The Angry Thread...

Re: The Angry Thread...

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 14 Apr 2019, 4:11 pm

The reporters on BBC World Service last night were a lot more unsympathetic & damning that the Mail, which takes some doing :biggrin:
Funnily enough, not seen any coverage of it on the BBC news today ( not seen Sky or ITV to see if they're covering it ).....they're too busy distorting what Corbyn said in the secret recording to try and twist it to fit their "Corbyn hates Jews" agenda. :whistle:
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 12:20 pm

Brevet Cable

Postby Tommy on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 12:44 pm

Careful, BC, we’re going to disagree again :hide:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby AlexC on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 1:38 pm

Tommy wrote:Careful, BC, we’re going to disagree again :hide:

But he hasn't said whether he is in agreement or otherwise with the fact that she is to get legal aid so how do you know if you're going to 'disagree again' ?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Tommy on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 2:49 pm

AlexC wrote:

But he hasn't said whether he is in agreement or otherwise with the fact that she is to get legal aid so how do you know if you're going to 'disagree again' ?

Because it’s posted in a thread entitled “The Angry Thread...” where the (greatly missed on here) OP set the premise as:

Am curious to know what sort of trivial and not-so-trivial thing really winds people up and what are pet hates.

And by posting a link to a headline stating that she will get legal aid in the “Angry Thread” in response to the question of “what winds [you] up”, it’s quite implicit.

Brevet is welcome to explain that isn’t the matter-de-rage, but I think any reasonable person might forgive me if that does indeed end up to be the case.

We could flip it around, I suppose. How do you know I was warning about disagreement over the Begum case. Perhaps I just object to Brevet’s use of the BBC as a news source and chose that particular article for no other reason than to highlight that.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 3:12 pm

Yep!

She can appeal as much as she wants, she's perfectly entitled to do so.
What I don't agree with - as you can probably guess - is the fact that she's being granted Legal Aid to do so.....at a time when it's been cut for many other cases which used to be entitled to it.
Brevet Cable

Postby AlexC on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 9:15 am

It was inevitable that she would be granted legal aid, 'poor girl, didn't know what she was getting into', 'she was groomed', blah. blah.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 11:30 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47959207
Glue yourselves to lorries? No problem, drive the lorries anyway.
Glue yourselves to trains? No problem, run the trains anyway.
When the protesters are turned to splat-marks we'll see how dedicated to the cause they are once some of them become extinct.
Not forgetting the protester scum who vandalise things.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47947965
Yet another crappy misleading study being turned into a scare story. :roll:
Brevet Cable

Postby AlexC on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 1:23 pm

I do have a certain amount of sympathy with them, we are having a negative effect on the planet, I don't think that's in doubt now, but 'shutting down London' is not going to help their cause, I'm sure of that.
AlexC

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 1:55 pm

AlexC wrote:I do have a certain amount of sympathy with them, we are having a negative effect on the planet, I don't think that's in doubt now, but 'shutting down London' is not going to help their cause, I'm sure of that.

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you, the academic literature on the efficacy of civil disobedience is pretty conclusive. There are very few instances where a sustained campaign of this type has not brought about political or social change, especially if the engagement reaches 2 or 3% of the population. For reference, at the height of the American civil rights movement around 1.5% of the population were engaged.
Paul_Reflex

Postby AlexC on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 2:43 pm

I am fairly sure. Pissing off ordinary people who are just trying get on with their daily lives will not help their cause as I've already said, they need us on their side.
AlexC

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 3:04 pm

Fair enough, evidence and reasoning seem to be no match these days for misconceptions and intransigence.
Paul_Reflex

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 3:21 pm

Even if the misconceptions and intransigence come from the climate change proponents
Brevet Cable

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 3:45 pm

Climate change denial is so cool :cool:

A bit like holocaust denial, but more current and edgy.
Paul_Reflex

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 3:52 pm

Edited because I just remembered the word bollocks is acceptable on here.
So rather than 'garbage', I feel it more fitting to amend my reply to.....
What complete and utter bollocks !!
Brevet Cable

Postby AlexC on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 7:54 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Edited because I just remembered the word bollocks is acceptable on here.

