event is twice as good as the earlier in the year it will still be a poor event.

Have to say typical of the current RAF, a half hearted event with supply set at a ridiculously low level. Surely such an aircarft requires an event open to all, position whatever airframes are left around the HAS area, in a variety of weapons fits, off base parking for security, marshall it correctly, charge a sum to cover the cost of off base parking and a charitable donation, and you could have any number of people on base for their final farewell photographs, goodwill all round.

I bet they will have a nice farewell black tie dinner though.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

st24

Post by st24 »

Expectedly rubbish. The RAF have lost the plot with this kind of thing, as they've proven many times of late. An aeroplane of such significance as the Tornado deserves a right royal send off (literally probably will with a visit from HMs finest and the public banned from within 20 miles of the base...)
Just imagine what a great photo call would've been arranged in the good old days.. :surrender:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Kevin Martin

Post by Kevin Martin »

I suspect then that there more Brits, travelling more than 6-7000 miles each that were able to freely attend the public send off for the Japanese F-4's of 302 Hikotai than will be able to attend this "event".

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I didn't applyanyway because of work commitments so I suppose that I can't wait to see Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and forums awash with hundreds of nearly identical images with very subtly different editing for about three weeks after the event, though. That'll be mega. :roll:

I will say this for RAF Marham, at least they learned from the pricing woes of that last event. Let's be honest, with the hobby the way it is at the moment, they could've charged £100 a pop and it would've still sold out inside of 24hours. £25 is £25, not peanuts at all, but for a last chance to see the last of the charismatic RAF fast jets in operational service, free print to boot, credit has to be due to them.

I do hope everyone very much enjoys the event. :up:

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Interesting. Be interesting to hear how many Tornados will be presented for this event compared with the last event.

Also will any F-35s appear? Or as usual locked away?

Good luck to those going.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Read on Fighter Control last week that the base is closed on the day of this event, so those expecting to see Tornado ops up close might be disappointed. Probably just statics in the HAS site.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

effects

Post by effects »

As I've said before you someone on the inside willing to put a lot of his or her spare time into making the event enthusiast friendly, think -Mick Jennings at Colt, having helped there I know how much effort was put in.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

tommc

Post by tommc »

To be honest, you've had getting on for 40 years to photograph them. I think that is ample time for you to have made the effort.

Leaving it to the last minute in the hope that an overstretched service can put in the time and manpower to accommodate your wishes is a bit much.
Regards
TomMc

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

tommc wrote:To be honest, you've had getting on for 40 years to photograph them. I think that is ample time for you to have made the effort.

I'd have loved to have photographed Tornados aged minus thirteen... :whistle:

What a weird post to make!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Beat me to it, by about 45 minutes and twelve months.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

You mean you're both still unborn? :whistle:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I've just checked, and the last time I was up there was on April 6th, 2002 for another photo-shoot. Can't see me getting to this though sadly, and anyway looks like it's full already.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

tommc

Post by tommc »

They have painted up at least 3 jets recently, specially for the end of service (not a bad percentage of the jets still operating at Marham).

They are still flying sorties most days.

The Op Shader jets have to come home, and this will hardly go un-noticed seeing is it ends numerous years of continuous ops.

There will be a final flypast (weather and operational commitments permitting).

So, they have done plenty already, and there will still be plenty of opportunity for those that are willing to get off their keyboards and go and make the effort.
Regards
TomMc

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

tommc wrote:To be honest, you've had getting on for 40 years to photograph them. I think that is ample time for you to have made the effort.

Leaving it to the last minute in the hope that an overstretched service can put in the time and manpower to accommodate your wishes is a bit much.

I agree, I dont need to attend an event or celebrate the retirement of one of the aircraft types that cemented my passion for aviation, I took a photo of some 25 years ago
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale