All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Go4Long

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Go4Long »

Ah yes...I definitely did that.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Airshowhammer wrote:I noticed at Duxford the BJT used flares, I don't want to be that guy, but surely Fairford is a much more safer place than Dux to store flares? Don't shoot down, i'm just interested in finding more about it :up:

I am not convinced they were actually flares. I think they might have been fireworks - they certainly popped! Therefore, i'm hoping we'll see them at Fairford. But lets see.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

P&V was sold out last year, I spent ages trying to find some tickets online, ultimately rocked up on the day and went straight in west paying on the gate.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Is it just me or are the RAF leaving it rather late to finalise there participants in the static park as at the moment there is only 4 aircraft and I can't believe that is all that they will confirm, I don't think they have left it this late before?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

edhunter wrote:Is it just me or are the RAF leaving it rather late to finalise there participants in the static park as at the moment there is only 4 aircraft and I can't believe that is all that they will confirm, I don't think they have left it this late before?

The way the RAF is going i'm surprised they even show up!

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I was chatting to group captain townsend the other day about the show - started with a light hearted suggestion of mine - bring a couple of tornados on the back of flat beds for for the static - he said we should look forward not back, so I asked him about a couple of 35s in the static - still waiting for a reply.

Habu

Post by Habu »

Sid-104 wrote:I'll throw this into the mix guys. The Sunday will be the 50th anniversary of man first setting foot on the moon. Maybe something with the Red Arrows flying Apollo formation and something from the states. Participants from NASA unlikely? So what do you think, is detective Sid on to something?

Sid.

A flypast with Orbital's L-1011 stargazer launch platform would be a nice commemoration , such a beautiful and rare aircraft .

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

At least one A-4 Skyhawk is painted in NATO 70 colours, shown at the TLG 51 Air Day. Could be interesting.. :heyhey:
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Airshowhammer wrote:
edhunter wrote:Is it just me or are the RAF leaving it rather late to finalise there participants in the static park as at the moment there is only 4 aircraft and I can't believe that is all that they will confirm, I don't think they have left it this late before?

The way the RAF is going i'm surprised they even show up!

I wouldn't be surprised if what was confirmed now is all they send.

G67

Post by G67 »

IATthenRIAT wrote: he said we should look forward not back

That's ironic for an organisation that rolls out the BBMF and Red Arrows at every opportunity.

'Looking back' accounts for the majority of their flying at RIAT...

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

IATthenRIAT wrote:I was chatting to group captain townsend the other day about the show - started with a light hearted suggestion of mine - bring a couple of tornados on the back of flat beds for for the static - he said we should look forward not back, so I asked him about a couple of 35s in the static - still waiting for a reply.

Army's the same - terminated the White Helmets motorcycle display team as "out of date and not relevant to the modern army" - this from an organisation that turns up to defend the Sovereign with armoured chaps on horses and uses WWI guns pulled by full-time horse artillery. Nobody said MOD had to make sense.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I was thinking yesterday "why does it matter what turns up prior to the show"? it never bothered me in the 90s - I just went down to the travel agents - got my ticket, waited for the day and that was that.
I think media and so much reliance on the internet on our devices large or small, has made it part of our lives to scrutinize everything we see and do - nothing is left to chance anymore.

As many have said it was fabulous walking/driving onto the airfield being directed where to park, and seeing all those suprises - and getting the cirencester air group movements list and seeing what was there, ran that tingle down your spine as you started your two or three hour walk down the static - taking pics and ticking off or noting what you are seeing, before planting yourself ready for the flying.

Always happy days - thats coming from a number cruncher (spotter) first and photographer second.

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Airshowhammer wrote:I thought Fairford was MAA? :dizzy:

Please feel free to correct me as I don't have as much as knowledge as some of you folk on here :up:

I concur as this was the principle reason offered for minimal (if any) changes at RIAT post Shoreham.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

IATthenRIAT wrote:I was thinking yesterday "why does it matter what turns up prior to the show"? it never bothered me in the 90s - I just went down to the travel agents - got my ticket, waited for the day and that was that.
I think media and so much reliance on the internet on our devices large or small, has made it part of our lives to scrutinize everything we see and do - nothing is left to chance anymore.

As many have said it was fabulous walking/driving onto the airfield being directed where to park, and seeing all those suprises - and getting the cirencester air group movements list and seeing what was there, ran that tingle down your spine as you started your two or three hour walk down the static - taking pics and ticking off or noting what you are seeing, before planting yourself ready for the flying.

Always happy days - thats coming from a number cruncher (spotter) first and photographer second.
Where is it written that it is forbidden to not check the participants before the show while going to it? If you want: just stay away from airtattoo.com after you bought your tickets, don't open the e-mails DBH sends out, stay away from RIAT topics on forums, unfollow all aviation accounts on your social media, and rock up on the day.