What a great word 'bollocks' is, so expressive, but shouldn't be over-used in which case it loses it's effectiveness.
AlexC

Postby CJS on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 10:25 pm

AlexC wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Edited because I just remembered the word bollocks is acceptable on here.

What a great word 'bollocks' is, so expressive, but shouldn't be over-used in which case it loses it's effectiveness.

Bollocks

Bollocks

Bollocks

Bollocks

Like that, you mean?

Oh and I'm totally with you BC on the legal aid thing. What a load of...

Yep, bollocks.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby pbeardmore on Thu 18 Apr 2019, 8:09 am

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 17 Apr 2019, 11:30 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47959207
Glue yourselves to lorries? No problem, drive the lorries anyway.
Glue yourselves to trains? No problem, run the trains anyway.
When the protesters are turned to splat-marks we'll see how dedicated to the cause they are once some of them become extinct.
Not forgetting the protester scum who vandalise things.

All fair points and not picking on BC as many people hold this view. But you could go back to the early 20th Century and look at the fight for equality at the pollling booth . Desperation leads to desperate measures. Were the suffragette's scum? Sometimes, standing on the corner handing out a leaflet won't do the job. History is full of causes where the law had to be broken in order to bring change. It's hard as you don't want to justify criminal acts but part of me admires their energy and commitment. This is not a selfish cause. By defintion, they are doing this for the wider good.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 Apr 2019, 8:52 am

pbeardmore wrote:Were the suffragette's scum?

When they turned from normal protesting to vandalism & terrorism, yes.
( And don't forget that despite the propaganda, at that time a large percentage - over 40% if I recall correctly - of men weren't entitled to vote either )
Brevet Cable

Postby AlexC on Thu 18 Apr 2019, 10:47 am

CJS wrote:
Bollocks

Bollocks

Bollocks

Bollocks

Like that, you mean?.

Yes, just like that, as the late, great Tommy Cooper would have said! :grin:
AlexC

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 Apr 2019, 12:25 pm

Listening to some of the 'Extinction Rebellion' throbbers being interviewed this morning......what a bunch of naive ill-informed plonkers.
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 12:51 pm

Dame Emma Thomson FLEW to London from LA to address the climate change protesters this morning.
McG

Postby Tommy on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 12:58 pm

I’m not sure I condone these climate change strikes (seems stupid for them to attack mass public transport like the Tube, rather than, say, individual motor vehicles), but it has achieved the objective f having us all talk about it, but:

McG wrote:Dame Emma Thomson FLEW to London from LA to address the climate change protesters this morning.

How else was she supposed to get there from LA?
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby FarnboroJohn on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 1:14 pm

Tommy wrote:I’m not sure I condone these climate change strikes (seems stupid for them to attack mass public transport like the Tube, rather than, say, individual motor vehicles), but it has achieved the objective f having us all talk about it, but:

McG wrote:Dame Emma Thomson FLEW to London from LA to address the climate change protesters this morning.

How else was she supposed to get there from LA?

Three-masted schooner, or maybe Skype? I'm sure the protesters would have preferred either: perhaps nobody asked them.....
FarnboroJohn

Postby CJS on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 1:26 pm

Yep, Skype might have made more sense I would think!!

Agree with Tommy, why target public transport, cars surely would be better, especially in a city as contested as London. And how did the majority of those protesters (who don't live in London) get there I wonder?

On the very public transport they are now disrupting? Or did they all cycle and walk?

There are so many ways to make a difference that don't involve this kind of disruption and which are arguably more effective anyway.

And no, I'm not going to list them or give examples, use your imagination. :lol:

Supergluing yourself to a bus isn't helping solve climate change, it's just stupid.

I believe in the power of protest very much, but this seems to be misguided in so many ways.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic