RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Flare Path

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Flare Path »

mark_aviation wrote:I do wonder if one of the Sunday flypasts will be to do with the BA 100 celebrations. One of the BA 747’s with the reds like 2013 perhaps?

We can only hope. :up:

convair

Post by convair »

F-35 Flyby Fri/Sat - Why did I book Sunday tickets :wall:

st24

Post by st24 »

So bit by bit we're being forced to go all 3 public days to see everything at 50quid a pop. These "surprise items" merely fuel speculation and get us to part with money quicker without really knowing what we're going to see. It's getting really quite annoying and turning what should be the best 5/6 aviation days of the year into a real 'mare. IMO.
And that's way before even thinking what the weather will be doing...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

st24 wrote:So bit by bit we're being forced to go all 3 public days to see everything at 50quid a pop. These "surprise items" merely fuel speculation and get us to part with money quicker without really knowing what we're going to see. It's getting really quite annoying and turning what should be the best 5/6 aviation days of the year into a real 'mare. IMO.
And that's way before even thinking what the weather will be doing...

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit peeved that I’ll miss the PdF, Vador, the NATO flypast and now the F-35B, but I’ll hold my breath until Sunday’s flypasts are announced.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Imagine if the MiG-21 gets confirmed but for Sunday only! :ninja:

harkins

Post by harkins »

Rossbeef wrote:Imagine if the MiG-21 gets confirmed but for Sunday only! :ninja:

Really can't see that at all.

convair wrote:F-35 Flyby Fri/Sat - Why did I book Sunday tickets :wall:

I appreciate that these things are adding up when making Sunday look like the short straw but, in all honesty, a mere flyby by an RAF F-35 isn't exactly something that I'd be the slightest bit disappointed to miss out on. It's not like there won't be countless opportunities to see not only a brief whizz past at 5'000 ft but hopefully some proper displays in the years ahead.

F-16 display, the PdF and the NATO flypast is a different matter. Very hard to imagine that Sunday will actually witness something that makes Friday or Saturday visitors wish they'd chosen a different day. A Red Arrows flypast with an Jet2 737 or something?

The nightmare is if the Mig-21 is Fri/Sat only (if it's actually coming that is).

I'm still just hoping that and the Poles with a Fulcrum or Fitter can be confirmed. We'll have a great display this year with those added.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

harkins wrote:
Rossbeef wrote:Imagine if the MiG-21 gets confirmed but for Sunday only! :ninja:

Really can't see that at all.

convair wrote:F-35 Flyby Fri/Sat - Why did I book Sunday tickets :wall:

I appreciate that these things are adding up when making Sunday look like the short straw but, in all honesty, a mere flyby by an RAF F-35 isn't exactly something that I'd be the slightest bit disappointed to miss out on. It's not like there won't be countless opportunities to see not only a brief whizz past at 5'000 ft but hopefully some proper displays in the years ahead.

F-16 display, the PdF and the NATO flypast is a different matter. Very hard to imagine that Sunday will actually witness something that makes Friday or Saturday visitors wish they'd chosen a different day. A Red Arrows flypast with an Jet2 737 or something?

The nightmare is if the Mig-21 is Fri/Sat only (if it's actually coming that is).

I'm still just hoping that and the Poles with a Fulcrum or Fitter can be confirmed. We'll have a great display this year with those added.

Indeed, will be interesting to see how different the days are and if this will be the norm.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Jeez, I get that it's out of their control, but I'm sorry, those of us who can only make Sunday (I can only make Sunday) are being left pretty short changed this year, whichever way you look at it.

I've been a big supporter of DBH on here over the years, but - at the moment - I'm not the happiest of bunnies.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Hog

Post by Hog »

Sunday might get a B-1 or B-2 flypast I am sure things will even out. I am going on Sunday, still looking forward to it, still a lot of updates to come yet.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

As me honourable friend mentioned a bit up the thread, I think its a reasonable wish that there may be some sort of BA100 commemoration this year. That would be very nice on Sunday, and as I remember the last time it was done with the A380 that was one day only. I know nothing, this is pure speculation.

