Re: RIAT 2019

Post by capercaillie »

At least they have answered that part, and good news it is. :up: :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Very nice news. Lets hope all the aircraft stick around for static display on the Sunday.

Hog

Post by Hog »

Still hoping the Sunday people get something extra, still time yet, could just be announced on the Sunday itself so still an exciting prospect!

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

I know many have said they should announce what the Sunday flypasts will be as it will sell more tickets but perhaps they are keeping them as a surprise just as the B-2 on Saturday last year and on the Sunday the year before were kept quiet.

CJS

Post by CJS »

JJC wrote:Interesting that the NATO E-3 is down as an E-3D?

Good to see so much of the flypast will be operating from Fairford.

Will it be available to see on Sunday though?
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Still surprised no RAF Atlas on the list yet, sent two for the last two years, appreciate the kerfuffle going on in the press regarding serviceability may be stopping commitment.

So the final question remains is Japan sending anything this year? I think it was announced about the time they were departing last year, they do like to leave it late. :ninja:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Andyperkins wrote:I know many have said they should announce what the Sunday flypasts will be as it will sell more tickets but perhaps they are keeping them as a surprise just as the B-2 on Saturday last year and on the Sunday the year before were kept quiet.

This way of thinking may result in bitter disappointment!

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

That’s a real shame if it turns out to be a E-3D. It’s still on the website as an E-3A though.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

mark_aviation wrote:That’s a real shame if it turns out to be a E-3D. It’s still on the website as an E-3A though.

I'd have thought it will be NATO's birthday bird if its serviceable. :up:

JJC

Post by JJC »

capercaillie wrote:
mark_aviation wrote:That’s a real shame if it turns out to be a E-3D. It’s still on the website as an E-3A though.

I'd have thought it will be NATO's birthday bird if its serviceable. :up:

They have tagged the NATO AWACS force in the tweet, so presume it will be a NATO example and this is just another example of poor attention to detail from the PR department.

Their twitter account is @E3AComponent :facepalm:
Last edited by JJC on Thu 11 Jul 2019, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Andyperkins wrote:I know many have said they should announce what the Sunday flypasts will be as it will sell more tickets but perhaps they are keeping them as a surprise just as the B-2 on Saturday last year and on the Sunday the year before were kept quiet.

What does that achieve though?

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:At least they have answered that part, and good news it is. :up: :biggrin:

Just those pesky Eagles and possible legacy marked KC to get..
I do hope the RAF Typhoons have the NATO anniversary stickers!! :rock: :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I have been one of the people saying that (more than once). I also said that if it *is* the B-2, they should just commit to the surprise and not say a word; like they did during the previous two appearances. The secret-squirrelling just grates and is irritating. It’s not a surprise if for several months prior you’ve hinting at a flypast and not telling anyone about it.

And they end each mention of a Sunday flypast with “we’ll bring you more news as soon as we can”. Well, if they are keeping it a secret (under directions of the flypastee or otherwise), they they obviously won’t “give us more news” as soon as they can, because the first we’ll hear about it is when the commentary starts hyping it up after some keen-eyed crowd members have spotted it holding somewhere.

So if it’s not the B-2, they *must* have an idea what this Sunday flypast is by now. As I said back god knows when and god knows how many times, they could at least be as transparent as they used to be and say what they’re working on, even in ultra vague terms; “we hope to tribute the brave pioneers of space travel and exploration” or... Christ idk, “we’re trying hard to arrange a special D-Day commemoration flypast on Sunday”.

Just... something!

Until then, Schrödinger’s Sunday flypast continues to irritate, rather than whet the appetite.

For me, at any rate.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Separately, the French ‘135 is a splendid addition. :king:

harkins

Post by harkins »

Great news that the flypast will largely be Fairford based. That makes a huge difference to the overall quality of the show.

