Post by Euan Buchan »

Really been enjoying it
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

fighterfoto

Re: Red Arrows Documentary Out In 2019

Post by fighterfoto »

I do hope the photographer who sold the images of the crash and those who defended his actions watch the next episode.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Would love to see the Series released as a DVD when it's been fully shown?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

fighterfoto wrote:I do hope the photographer who sold the images of the crash and those who defended his actions watch the next episode.

Why?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Another excellent episode this evening. :clap:

Have a feeling the next one could be a difficult watch.

harkins

Post by harkins »

A little surprised that nobody has commented on this weeks episode. I thought they handled the accident and aftermath pretty well in the documentary. Also interesting to see how in the military that they just get on with things. Even his closest friend in the circus who isn't a keen flyer just got back in a Hawk and carried on with the job. The programme as a whole has certainly made me re-evaluate how I see RAFAT. From getting a bit complacent about them to renewed admiration. I also realised how much I just see a Hawk or a Tornado or a Hercules from the fence or crowdline and forget about the human sat in there.

One other thing about the documentary that I was interested by but wasn't really explained was how Mike Ling was brought back in to fly as Red 3 after spending 6 or 7 years as Red 10. Maybe it's like riding a bike, but I would have liked a bit more information on how he'd kept currency in that period. I assume he must have still got many hours in the drivers seat of fast jets in those years to remain at Red Arrows standard.

st24

Post by st24 »

harkins wrote:A little surprised that nobody has commented on this weeks episode. I thought they handled the accident and aftermath pretty well in the documentary. Also interesting to see how in the military that they just get on with things. Even his closest friend in the circus who isn't a keen flyer just got back in a Hawk and carried on with the job. The programme as a whole has certainly made me re-evaluate how I see RAFAT. From getting a bit complacent about them to renewed admiration. I also realised how much I just see a Hawk or a Tornado or a Hercules from the fence or crowdline and forget about the human sat in there.

One other thing about the documentary that I was interested by but wasn't really explained was how Mike Ling was brought back in to fly as Red 3 after spending 6 or 7 years as Red 10. Maybe it's like riding a bike, but I would have liked a bit more information on how he'd kept currency in that period. I assume he must have still got many hours in the drivers seat of fast jets in those years to remain at Red Arrows standard.

Well he'd spent the previous 9 years with the team so his Hawk and formation flying hours were higher than most...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Also, as communication isn't too good on my planet :dizzy: since when have they been going to Tanagra AB in Greece for 'Springhawk'..I always thought it was Cyprus?
And yes, I thought the accident was handled very sympathetically...
A very good series throughout so far :up:
...Rad shutters auto.

harkins

Post by harkins »

st24 wrote:Well he'd spent the previous 9 years with the team so his Hawk and formation flying hours were higher than most...

I see. I thought that he'd spent the last 6 or 7 doing commentary and ferry flights. I didn't realise that Red 10 still flew close formation stuff. Maybe just photo-ship kind of stuff. Maybe for the lesser informed like me they might have said why Mike Ling was the best option over perhaps inviting back one of the three pilots who left at the end of the previous season.

I also thought that Cyprus was their regular winter training bolthole. Too much anti-ISIS activity there last year?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

That's a misconception about the Red 10 role - its more than just flying the 'spare jet' and involves a fair amount of flying with new pilots. Certainly as Mike was an experienced Red Arrows display pilot he was involved with quite a bit of mentoring during his time as Red 10.

And yes, Cyprus is just too busy with Op Shader to host Springhawk for the moment.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

I think it's been a great series - excellent footage, a fantastic showcase of their flying skills and just generally a real insight into the different elements that come together to form the RAFAT. A credit to them and the RAF.

I wish they'd be a bit more creative with their nicknames though... :smile:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

keithjs wrote:Also, as communication isn't too good on my planet :dizzy: since when have they been going to Tanagra AB in Greece for 'Springhawk'..I always thought it was Cyprus?

Since Syria/ISIS ops made Akrotiri a very busy combat base, they can't accommodate them.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Since Syria/ISIS ops made Akrotiri a very busy combat base, they can't accommodate them.[/quote]

Thanks, didn't know that. :up:
...Rad shutters auto.

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Since been on holiday I have a few episodes to catch up on
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Believe they’re covering the pilots selection process Tonight? - Interesting.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Another enjoyable episode. Nice to see the selection process too, looks like a nice way to spend a week. :grin:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Couldn't agree more, yet another thoroughly enjoyable episode! :clap: