RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
IATthenRIAT

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Abbo46 wrote:I'd forgotten the French Air Force only operated fast jets.. :grin:

I think you actually meant to say - "Thank you for the info" :wink:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Abbo46 wrote:I'd forgotten the French Air Force only operated fast jets.. :grin:

But yes, thank you for the source. :tongue: :wink:

Hopefully we get a Mirage or two on static.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Abbo46 wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:

But yes, thank you for the source. :tongue: :wink:

Hopefully we get a Mirage or two on static.

No problem - fingers crossed for them.

Habu

Post by Habu »

Abbo46 wrote:Algeria, Morocco & South Africa have attended in the past.

Thanks

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Habu wrote:
Abbo46 wrote:Algeria, Morocco & South Africa have attended in the past.

Thanks

I remember the RSAAF B707 being at IAT/RIAT in the 90s.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Nothing from an African nation for a while though - don't think I've seen anything since I started going in 2007.

Not that I can remember anyway (and yes, you can read that second sentence 2 ways, and both would be correct :butt: ).
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Algeria last attended in 2014. :wink:

Wouldn't be wrong with other two mind, South Africa last in attendance in 2001 and Morocco in either 1997 or '98.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Posts could do with a Like Button as very often I like and agree with what someone has said. :clap:

CJS

Post by CJS »

In my meagre defence 2014 is the only one I've missed since 2007, so I'm sort of right - I haven't seen anything from an African nation :lol:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I'll also chime in that I think that SOME people on here tend to come off as ungrateful. Either about the amount of communication we're getting (I've been guilty of that on an occasion too), or about what is coming in general. Why would anyone of the air arms bother to offer up additional information on what they're hoping to bring when people just whine because it's not the aircraft that THEY want to see, or it's an aircraft that THEY have seen before.

Once again, as a foreign visitor, people don't realize how spoiled they are to get what RIAT gets, or the level of communication about it that we get.

MAKS by contrast has sent out one piece of information regarding confirmations, and it was vague at best...and I've never been more excited about an airshow.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

CJS wrote:In my meagre defence 2014 is the only one I've missed since 2007, so I'm sort of right - I haven't seen anything from an African nation :lol:

Apologies, bud, but the Algerian C-130 also turned up in 2009, which was the nation’s debut appearance at the show.

G67

Post by G67 »

sopwithflyer wrote:If I hear one player whinging in my squad i'll kick him from arsehole to breakfast. A whinger drags everyone else down for nothing more than a little attention seeking.

Yes, I know that sort of coach. I met a few in ny athletics days. Ever stop to wonder if they're whinging about something valid? If someone is actively disengaged it means that the team has failed.

Likewise if someone is venting here it is because they felt let-down by a supplier to whom they have paid several hundred pounds, plus a week off work and many other costs.

If you bought a tangible object and it disappointed you, would you silently discard it amd say nothing in case you offended someone who manufactured it?.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

G67 wrote:
sopwithflyer wrote:If I hear one player whinging in my squad i'll kick him from arsehole to breakfast. A whinger drags everyone else down for nothing more than a little attention seeking.

Yes, I know that sort of coach. I met a few in ny athletics days. Ever stop to wonder if they're whinging about something valid? If someone is actively disengaged it means that the team has failed.

Likewise if someone is venting here it is because they felt let-down by a supplier to whom they have paid several hundred pounds, plus a week off work and many other costs.

If you bought a tangible object and it disappointed you, would you silently discard it amd say nothing in case you offended someone who manufactured it?.

But we're not talking about that. We're talking about foreign air forces spending 10's of thousands of dollars (or pounds if you prefer) on fuel alone to bring one of their assets and a support crew to the show. Some of these air forces having mind bogglingly small inventories to begin with, so bringing a jet and a support aircraft over constitutes a massive undertaking in some of their cases...and for what? "Camaraderie" as one of the people said it? And then, when they've jumped through the hoops, got the budget approved and committed to sending these aircraft to have the same 5 people complain because it's not the aircraft in their inventory that they wanted to see. Or to respond with "meh" to every update? Yeah...I'd feel a little uninterested in your collective opinions too.

I'm not saying people should be celebrating every announcement. I'm saying the constant moaning about it not being good enough is absolutely ridiculous. 28 air arms have committed thus far I believe according to one of the emails last week? If that's not enough for you then don't buy a ticket for this year. If you've already bought one for this year then don't buy one for next year...the airshow will still sell out next year without you, and maybe some people that do appreciate the show for what it brings will get seats on the top row of the FRIAT grandstand...or at least not have to listen to some guy that hates absolutely every airshow act moan constantly about how bad they all are. There's been plenty of announcements that I haven't thought were earth shattering, I respond to them by saying nothing.

