RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
FGR.4

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by FGR.4 »

wasn't really sure where to post this, so apologies if this isn't the right place.

This year will be my first RIAT, and at other shows i tend to leave early so as to avoid the traffic as thousands of people flood out of the show. :grin:
however, as a result of the calibre of the aircraft attending the air tattoo, i want to stay to watch every display on the day (sunday) that i attend this year, so i'm just wondering how long it takes to exit the airbase once the final display touches down.

Thanks. :smile:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Depending on what the last display is, it can vary. Sometimes you'll find yourself exiting the car park within 10-15 minutes of the final display. However, it has been known for it to take quite some time, around an hour and a half at most I'd say.

FGR.4

Post by FGR.4 »

Abbo46 wrote:Depending on what the last display is, it can vary. Sometimes you'll find yourself exiting the car park within 10-15 minutes of the final display. However, it has been known for it to take quite some time, around an hour and a half at most I'd say.

thats a great help, thanks :up:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

If you book a Friday ticket before the 31st of Jan you will get £10 voucher to spend on merchandise, suppose it offsets the cost of some of the program! :dunno:
Thomas

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

A cynic would speculate that they're having difficulty shifting the Friday tickets, hence the early resorting to such offers. :whistle:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Craig

Post by Craig »

Brevet Cable wrote:A cynic would speculate that they're having difficulty shifting the Friday tickets, hence the early resorting to such offers. :whistle:

I did wonder. Too late for me anyway hotel is booked and for the first time in many years I won't be doing Friday. A shame but hopefully the message will be received.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Brevet Cable wrote:A cynic would speculate that they're having difficulty shifting the Friday tickets, hence the early resorting to such offers. :whistle:

that was my initial thought. still doesn't make me want to do the friday

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

FGR.4 wrote:wasn't really sure where to post this, so apologies if this isn't the right place.

This year will be my first RIAT, and at other shows i tend to leave early so as to avoid the traffic as thousands of people flood out of the show. :grin:
however, as a result of the calibre of the aircraft attending the air tattoo, i want to stay to watch every display on the day (sunday) that i attend this year, so i'm just wondering how long it takes to exit the airbase once the final display touches down.

I don't think its all that hard to get out, but as you would expect, there is a rush as soon as the wheels touch down on the last display.
What i tend to do is wander around the statics until the showground closes, it seems like it empties easier.
Theres lots to see, so it doesn't feel like you are just hanging around.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Whats all this about the £10 voucher if you purchase the Friday ticket?

A cynical person might wonder are they (Friday tickets) selling slower than anticipated?

I don't think I'm going in on the Friday this year...

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

FGR.4 wrote:wasn't really sure where to post this, so apologies if this isn't the right place.

If you want a stress free exit aim to be amongst the last to leave rather than trying to be first out. If the weather is o k loiter and continue to soak up the atmosphere.
You paid a lot of money to attend so make sure you get your monies worth.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

You'd have to leave very early to avoid the traffic, because from what I've seen there's a steady stream of people exiting the showground from early in the afternoon.
아직도 숨어있다

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Image

You'd have to leave very early to avoid the traffic, because from what I've seen there's a steady stream of people exiting the showground from early in the afternoon.

On the Sunday in 2017 I left around 4pm, there already was quite a few leaving. The shuttle bus back to Swindon was probably about half full.
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Perhaps punters are more savvy than RIAT think re the Friday pricing and they are having to back peddle?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

pbeardmore wrote:Perhaps punters are more savvy than RIAT think re the Friday pricing and they are having to back peddle?

i think they are doing just that. the question still remains, why would anyone pay near full price for a ticket for half a show day?

Craig

Post by Craig »

rockfordstone wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:Perhaps punters are more savvy than RIAT think re the Friday pricing and they are having to back peddle?

i think they are doing just that. the question still remains, why would anyone pay near full price for a ticket for half a show day?

It's not even "near" full price-the tickets cost exactly the same. Always looked at best silly and at worst greedy.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

RAFCTE made the same mistake with the failed Scampton Airshows ticket prices - charging RIAT rates for a 5 hour seaside flying display - when the tickets didn't sell they blamed the public and said that there wasn't an appetite for an airshow in 'bomber country'! I seem to recall them offering £5 off tickets if people bought them at RIAT.... but still didn't sell many

I would have thought that they would have learnt from the mistakes they made with that event, a 5 hour flying display vs a 8 hour one for the same price - although I am first to admit that a RIAT 5 hour International Military flying display will be much much better than what was at Scampton in 2017...

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Yes, but it still won't be as good as a RIAT 8 hour International Military flying display for the same price.

I think RAFCTE have realised that they have shot themselves in the foot over the Friday issue. Makes you wonder why it was signed off in the first place.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Makes you wonder why it was signed off in the first place.

Because they though Joe Pub would be gullible enough to buy them off the back of last year's show.
I wonder if their next move will be to do a "Buy a weekend ticket, get a Friday one half-price" deal, just like their crass move some years ago when they did their 'Fathers Day' ( I think it was ) discount. :whistle:
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Makes you wonder why it was signed off in the first place.

Because they though Joe Pub would be gullible enough to buy them off the back of last year's show.
I wonder if their next move will be to do a "Buy a weekend ticket, get a Friday one half-price" deal, just like their crass move some years ago when they did their 'Fathers Day' ( I think it was ) discount. :whistle:
I thought that one was a buy one, get one for free next year.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Yep, that's the one.....2011, wasn't it?
아직도 숨어있다

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

For those interested, the 'Confirmed Aircraft' page is now attached to the 'Aircraft at the Show' section and listed as under construction, potential first update tomorrow?

And has since been removed.. :grin:
Last edited by Abbo46 on Wed 09 Jan 2019, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Eyebrows were raised here when the Fri prices were announced. One of the worst things a charity or organisation can do is to take the punters for granted or treat them like mugs. Very poor IMHO. Will be interesting to see how busy it is on the Friday
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Just checking if I’ve got this straight......

Continual warnings of early purchase discount tickets selling out.

“No, they’re just trying to scare gullible punters into buying tickets”

Adverts a few weeks before the show about the last few tickets remaining

“Ahh, you see, they’re really scared they won’t sell them all. It’s just scaremongering! They must be really desperate with lots of unsold tickets”

Saturday sells out, Sunday sells out/near capacity.

Friday prices go up

“Pure greed! They’re just exploiting the airshow-goer as it’s such a popular airshow, and Friday is not worth it, too expensive...they should reduce the price”

Discount voucher included with Friday ticket to reduce cost to punter

“Ahh, you see, they are obviously struggling to sell Friday tickets”

:surrender:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Edited to give a more detailed response...
Yep.
Nope.
Yep.
Debatable.

The £10 voucher? Read the T&Cs :
Voucher for Official Merchandise only
Can only be redeemed on Friday 19 July
One voucher per booking
Offer applies to Friday admission ticket bookings - General Admission, Admission with Cheltenham Park & Ride and Admission with Swindon Shuttle Bus
Cut-off date is midnight 31 January 2019

In other words, the offer expires in 3 weeks, you can't use it to get a reduction in the ticket price or enclosure, if you've already pre-ordered a programme you can't use it for that....so unless you want to buy some tat it's useless.
아직도 숨어있다

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Hotel booked , Sat/Sun tickets booked ......for the first time giving Friday a miss :sad:

Now maybe the attending aircraft updates may start rolling :smile: