RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
harkins

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by harkins »

It’s almost like some people on here dream of as mundane an airshow as possible so they can get on their moral high horse against anyone who weirdly and inexplicably wishes to see the most attractive and lesser seen types still in operation. Bollocks to Mig-29s when we can have a guy on a laptop sat in the middle of the runway demonstrating cyber warfare.

And it’s also interesting that most of Poland’s Air Force seems to have been grounded for two years. Thank goodness the USA has got everyone in Europe’s backs because I fancy the Russians could steamroller Central Europe on a tricycle armed with a stink bomb and sarcasm if the Yanks weren’t interested.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

harkins wrote:It’s almost like some people on here dream of as mundane an airshow as possible so they can get on their moral high horse against anyone who weirdly and inexplicably wishes to see the most attractive and lesser seen types still in operation. Bollocks to Mig-29s when we can have a guy on a laptop sat in the middle of the runway demonstrating cyber warfare.

And it’s also interesting that most of Poland’s Air Force seems to have been grounded for two years. Thank goodness the USA has got everyone in Europe’s backs because I fancy the Russians could steamroller Central Europe on a tricycle armed with a stink bomb and sarcasm if the Yanks weren’t interested.

On the flip side of that, it's almost like some people think that airshows exist for enthusiasts to be happy about what shows up. They don't. They're about recruiting and public outreach. The reality of what types arrive to complete that mission is one of what is currently flying. And honestly, from a recruiting perspective, the Canadian Air Force is a good example...nobody wants to sign on for 25 years of flying/maintaining fighter aircraft older than they are. As our aircraft continue to age (an issue faced by many of the worlds smaller air forces), and the procurement process for replacements continues to get drawn out, we are facing more and more critical pilot shortages.

15 years from now 50% of airshow demos will be F-35's. Look at the air arms that regularly attend RIAT and where they're at in terms of procuring new fighters. Netherlands, Norway, Belgium, Italy, RAF, Turkey (just kidding), USAF, USMC, USN...all going to the F-35.

Would we love to see a Mig 29? sure. Does my enjoyment of RIAT hinge on that happening? no. I'll go and take what shows up as the best of what the air forces of the world had to offer us this year and be thankful that they did.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

JJC wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
jason82wells wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:What do folk think will happen/where they will be parked - the static aircraft due to be also used in the flypast on fri/sat, do we think they will be parked in the red zone closest to the display south parking area, how will they get around moving them off and back into the static line with all the public in the way - sounds like a complex thing to do.

If they use the pit area then no one needs to move. They've also got the option of using the west since the static park is hardly bulging.

And as they've gone from S to F on the attendance list they may go north side, though this wouldn't prove the best option to ticket holders.

Yes but the thing is - they are marked as static and I assume as they have not said other wise - static means for the the whole show duration, they can not be in tow places at the same time, and I dont see how they could be ligned up on the south side flight line and still be called static.

The Belgian F-16s originally due for static have now been removed and instead added as flying under the ‘NATO flypast’ section, as have 2 of the German Typhoons so it seems that these aircraft will no longer be on static display in the showground. Having said that, in the past few years, display aircraft have operated from the ‘pit zone’ area (eg. Reds, Frecce, F-22, Thunderbirds) and have effectively been on static display/easy to view from the showground area when parked up before and after their displays. These aircraft haven’t, however, ever been marked ‘S’ for static display on the official list.

Additionally, static aircraft have been pulled from the show ground overnight for departure/display (Eg. Embrace KC-390 and the Belgian ‘Dark Falcon’ F-16 last year). It’s a fluid process.

Hopefully, given the NATO 70 theme, DBH will capitalise on this presence and the flypast items can operate from the pit zone area where they can also be viewed on the ground throughout the weekend. This is entirely dependent on the flypast items operating from Fairford, which isn’t a certainty at this stage (I don’t think).

I suspect we might get the Reds parked up there again though, considering how much of the marketing has been devoted to this being their last display before the US tour.

Seriously, I wouldn’t fret about this. Plenty room at either lateral (east/west) end of the showground for an aircraft to be both a participant in the flying display AND on static display to all intents. Think of what was done up west in 2016 with the Mirages and F-16s. I’d be surprised to say the least if the plan for this year doesn’t involve something similar.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

harkins

Post by harkins »

Go4Long wrote:On the flip side of that, it's almost like some people think that airshows exist for enthusiasts to be happy about what shows up. They don't. They're about recruiting and public outreach. The reality of what types arrive to complete that mission is one of what is currently flying. And honestly, from a recruiting perspective, the Canadian Air Force is a good example...nobody wants to sign on for 25 years of flying/maintaining fighter aircraft older than they are. As our aircraft continue to age (an issue faced by many of the worlds smaller air forces), and the procurement process for replacements continues to get drawn out, we are facing more and more critical pilot shortages.