Reading through the last few years of RIAT threads, I might try to do it myself next year....
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I tried to do this. It is harder than you might think...

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Airshowhammer wrote:I noticed at Duxford the BJT used flares, I don't want to be that guy, but surely Fairford is a much more safer place than Dux to store flares? Don't shoot down, i'm just interested in finding more about it :up:
BJT has used flares for years already, and yes, they use lots of them in their final break. Just not at a certain airshow in Gloucestershire. When he was still around, RIAT Air Ops has posted here multiple times why it won´t happen (maybe nowadays a search function is needed to find it back between all the moaning) and a small answer is at their FAQ page https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/about-the-air-tattoo/frequently-asked-questions then click at aircraft (that will make it easier to find that question). It is not about storing flares, it is a problem about handling flares. Fairford is so filled up during RIAT that flares can easily damage other aircraft if they pop out unintentionally (of course you can argue what is more important to not be damaged by those flares, aircraft right next to them, or people walking around them).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

MiG_Eater wrote:I tried to do this. It is harder than you might think...

I'll second this. I lasted all of a month before being tempted back. Next year is the year! :grin:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

As mentioned in a previous post, i'm not attending this years show, however i will do 2020's one.

But, i will not follow the show here at all, and i will remove myself from the mailing list so that i can literally feel the excitement and wonderment / thrill i used to get when turning up only knowing a bit of what is scheduled to appear.

Maybe i'm trying to create the magic again, that i experienced coming in from Lechlade, and seeing those tails, and a full 'live side' pan, etc. for the first time.

News blackout for me, and strangely enough the thought does appeal considerably, even if the show turns out to be a 'not a good year' one, that's my risk but i'll still get a thrill not knowing.
I remember when the bear was confirmed in the magazines (i remember the blackjack being confirmed in later years too) turning up in P&V west right by it, then, because i didnt attend that weekend for the show proper, being stunned by seeing the Fiat G91's (i'd never seen one before) take off.

Thats what i'm going for next year. Got to be worth a little effort to try and get that old excitement back. For those of you that don't know the feeling because of the instant info etc nowadays, can i suggest you try it, just once. You might find it leads to an even better airshow experience and more fun than knowing beforehand.
Got to love Russianhardware

Habu

Post by Habu »

For those that are interested , the Plaieds satellite image capture is planned for 11.03 am on the Friday (weather permitting). Will be great if the NATO flypast coincides.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:As mentioned in a previous post, i'm not attending this years show, however i will do 2020's one.

But, i will not follow the show here at all, and i will remove myself from the mailing list so that i can literally feel the excitement and wonderment / thrill i used to get when turning up only knowing a bit of what is scheduled to appear.

Maybe i'm trying to create the magic again, that i experienced coming in from Lechlade, and seeing those tails, and a full 'live side' pan, etc. for the first time.

News blackout for me, and strangely enough the thought does appeal considerably, even if the show turns out to be a 'not a good year' one, that's my risk but i'll still get a thrill not knowing.
I remember when the bear was confirmed in the magazines (i remember the blackjack being confirmed in later years too) turning up in P&V west right by it, then, because i didnt attend that weekend for the show proper, being stunned by seeing the Fiat G91's (i'd never seen one before) take off.

Thats what i'm going for next year. Got to be worth a little effort to try and get that old excitement back. For those of you that don't know the feeling because of the instant info etc nowadays, can i suggest you try it, just once. You might find it leads to an even better airshow experience and more fun than knowing beforehand.

Exactly my memories and same feelings in 89, 91,93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 03 was easily the best single day each year over all those years.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

How cool would it be to have another 5 o'clock update like there was in 2012?

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

2e1var wrote:P&V was sold out last year, I spent ages trying to find some tickets online, ultimately rocked up on the day and went straight in west paying on the gate.

I know in 2017 they were turning people away from P&V West on the Monday, including ticket holders. I was a bit worried last year as I missed out on tickets but was told that they had increased the capacity at West and there shouldn't be a problem getting in as long as you get there at a decent time. I'm not aware they were turning people away from P&V West last year. Bottom line though; ticket or no ticket - if you get there early enough you'll get in, leave it late you may not.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

G-PIGY and G-BEOL short skyvans which in the past have been frequent visitors to riat and other shows have been de-registered from UK and moved to Guyana
Thomas

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Tom105 wrote:G-PIGY and G-BEOL short skyvans which in the past have been frequent visitors to RIAT and other shows have been de-registered from UK and moved to Guyana

G-Pigy? Isn't that the Bronco Demo Teams Skyvan? :(

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Yep they were both owned by the same person as the bronco and always came together.
Thomas