AMB

Post by AMB »

The only flying Whirlwind and Wessex in the world are kept just a few miles away from Fairford in Somerset

[Quote]Due to a lack of budget, Douglas Bader House has rejected our application to attend RIAT 2019 with the Whirlwind and Wessex.[unquote]

I think DBH have lost the plot! :whistle:
Adrian

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Well if it was a choice between a pair of Harriers and the Wessex and Whirlwind you can understand the logic. Sure it's a bit more complicated than that though.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Chris G wrote:Well if it was a choice between a pair of Harriers and the Wessex and Whirlwind you can understand the logic. Sure it's a bit more complicated than that though.

That's very true. Whirlwind and Wessex on static versus Blades/Breitling Jet Team, another matter in my opinion. The Wessex in particular is beautiful and looks today just as she did in service and hasn't been seen in a long time.

Again, this is just my opinion (to which I am entitled) that without the Blades and BJT, the flying display could be not so much shorter, but could include a couple of gaps that allow either for the crowd to have a brief break from the action or even perhaps to provide a bit more wiggle room for the display in terms of weather and stuff. I'm sure there's probably a technical reason why they can't actually have any flexibility in the program though.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

harkins wrote:That's very true. Whirlwind and Wessex on static versus Blades/Breitling Jet Team, another matter in my opinion. The Wessex in particular is beautiful and looks today just as she did in service and hasn't been seen in a long time.

Again, this is just my opinion (to which I am entitled) that without the Blades and BJT, the flying display could be not so much shorter, but could include a couple of gaps that allow either for the crowd to have a brief break from the action or even perhaps to provide a bit more wiggle room for the display in terms of weather and stuff. I'm sure there's probably a technical reason why they can't actually have any flexibility in the program though.

Personally I am a big fan of the BJT and it's nice to see them back after a few years absence. I can't say the same for The Blades, mind you, but then classic helicopters like the Wessex don't interest me either so I'm impartial to their participation. I can't imagine they'd have been declined a spot without lots of consideration and good reason. After all the organisers of this show are just as passionate about all this as we are, I hope! :grin:

However, one of the best things about RIAT is the constant action. Several hours of watching aircraft taxi in after a display and having the next item rolling down the runway is something few UK airshows can boast about and really helps to keep the momentum high. I personally would prefer not to see breaks in the display, even if it means having The Blades strutting their stuff. :lol:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tommy wrote:
CJS wrote:In my meagre defence 2014 is the only one I've missed since 2007, so I'm sort of right - I haven't seen anything from an African nation :lol:

Apologies, bud, but the Algerian C-130 also turned up in 2009, which was the nation’s debut appearance at the show.

Oh :tongue2: , my memory's not what it....umm... :dunno:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Ah yes, 2009, the time it rained...

7T-WHE - Lockheed C-130H Hercules - Algerian Air Force by Chris Globe, on Flickr

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

Hopefully Algeria can be persuaded to attend with a couple of Su-30MKA in due course.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

TomTwin wrote:Hopefully Algeria can be persuaded to attend with a couple of Su-30MKA in due course.

They’re not invited this year for some reason. Just checked the invited nations list.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Wonder if these beauties are coming to RIAT -

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

The f16s will be!
Thomas

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

cg_341 wrote:Ah yes, 2009, the time it rained...

Rain, what rain? It was lovely weather on the Saturday. :grin:

sopwithflyer

Post by sopwithflyer »

G67 wrote:

1) You havent met a coach like me at all. Rugby is a team sport and we don't do whinging - it drags others down. I am the coach and they do it my way, that is why I am employed in the role. If it doesnt work out I lose my job. If any players whinge and upset my team I will kick them from arsehole to beakfast - That BTW, means out on their arse to reflect in the morning.

2) Then don't pay 100's of pounds until you know that you want to buy said item? I wouldn't buy a car and then moan my pants off that it's the wrong colour.

3) If I bought a tangible object and it disappeared then I have f....g lost it haven't I? That's a real danger too, if you don't look after things you will lose them. Take a moment to think about that. If there was a problem with the said item, or the service, then I would complain to the supplier. Not stamp my feet in front of everyone.