Flying Legends 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
HuwJHopkins

Re: Flying Legends 2019

Post by HuwJHopkins »

jalfrezi wrote:
Mike wrote:I'm not going unless we have at least five He 177s flying aerobatics, a three-ship of Catalinas and seven Tigercats. All in brilliant sunshine, and I think the ticket price will be a rip-off if it is any more than £2.50.

That all sounds great, though not sure about the brilliant sunshine, not unless you can get them to rotate the airfield 90 degrees?

If sunshine isn't actually sunshine at Duxford (or something) because of the airfield orientation, does that also mean rain isn't actually rain?

I hope you've bought your ticket for the Evening display at Duxford next weekend? I've been hearing enthusiasts banging on about Duxford's poor orientation for well over a decade now, but I'm also hearing that the upcoming first Evening show at Duxford for decades (with some lovely rare aircraft) is in serious need of a boost in ticket sales. Where are all the people who always hark on about Duxford being the wrong orientation!? Enthusiasts are hopeless... :confused:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I am actually hoping to attend next weekend's evening show, but I'll buy my ticket on the Friday based on the weather forecast for the show.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Pan Am, Swiss & Norwegian DC-3s will be at Legends.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Considering the shows only a few weeks away I was expecting an increase in aircraft confirmations yet it seems to have done the opposite. Still excited for the show though

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

UKAirshowTour wrote:Considering the shows only a few weeks away I was expecting an increase in aircraft confirmations yet it seems to have done the opposite. Still excited for the show though

Agreed. To only have 29 aircraft confirmed this close to the event (Not including the Reds here) is mighty unusual. I too was also expecting almost daily additions. Yes there are a core of us that would still get tickets even if there was no announcement, but I'm sure there is also a ticket selling benefit to publishing what is coming ahead of time. Particularly now we are in the "advanced ticket only" era.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Spitfire Mk XVIII SM845 added.

Horsemen website no longer has Legends on their schedule: http://www.horsemenflight.com/schedule

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:Spitfire Mk XVIII SM845 added.

Horsemen website no longer has Legends on their schedule: http://www.horsemenflight.com/schedule

That's a little disconcerting too!
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

yannyfoxx

Post by yannyfoxx »

Just looking back at the 2010 programme... 55 aircraft that year including 30 different types from all over Europe including the I-16, seven P-51s, three Skyraiders, an A26 etc etc. I keep reading that we have a flourishing warbird scene but that doesn't seem to be the case if the country's premiere warbird show is struggling to match an event nine years ago. An announcement a day wouldn't get us to this number and we've currently only been getting about two a week. Unless it's a return to the 'keeping things under wraps' approach, there does seem to be some kind of problem getting anything overseas authorised. With no transparency we're left to speculate and hope Jane and the gang work it all out. Only twenty days to go!

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

The frustration is they constantly put up messages on social media telling everyone to buy tickets. I bought mine months ago I just want to know what I’m seeing

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

yannyfoxx wrote:Just looking back at the 2010 programme... 55 aircraft that year including 30 different types from all over Europe including the I-16, seven P-51s, three Skyraiders, an A26 etc etc. ...there does seem to be some kind of problem getting anything overseas authorised. With no transparency we're left to speculate and hope Jane and the gang work it all out. Only twenty days to go!

You're never going to get that level of European participation ever again. There's a problem booking European civilian acts. It isn't in the Fighter Collection's interest to say, we'd love to book these European aircraft but the CAA is making that next to impossible. Without the CAA you don't get any airshow at all, so to "air your dirty laundry in public" about them doesn't make sense.

Just the way things are now.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Ryan. wrote:
yannyfoxx wrote:Just looking back at the 2010 programme... 55 aircraft that year including 30 different types from all over Europe including the I-16, seven P-51s, three Skyraiders, an A26 etc etc. ...there does seem to be some kind of problem getting anything overseas authorised. With no transparency we're left to speculate and hope Jane and the gang work it all out. Only twenty days to go!

You're never going to get that level of European participation ever again. There's a problem booking European civilian acts. It isn't in the Fighter Collection's interest to say, we'd love to book these European aircraft but the CAA is making that next to impossible. Without the CAA you don't get any airshow at all, so to "air your dirty laundry in public" about them doesn't make sense.

Just the way things are now.

Would someone mind reiterating the problem with European based warbirds appearing in the UK, please?

What type of restrictions are they?

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

+1.... If it's not Swedish jet-powered then I'm unaware of those restrictions too! ( I can't be alone in not understanding this SwAFHF situation either, okay to fly off the coast in UK. in Territorial Waters, but not overland?) :dizzy: :surrender:

Bedslanc

Post by Bedslanc »

Basically most non UK caa approved displays can't display without getting a UK display authorisation

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Bedslanc wrote:Basically most non UK caa approved displays can't display without getting a UK display authorisation

OK... I'm feeling ignorant about this too. Wasn't this always the case?

In the past, most arriving European aircraft (on Thursday or Friday before the show) were typically back in the air within an hour or two to conduct practice displays. I was always under the impression this was for pilot DA purposes. Is this not the case?

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Stagger2 wrote:+1.... If it's not Swedish jet-powered then I'm unaware of those restrictions too! ( I can't be alone in not understanding this SwAFHF situation either, okay to fly off the coast in UK. in Territorial Waters, but not overland?) :dizzy: :surrender:

I can answer the Swedish question, at least to some extent. The CAA requires an 'admin' fee of £10k (that was the fee at the time of the Scampton airshow) per pilot to recognise their Swedish DA. One UK show had sponsorship in place to cover that cost for just one pilot, but that fell through just prior to Scampton. ( that was the story I was told at least :dunno: )

I am less clear why this isn't required on coastal displays.

Could this also be the problem for other non-UK display pilots ££££?

Post by 5944 »

DH-9 added.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Pan Am confirmed
edit - dc3 from historic flight foundation
Last edited by Tom105 on Thu 27 Jun 2019, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

st24

Post by st24 »

Tom105 wrote:Pan Am confirmed

I think that needs a tad more detail!!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

timuss

Post by timuss »

I see Spitfire IX G-IRTY otherwise known as the Silver Spit made, its first flight today.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

timuss wrote:I see Spitfire IX G-IRTY otherwise known as the Silver Spit made, its first flight today.

Another Buchon has also emerged at Sywell, no engine runs yet though.

cma

Post by cma »

New participant, C-47 Drag Em Oot

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Spitfire IA G-AIST/AR213 added
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Aces High DC-3 confirmed.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Interesting to note berlin express and hun hunter have both had engine runs yesterday, do hope there added!
Thomas

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

Tom105 wrote:Interesting to note berlin express and hun hunter have both had engine runs yesterday, do hope there added!

You and me both... plus Miss Helen?