I still think there's something up a sleeve somewhere.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:As me honourable friend mentioned a bit up the thread, I think its a reasonable wish that there may be some sort of BA100 commemoration this year. That would be very nice on Sunday, and as I remember the last time it was done with the A380 that was one day only. I know nothing, this is pure speculation.

I still think there's something up a sleeve somewhere.

I think there needs to be - at the moment Sunday is down by a massed flypast, a key RAF flypast (where's that coming from by the way, because on Twitter earlier it was made clear that 617 will be in Cyprus over RIAT :dunno: ) and a fast jet display (when compared to the Saturday).

Let's wait and see, but that's a fair few somethings up a fair few sleeves as it stands. I'm happy with differences between the 2 days, but it's not so good to have one day which actually has significantly less.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

I can understand people's frustrations with these non-Sunday participants but if they (NATO flypast, RAF F-35B etc.) are only able to do the two days, should DBH turn them down for the sake of fairness? I for one think not as it'd only look bad on them from the participant's POV, especially when the event is essentially based on the good will of militaries and their air arms.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

CJS wrote: RAF flypast (where's that coming from by the way, because on Twitter earlier it was made clear that 617 will be in Cyprus over RIAT :dunno: .

Marham, they haven’t sent every jet.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I am in the same boat as others (In the Sun Only club) although a flypast by Reds and BA 744 (retro scheme - maybe) would be quite cool - its not quite in the same league as a massed NATO flypast (anyone remember the one in the Bristol Channel a few years back for the NATO conference in Wales).

As part of my hobby - not just photographing aircraft but being a spotter, IAT/RIAT has always been my only way to log most of my mil movements as I have never had the ability or means to travel round other bases.

I do hope they pull something out of the Interesting mil bag for us Sun Club members - fingers crossed.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Tmyers123 wrote:
CJS wrote: RAF flypast (where's that coming from by the way, because on Twitter earlier it was made clear that 617 will be in Cyprus over RIAT :dunno: .

Marham, they haven’t sent every jet.

617 sent 6 of their 9 jets to Cyprus on Tuesday for an exercise there, what makes you think that they'll still be there in the middle of July?
The other 3 jets are probably in bits in a hangar, commonly known as "hangar queens"!

CJS

Post by CJS »

A tweet from 207 said 617 would be in Cyprus.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

CJS wrote:A tweet from 207 said 617 would be in Cyprus.

207 don't reform until 01/07/19, so they don't actually exist at present!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Their Twitter account does

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Interesting that the Spanish navy has just been confirmed as displaying a harrier at Yeovilton as well.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

I assume Yeovilton and RIAT have shared the cost to get the harriers over.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Tommy wrote:Their Twitter account does

Yes, but they don't have any aircraft yet! :lol:

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I can see the RIAT display being reduced to one flying Harrier. Why would RIAT get a pair and Yeovilton just one?

As much as I'm going to enjoy seeing it at multiple shows, there goes RIAT's star item...

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

G-CVIX wrote:I can see the RIAT display being reduced to one flying Harrier. Why would RIAT get a pair and Yeovilton just one?

As much as I'm going to enjoy seeing it at multiple shows, there goes RIAT's star item...

Yeovilton has one flying, one static. RIAT have 2 flying.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

mark_aviation wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:I can see the RIAT display being reduced to one flying Harrier. Why would RIAT get a pair and Yeovilton just one?

I reckon that both RIAT and Yeovilton will each be blessed with 2 Spanish Harriers, 1 flying and 1 spare.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

mark_aviation wrote:

I know that, but why would they have a pairs display worked up, only to fly as a solo at Yeovilton?

I know I'm probably too critical and have too high expectations, but I believe that RIAT now needs bulk, a star item, and some aircraft that are actually going to display on Sunday, in order for it to meet the high RIAT standard that we've grown used too.