RAF Wymeswold

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Rossbeef

RAF Wymeswold

Post by Rossbeef »

Hi all, was wondering whether anyone has any photos at all of Wymeswold whilst it was being used and up to now?

My grandad was based there, and i am interested in seeing any photos. He remembers Meteors being based there.

Many many thanks in advance!

Ross.

NAM Updater

Re: RAF Wymeswold

Post by NAM Updater »

The NAM Archive has some photos from Wymeswold but only three that show Meteors - I have no way of posting them on here, but I've added them to the museum's Twitter timeline! https://twitter.com/NewarkAirMus/status ... 7347505152
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Wonderful, thank you for your time in replying.

Ross

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

My pleasure, always keen to try and publicise local aviation - even if I did spell Wymeswold incorrectly in the tweet. There are other photos taken there including Hunters and another of the Sabre; plus lots of civilian aircraft (possibly post-RAF days).

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Brilliant, thank you. This has made my grandad very happy and has made his day. Thanks again.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

If you wanted to PM me an email address I'd be happy to send you slightly higher res versions of the 3 photos. :smile:

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

P.M'd thanks again.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Hi all, me again.

Was wondering if you can access the base at all now? I do know that some if not all of it is pretty much a solar farm now,but wonder if there are any bits of the base you can visit or points of interest?

Many thanks!

Ross.

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Everyman Racing use the runways / taxiways for track experience days - it's one way to get a feel for the place and great fun to boot! Also there is an off-road experience which runs on the outskirts of the airfield too.
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Thank you for your reply.

I assume there is no way to access or go near what is left of the airfield buildings?

Thanks again.

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Not really - if you take a look at aerial shots (eg bing or google maps) you can see the cars parked at the racing / track venue and the path the cars follow around the runways, with the industrial units visible beyond the embankments. Not much left of the original airfield buildings that I recall.
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Most helpful, thank you.

RKADE

Post by RKADE »

When was your grandfather statoned at Wymeswold Rossbeef? I have been puting together a histiry of RAF Wymeswold and will be putting this online in the not to distant future. Meteors were flown from there from 1949 to 1957.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

RKADE wrote:When was your grandfather statoned at Wymeswold Rossbeef? I have been puting together a histiry of RAF Wymeswold and will be putting this online in the not to distant future. Meteors were flown from there from 1949 to 1957.

Hi RKADE, he was based there from 1954-1956.

Ross.

RKADE

Post by RKADE »

Hi Ross
I have put up some of the history of RAF Wymswold as pdf so it can be downloaded, although at the moment it is a single large file. It will be split into three or four sections in a few weeks when the final chapter, with more memories from 504 Sqn members is added.
Check out http://www.hoap.co.uk/who/raf_wymeswold.pdf

I hope it brings back a few memories.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

That's great, thank you so much!

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

My Pops has read a lot. He was based when some of what was said. He absolutely loved it. So many many thanks for what you created. It brought back a lot of memories for him.

We went and visited Wymeswold a few months ago. Not a lot left but what was left was really interesting.