A380 production to end

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
CJS

A380 production to end

Post by CJS »

BBC News - Airbus says A380 superjumbo production will end
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47231504

It seems Emirates have reduced the number they need, which is putting an end to production. Last ones to be delivered in 2021.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Gonzo230

Re: A380 production to end

Post by Gonzo230 »

Shame.

Although it’s caused us plenty of problems at LHR, and we are still in the process of adapting some taxiways to its size, I’ve always liked it.

As a passenger I love it, unequalled in terms of comfort (though I’ve not flown on an A350).

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

A350 is a superb aircraft - the legroom in Cathay Pacific Economy A350s is really good.
Ultimately the rise of the long range twins has pushed the Super Jumbo concept out of the picture.

^Qwerty^

Post by ^Qwerty^ »

Gonzo230 wrote:Shame.

Although it’s caused us plenty of problems at LHR, and we are still in the process of adapting some taxiways to its size, I’ve always liked it.

As a passenger I love it, unequalled in terms of comfort (though I’ve not flown on an A350).

Never been on one, but I've always found that it's the airline and how they choose to fit out the cabins that dictate how comfortable a particular model is rather than the aeroplane itself.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

^Qwerty^ wrote:
Gonzo230 wrote:Shame.

Never been on one, but I've always found that it's the airline and how they choose to fit out the cabins that dictate how comfortable a particular model is rather than the aeroplane itself.

Guess it depends on what one means by comfort. I was mainly referring to cabin pressure/humidity, general space, resistance to turbulence etc, rather than the hard product in terms of seats.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Points worthy of consideration but most people when talking about the comfort of an aircraft inevitably are talking about the seat first and foremost I would think

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

A love letter to the A380: why passengers will miss the super-jumbo the most.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comm ... jumbo-jet/

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Which of these aircraft - Airbus A.380, Airbus A.350, Boeing 777 or Boeing 787 Dreamliner - is best for the environment - (I.e. which one is the greener?)???????

Just wondered wether this is another reason they're stopping production?

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

UKTopgun wrote:Points worthy of consideration but most people when talking about the comfort of an aircraft inevitably are talking about the seat first and foremost I would think

But as has been said, that varies greatly depending upon airline, and almost immeasurably within the same aircraft depending upon class travelled.

Regardless, I’ll choose a route/airline based on it being an A380 than a 747/787/777/A340, especially an overnight flight.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Gonzo230 wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:Points worthy of consideration but most people when talking about the comfort of an aircraft inevitably are talking about the seat first and foremost I would think

But as has been said, that varies greatly depending upon airline, and almost immeasurably within the same aircraft depending upon class travelled.

Regardless, I’ll choose a route/airline based on it being an A380 than a 747/787/777/A340, especially an overnight flight.

If you can be picky about your route perhaps, but who realistically would or could be? I'm flying to Lisbon at Easter from Bristol, but I wouldn't even dream of flying out of Gatwick just because they had 737s instead of A320s for example. When I last flew long haul (London - Delhi, London - Buenos Aires and Lima - Madrid in the space of 6 months) I didn't even consider changing my route based on aircraft type. Does anyone seriously do that?

For record, it was a 747,a 777 and an A340 and they were all perfectly fine.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Gonzo230 wrote:

If you define airliner comfort in terms of cabin pressure and resistance to turbulence rather than legroom first and foremost, seems a bit odd but fair enough! I totally get that legroom is down to the airline fit out, but it still is the factor I go by when defining comfort.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Agree, I’ve flown many thousands of miles on A340s, 787s, 747s et al, and yes they were fine, apart from the 787 in economy with its mercilessly narrow seats!). I feel noticeably better stepping off an A380 after spending 10+ hours inside it than any other airliner. I like that.

Aircraft type is certainly a factor in my choice, if I indeed have a choice; flying LHR-LAX-LHR for example, I’d choose an A380 service over a 777 or 747, apart from maybe the outbound if I wasn’t intending on sleeping, where I might go for the 747. Coming home, I’d definitely choose an A380 sector if I could.

Might even choose an indirect leg to get on one; coming back from Atlanta, which for BA is a 777, I might actually hop down to Miami, or up to Chicago, on American, then get the BA 380 home, assuming the same overall cost.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

i must admit to being very impressed with the cathay 350 to Hing Kong from Manchester a few months back.
very quiet in flight (XL engines i believe), and seat space bigger with more leg room and a top dollar entertainment system if you got bored.

been upstairs on a 380, on emirates and Etihad. Found etihad better with more (seemingly) space, and more privacy.
downstairs on Emirates wasnt too chabby either, just a little noisier than the 350 though.
Got to love Russianhardware

ted633

Post by ted633 »

From a passenger perspective it may be a bad thing, but for those of us who maintain them we've all breathed a sigh of relief. Hopefully it means my airline won't be getting anymore of the blasted things! Unless they get some second hand ones of course :hide:

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Most pleasant flight I have ever been on was on an A-380, Paris to LA, with Air France. Amazingly smooth, loads of room, and with the two full decks it seemed so massive. I'll book an A-380 flight again for sure now its days are numbered.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Xm657 wrote:Most pleasant flight I have ever been on was on an A-380, Paris to LA, with Air France. Amazingly smooth, loads of room, and with the two full decks it seemed so massive. I'll book an A-380 flight again for sure now its days are numbered.

I wouldn't quite say it's days are numbered.The aircraft already in service will stay around for a good many years yet surely.

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

ted633 wrote:From a passenger perspective it may be a bad thing, but for those of us who maintain them we've all breathed a sigh of relief. Hopefully it means my airline won't be getting anymore of the blasted things! Unless they get some second hand ones of course :hide:

Interesting, are they that bad? Would it be risky to give more details?

Simon
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

ted633

Post by ted633 »

sithrity wrote:
ted633 wrote:From a passenger perspective it may be a bad thing, but for those of us who maintain them we've all breathed a sigh of relief. Hopefully it means my airline won't be getting anymore of the blasted things! Unless they get some second hand ones of course :hide:

Interesting, are they that bad? Would it be risky to give more details?

Simon

Not risky at all! They're just too big and many jobs that are simple on other types are a complete pain in the wotsit on a 380!

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Never liked it at all.

It just looks ugly without a character like the 747 has. If they only moved the cockpit up one deck, it would improve the sight of the thing.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

aviodromefriend wrote:It just looks ugly without a character like the 747 has.

Really can't agree with that, I've always thought that they looked great, but it's in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Anyway, sorry that production is coming to an end, but hopefully they will still be around for many years to come.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

AlexC wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:It just looks ugly without a character like the 747 has.

Really can't agree with that, I've always thought that they looked great, but it's in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Anyway, sorry that production is coming to an end, but hopefully they will still be around for many years to come.

Agreed, I think it looks good. The wing, from up close, is pure art.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Xm657 wrote:I'll book an A-380 flight again for sure now its days are numbered.

I imagine you'll have a few years yet to get another flight.

Loved seeing the A380 up close at Farnborough airshow and being in awe that the thing could even get off the ground. Definitely a hold onto your hat moment when it took off. :lol: