Damaged Canon 5D IV

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Damaged Canon 5D IV

Post by Blackbird »

My 5D IV suffered water damage in an "incident" a couple of months ago -it's a long story - and I have now been paid out and have replaced it with a very slightly used model.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's worth getting repaired, or whether there is any market for a body that does not work. When you switch it on, I get a message asking if I'm using a genuine Canon battery (which I am) and when I answer "yes" it shuts down.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Andy

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Damaged Canon 5D IV

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

There always a market on eBay for "spares/repair" tech. People do their own repairs sometimes, and might even be after certain parts, like a good condition LCD screen etc.

Whether it's viable for you depends on the cost of repair vs the resale value I guess. If it's not worthwhile on that basis, just list it for sale as spares/repairs and get what you can for it.

eBay have got a £1 listing offer on over the Easter weekend.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Homer

Post by Homer »

You don't say what the incident was.

It could make a big difference if it fell off the coffee table or the side of a boat.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

It was damaged by water when the boat we were in almost capsized and water was all over the place. It was not dropped.

Andy

Mike

Post by Mike »

At the risk of stating the obvious, How is it possible to decide whether it's worth getting repaired until you know what it will cost? Ship it to CPS or an authorised repairer for a quote, then you can make an informed decision.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

This may be a stupid question,but if the insurance has paid out,surely the damaged body belongs to the insurance company. :dizzy:

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

The payment has not been settled by an insurance claim

Andy

Rich.B

Post by Rich.B »

Have you removed the back up button cell battery and did you try another main battery. The one in the camera that got wet is more then likely knackered.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I haven't removed the back-up cell, but have tried a number of main batteries. I'll give a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Andy

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Have you contacted Canon to see if it can be repaired? It may just need a sensor clean and circuit board, probably wouldn't be cheap but you may be able to sell it on or use as a backup.