RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
aviodromefriend

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by aviodromefriend »

Just asking, is there someone that can compare the number of flying display aircraft that spent the weekend north side to the number that were in the bit where the pit lane is? Somehow I have the feeling north is hardly used nowadays, only for heavies. (After the explanation about the problems ATC had with flying display aircraft at the western end Gonzo told us about a few years ago, I presume that will not happen again?)
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Looking great for the flypasts but we need the three special F-15s on the deck at Fairford. Even better if they are involved in the flypasts and launching each day, but to just have them involved as a high pass flyover each day without some close up detail would be a wasted opportunity.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I think I agree with you Capercaillie...

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Totally agree, those Eagles have to operate from Fairford!

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:Looking great for the flypasts but we need the three special F-15s on the deck at Fairford. Even better if they are involved in the flypasts and launching each day, but to just have them involved as a high pass flyover each day without some close up detail would be a wasted opportunity.

Yup, they'd be much better off static than just in the flypast - send normal grey ones for that.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

harkins

Post by harkins »

Same applies for the Belgian F-16s. They've been changed from static to flying Fri & Sat. Assuming that is that they send the specially marked ones anyway.

Interesting to note the Dutch aren't included in the flypast (yet) and their F-16 remains listed as static. I'd be a bit surprised if they weren't involved in the NATO flypast.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

According to a post by 'Vador' on his social media, the current plan is to have the D-Day striped F16s joining him at RIAT.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Two U.S. Navy F-18 Super Hornets from Strike Fighter Squadron 113 nick named the 'Stingers' join the line up for The Royal Navy International Air Day - well.... I wonder if they could turn up at RIAT :butt:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Maybe. :wink:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Abbo46 wrote:Maybe. :wink:

I like the sound of that. :lol:

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Rumours of a USN detachment in July at Leeming.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Chris G wrote:Rumours of a USN detachment in July at Leeming.

Very interesting, I read this a few days ago and was eagerly awaiting some news. Although the thought keeps going round my head that because Leemore and Leeming sounds similar that there may have been a few crossed wires somewhere. We shall see.

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Luke28 wrote:
Chris G wrote:Rumours of a USN detachment in July at Leeming.

Very interesting, I read this a few days ago and was eagerly awaiting some news. Although the thought keeps going round my head that because Leemore and Leeming sounds similar that there may have been a few crossed wires somewhere. We shall see.

Lemoore sounds nothing like Leeming though...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Nothing like it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Luke28 wrote:Nothing like it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Say them both out loud... :grin:

Canberra TT.18

Post by Canberra TT.18 »

Big update today?
It is D-Day!

harkins

Post by harkins »

Canberra TT.18 wrote:Big update today?
It is D-Day!

Guess we're all still waiting and hoping that the Romanians will offer their Mig-21 demo and that Poland might allocate something (Fitters and or Fulcrum please?!) And how about a pair of Turkish F-4s for static seeing as discussions are ongoing with them too.

It's getting fairly late in the day now with no French confirmations. I can't recall whether Bastille Day is creating a clash of demand this year but, I thought I'd seen mention of self confirmation of the PdF for one of the show days. What I'd give to see some 2000Cs for the static or something even cooler from the French Navy.

And I wonder if there's any hope of seeing the USN Hornets hop over from Yeovilton? I suspect not as that'd be a hell of a long time for them to be parked up behind fences/cones. I presume they're deploying from their ship.

Just bothered to check and Bastille Day is the weekend before, so no clash. Come on France, please join in.
Last edited by harkins on Thu 06 Jun 2019, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Canberra TT.18 wrote:Big update today?
It is [the anniversary of] D-Day!

I'm not sure that should mean a big update, if anything perhaps the opposite might be more appropriate.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Cannot remember whether this has been posted before from RIAT website -
We are aware that some people are disappointed, as we are, but unfortunately it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep the flying display programme the same for the Saturday and Sunday of the airshow. Factors that can affect the ability of aircraft to participate can come down to availability of an airframe, a crew's flying hours, cost and commitments elsewhere.

Like you, we would like nothing better than to stage every flying spectacle, especially the set pieces, on every day but sadly that is not always possible. Where we do have a chance to influence this, we do try and balance things out if we can and for 2019 we are working on some special flypasts for Sunday. When it comes to participating aircraft, we are often led by the requirements of the operator - and even factors on the day like poor weather can affect what we can put on due to different display heights etc.

We are grateful of all those that send aircraft to participate in the flying and static displays at the Air Tattoo and hope that they will continue to support the show and therefore the work of the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust, our parent charity.

We can confirm that the Red Arrows and Spanish Navy Harrier pair are planning to fly on all three days.
Thomas

sjc101

Post by sjc101 »

Today we can confirm six static military aircraft from five different nations! The UK will be providing an Army Air Corps Apache and Royal Air Force T-6 Texan; Finland a C295M transporter; Germany adds more with an A400M and C160D and the US Navy returns with the P-8A Poseidon.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Hats off to Germany, adding another two aircraft to the static, another chance to see the C-160 before they retire!
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

sjc101 wrote:Today we can confirm six static military aircraft from five different nations! The UK will be providing an Army Air Corps Apache and Royal Air Force T-6 Texan; Finland a C295M transporter; Germany adds more with an A400M and C160D and the US Navy returns with the P-8A Poseidon.

Did Wales leave the UK? :hide: :grin:
Last edited by Chrisse on Thu 06 Jun 2019, 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Well the Germans are certainly on a mission this year! Absolutely top support from them! :clap:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Chrisse wrote:
sjc101 wrote:Today we can confirm six static military aircraft from five different nations! The UK will be providing an Army Air Corps Apache and Royal Air Force T-6 Texan; Finland a C295M transporter; Germany adds more with an A400M and C160D and the US Navy returns with the P-8A Poseidon.

Did Wales leave the UK? :hide: :grin:

Nah, East and West Germany. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Tom105 wrote:Cannot remember whether this has been posted before from RIAT website -
We are aware that some people are disappointed, as we are, but unfortunately it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep the flying display programme the same for the Saturday and Sunday of the airshow. Factors that can affect the ability of aircraft to participate can come down to availability of an airframe, a crew's flying hours, cost and commitments elsewhere.

Like you, we would like nothing better than to stage every flying spectacle, especially the set pieces, on every day but sadly that is not always possible. Where we do have a chance to influence this, we do try and balance things out if we can and for 2019 we are working on some special flypasts for Sunday. When it comes to participating aircraft, we are often led by the requirements of the operator - and even factors on the day like poor weather can affect what we can put on due to different display heights etc.

We are grateful of all those that send aircraft to participate in the flying and static displays at the Air Tattoo and hope that they will continue to support the show and therefore the work of the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust, our parent charity.

We can confirm that the Red Arrows and Spanish Navy Harrier pair are planning to fly on all three days.

I know some people can only get to RIAT on one day, and I feel bad for them - but as someone that always does the airshow Wednesday-Monday I actually love having different displays on different days. After all, this is another way of harking back to the glory days of the '90s when Saturday and Sunday were always different!