That'll be why the Spanish Navy are sending two (out of just 14) 30 year old jets with specially painted tails to England for 10 days. They'll need extra staff at the Oviedo recruitment office following displays in Gloucestershire and Somerset.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Skyflash wrote:
JJC wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
jason82wells wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:What do folk think will happen/where they will be parked - the static aircraft due to be also used in the flypast on fri/sat, do we think they will be parked in the red zone closest to the display south parking area, how will they get around moving them off and back into the static line with all the public in the way - sounds like a complex thing to do.

If they use the pit area then no one needs to move. They've also got the option of using the west since the static park is hardly bulging.

And as they've gone from S to F on the attendance list they may go north side, though this wouldn't prove the best option to ticket holders.

Yes but the thing is - they are marked as static and I assume as they have not said other wise - static means for the the whole show duration, they can not be in tow places at the same time, and I dont see how they could be ligned up on the south side flight line and still be called static.

The Belgian F-16s originally due for static have now been removed and instead added as flying under the ‘NATO flypast’ section, as have 2 of the German Typhoons so it seems that these aircraft will no longer be on static display in the showground. Having said that, in the past few years, display aircraft have operated from the ‘pit zone’ area (eg. Reds, Frecce, F-22, Thunderbirds) and have effectively been on static display/easy to view from the showground area when parked up before and after their displays. These aircraft haven’t, however, ever been marked ‘S’ for static display on the official list.

Additionally, static aircraft have been pulled from the show ground overnight for departure/display (Eg. Embrace KC-390 and the Belgian ‘Dark Falcon’ F-16 last year). It’s a fluid process.

Hopefully, given the NATO 70 theme, DBH will capitalise on this presence and the flypast items can operate from the pit zone area where they can also be viewed on the ground throughout the weekend. This is entirely dependent on the flypast items operating from Fairford, which isn’t a certainty at this stage (I don’t think).

I suspect we might get the Reds parked up there again though, considering how much of the marketing has been devoted to this being their last display before the US tour.

Seriously, I wouldn’t fret about this. Plenty room at either lateral (east/west) end of the showground for an aircraft to be both a participant in the flying display AND on static display to all intents. Think of what was done up west in 2016 with the Mirages and F-16s. I’d be surprised to say the least if the plan for this year doesn’t involve something similar.

Indeed - you’ve said what I was trying to in a much more eloquent way. :biggrin:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

harkins wrote:
Go4Long wrote:That'll be why the Spanish Navy are sending two (out of just 14) 30 year old jets with specially painted tails to England for 10 days. They'll need extra staff at the Oviedo recruitment office following displays in Gloucestershire and Somerset.

Or why other air arms are sending (modern) jet aircraft that first flew in 1974 :lmao:
Got to love Russianhardware

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Everyone’s so clever on here. But you’re missing the point. They bring what they’ve got available. If that’s not what you want to see then that’s too bad for you. The airshow isn’t about you, or me, or any other specific person really. The airshow is about the airshow, and that’s why they fill a 10’000ft crowdline every year. Not because they brought the aircraft Harkins wanted, but because they consistently bring the best of what’s available.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

jasonT1981 wrote:Special tail for the Spanish Harriers coming to RIAT.

Nice. :cool:

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Romanians confirmed!!!
Last edited by Luke28 on Sat 08 Jun 2019, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

YES :rock: :yahoo:

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

A Romanian Air Force MiG-21 LanceR will appear in the Air Tattoo flying display this summer, alongside a C-27J Spartan in the static display! Last seen displaying at RAF Cottesmore at the 2001 Air Tattoo and on static display in 2005, the MiG 21 will make the journey to the UK to join NATO 70th celebrations.

YEEESSS!!! :yahoo: :clap:

roh218

Post by roh218 »

Romanian Mig-21 announced

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

Fantastic work DBH! :clap: Looking forward to seeing this! :shock: :yahoo:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Fantastic news. It can't all be doom and gloom, when there's no reason why - a stunning update and plenty of praise required. :up:
Last edited by Flare Path on Sat 08 Jun 2019, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Any word on which days it'll be flying :whistle:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

CJS wrote:Any word on which days it'll be flying :whistle:

Friday and Saturday :grin:

Joking of course

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Saturday and Sunday, relax. :grin:

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Friday only, with B2 and B1 flypast.
That would put the cat amongst the pigeons :grin:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Lovely :biggrin:

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Judging by the wording of the update, I wonder if the MiG will be part of the NATO flypast.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

mark_aviation wrote:Judging by the wording of the update, I wonder if the MiG will be part of the NATO flypast.

What part of the update gives you that impression?

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Presumably "to join NATO 70th celebrations" which to me is simply because Romania is a NATO member.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I think that means to join the celebration as a whole and not specifically the fly past.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

They (Romania) are actually the partner / host nation for the NATO day’s in Ostrava this year so I reckon it will be the full demo we sadly didn’t get to see last year !