Still not convinced they'll be able to integrate the aircraft into the static park for Sunday but, fingers crossed that they can get some over though, especially any that have special markings.

capercaillie wrote:So the final question remains is Japan sending anything this year? I think it was announced about the time they were departing last year, they do like to leave it late. :ninja:

I honestly can't remember but, wasn't the C-2 sent as a joint effort between the JASDF and Kawasaki with Farnborough arguably the primary reason they came over last year?

And I seem to recall seeing both the P-1 and C-2 pictured at Paris a few weeks back. Quite soon for a another visit to Europe perhaps?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

harkins wrote: I honestly can't remember but, wasn't the C-2 sent as a joint effort between the JASDF and Kawasaki with Farnborough arguably the primary reason they came over last year?

You're right, you don't :grin: Never went to Farnborough.

They're going everywhere these days, they've been in Canada recently on exercise, so number of visits doesn't seem to come into it. It will be US-2 this year anyhow, I can feel it in my bones. :ghost:

harkins

Post by harkins »

capercaillie wrote:
harkins wrote: I honestly can't remember but, wasn't the C-2 sent as a joint effort between the JASDF and Kawasaki with Farnborough arguably the primary reason they came over last year?

You're right, you don't :grin: Never went to Farnborough.

They're going everywhere these days, they've been in Canada recently on exercise, so number of visits doesn't seem to come into it. It will be US-2 this year anyhow, I can feel it in my bones. :ghost:

Ha ha, I knew I'd be wrong! The US-2 would be great but I'm sure we'd know by now as somebody would have seen the giant paddling pool being constructed for the role demo.

CJS

Post by CJS »

st24 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:At least they have answered that part, and good news it is. :up: :biggrin:

If almost all of the flypast is going to be based at ffd and it doesn't all bugger off on Saturday night, is there a particular reason why it couldn't be put on again in the Sunday? I guess it doesn't actually imply they will return to ffd after the flypast though, so maybe that's part of it.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

CJS wrote:
st24 wrote:

If almost all of the flypast is going to be based at ffd and it doesn't all bugger off on Saturday night, is there a particular reason why it couldn't be put on again in the Sunday? I guess it doesn't actually imply they will return to ffd after the flypast though, so maybe that's part of it.

Thought this covered that well enough...

Factors that can affect the ability of an aircraft (or flypast) to appear on each day can include cost, availability of an airframe, a crew’s flying hours and commitments elsewhere.
Last edited by Andyperkins on Thu 11 Jul 2019, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

CJS wrote:
st24 wrote:

i suspect they will do the flypast on friday, land, be given pride of place on the static line, fly up again on the saturday and then fly back to home bases. this way they can maximise the annoyance of the people attending sunday only

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

God you sunday people, moan moan moan, you're seeing a lot more flying than those attending friday only!
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Canberra TT.18

Post by Canberra TT.18 »

The static has just one (1) RAF fighter.
A single 9 Sqn Typhoon. :shock:
That must be an all time low. (Only one step from the lowest possible :-X )

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

That is absolutely mad isn't it. How times change.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Canberra TT.18 wrote:The static has just one (1) RAF fighter.
A single 9 Sqn Typhoon. :shock:
That must be an all time low. (Only one step from the lowest possible :-X )

well lets honest we only have 2 fighter types. one is displaying, flypasting and on static. the other there are only a small number of and they are busy (we are lucky to be getting a flypast from it)

harkins

Post by harkins »

rdchawk wrote:God you sunday people, moan moan moan, you're seeing a lot more flying than those attending friday only!

I know we've been over and over this already but, Friday has always been a short display and has always been advertised as such. There has never been a time when Friday would get even close to the same amount of display flying as Saturday or Sunday (and until quite recently there was no Friday display at all). The only change to that this year is that for reasons unfathomable, they're charging the same ticket price as for the full days. It's crazy but, it's a different matter and one that people were well aware of as soon as tickets were announced/made available for Friday.

And despite what some claim, up until this year and perhaps the exception of last years RAF100 show, the differences between Saturday and Sunday have been slight and arguably fairly balanced over the years (excluding either weather or tech issues).

So moaning is pretty understandable and unfortunately as with any complaint typed on here though, it will change nothing.