Zeltweg 2019

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Andyph

Zeltweg 2019

Post by Andyph »

Milavia says 6/7 Sept 2019

can't find anything to back that up though

Wes_Howes

Re: Zeltweg 2019

Post by Wes_Howes »

According to several different sites, the organisers have been looking at dates in June too. Been keeping an eye on it for a few months now, just wish they'd hurry up an announce a date :grin: :sweat:

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

I'd be happy with that date! My best mate booked his wedding for the weekend after, just in case Zeltweg was 6/7th :grin:

Badger96

Post by Badger96 »

Hi all, I appreciate there is still over a year to go before this show however, I have never been to a show outside the UK but am hoping this will change in 2019. I am thinking of attending Zeltweg next year and would be grateful for any advice? I ideally wouldn’t want to hire a car – is this doable? Are Vienna or Salzburg the closest airports with flights from the UK? And has anybody used Austrian public transport to get from these airports to Zeltweg?
Apologies for all the questions. I would be very grateful for any views, particularly those who have attended Zeltweg before. Thanks.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

I did Zeltweg from Vienna in 2013....it’s a 3-4 hour train journey, cost a lot of money and was absolutely rammed with other people going to Zeltweg. I would stay somewhere closer for a couple of days next time! Zeltweg station is pretty close to the show though.

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Badger96 wrote:Hi all, I appreciate there is still over a year to go before this show however, I have never been to a show outside the UK but am hoping this will change in 2019. I am thinking of attending Zeltweg next year and would be grateful for any advice? I ideally wouldn’t want to hire a car – is this doable? Are Vienna or Salzburg the closest airports with flights from the UK? And has anybody used Austrian public transport to get from these airports to Zeltweg?
Apologies for all the questions. I would be very grateful for any views, particularly those who have attended Zeltweg before. Thanks.

I’ve been twice, in 2009 and 2011 - just flew to Vienna and hired a car, stayed in Graz. This worked out absolutely fine.

In truth, it’s a damned awkward place to get to. Graz is (by far) the nearest city, but it has only a small regional airport with no direct flights to the UK. It is however served by Lufthansa, so doing a stop-off in Frankfurt/Munich/Wherever might be an option. Think KLM fly to Graz too so a stopover at Schiphol might also work. Bear in mind these options are liable to be quite expensive.

Once in Graz, I’m sure there are public transport options for attending the show (including rail I think?) From memory the drive to Zeltweg from Graz took just under an hour, and the traffic was well managed despite the enormous crowds which attend.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Badger96

Post by Badger96 »

Both - thank you very much for your replies - some food for thought there - may not be as straight forward as I hoped!

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

I'd also describe Austria as more German than Germany, very few people speak english (and why should they) but it's a very clean and beautiful country.

We stayed in Graz in 2016 after driving down from Vienna. Nothing too complicated about the journey to or from Zeltweg although there is a toll on the quickest route. Plenty of parking and as mentioned before, traffic is managed well. Be careful where you park though as some of the car parks are quite a walk :sweat:

Badger96

Post by Badger96 »

Wes_Howes wrote:I'd also describe Austria as more German than Germany, very few people speak english (and why should they) but it's a very clean and beautiful country.

We stayed in Graz in 2016 after driving down from Vienna. Nothing too complicated about the journey to or from Zeltweg although there is a toll on the quickest route. Plenty of parking and as mentioned before, traffic is managed well. Be careful where you park though as some of the car parks are quite a walk :sweat:

Thanks Wes

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

If you go via Vienna, you'll definitely be looking to stay somewhere closer to get to Zeltweg because it is a ways to travel. Public transport is good, you can walk relatively easily from the station to the airfield. In 2011, I stayed in a town called Leoben about 25-30 minutes away by train (if memory serves), and transport was great and easy from there to Zeltweg. The journey from Vienna can be done using, for instance, the Railjet to Bruck and der Mur before you switch to slower local trains. Honestly, their public transport is easy to navigate and efficient.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Well that's me booked - heading back to Steiermark! :rock:

...and now fervently praying that the dates don't change. :grin:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Not a huge surprise, but the Swiss Hornet display has self-confirmed on Facebook. Looks like our first confirmed act!

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Patrouille Suisse also. :up:

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Any idea when the spotters package will be announced?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Nwalch wrote:Any idea when the spotters package will be announced?

Looks like the official website hasn't properly launched yet - keep your eye on here for proper updates including, presumably, details of the tickets available:

http://www.airpower19.at

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Skyflash wrote:
Nwalch wrote:Any idea when the spotters package will be announced?

Looks like the official website hasn't properly launched yet - keep your eye on here for proper updates including, presumably, details of the tickets available:

http://www.airpower19.at
http://www.airpower.gv.at at least is now in 2019 modus (and that one has been the official site for quite a few shows already).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Thanks! Although how very confusing... the other URL I pasted above is the one which is given on the show's FB page! :dizzy:

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Seems quiet this year - so far. (No this is not the RIAT thread!)

Can't remember how it looked at the same time in 2016

But lots of display calendars are out and not many of the usual culprits include Zeltweg - no French for example.
Wonder if it is going to be a smaller show this year - or perhaps have some aces up their sleeve?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

It's unbelievably quiet - and they have been unbelievably crap about updating the official webpage which is still only showing 3 display teams under the flying display!

I'm sure it will be its usual impressive self, but by God they need to up the ante a bit in terms of providing us with some info.

On another note, the first batch of spotters' passes sold out in under 12 hours :dizzy: - still awaiting confirmation of when the second batch will go on sale.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Skyflash wrote:It's unbelievably quiet - and they have been unbelievably crap about updating the official webpage which is still only showing 3 display teams under the flying display!

I'm sure it will be its usual impressive self, but by God they need to up the ante a bit in terms of providing us with some info.

On another note, the first batch of spotters' passes sold out in under 12 hours :dizzy: - still awaiting confirmation of when the second batch will go on sale.

When did the first batch go on sale. I took my eye off the ball with all the D Day events coming up and missed it. Any word on when to look out for the next batch would be great.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

From their facebook page.. as if they read this thread!

In a few weeks there will be continuously information about the displays. Let yourself be surprised. A little spoiler - a display could be on the spot with more than 30, who will be this?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Nwalch wrote:
Skyflash wrote:It's unbelievably quiet - and they have been unbelievably crap about updating the official webpage which is still only showing 3 display teams under the flying display!

When did the first batch go on sale. I took my eye off the ball with all the D Day events coming up and missed it. Any word on when to look out for the next batch would be great.

About a fortnight ago I think? I guess we just need to keep an eye on the website for details of when the next batch will go on sale.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

I've opted for the 5-day spotters package again, should be a good'un! :rock:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

... and now a message on the FB page regarding recent rumours that the show has been cancelled and stating that they are ‘still working on bringing us a great airshow’ or words to that (somewhat unconvincing) effect.

Just what on earth is going on with Airpower this year!? :roll: :dizzy: