Flying Legends 2019

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
duxfordhawk

Re: Flying Legends 2019

Post by duxfordhawk »

Really saddened to hear the Berlin Express and Hun Hunter have both departed Duxford, seems such a shame BE never did a full display at Legends. I really hoped to see her fly and it feels a bit like being robbed that she is leaving just before the best warbird show in Europe.
I hate to say it as I have only missed 2 Flying Legends since 1995, but I am not sure I can justify the train fare and ticket price at the moment so it looks like I will not be there. I really respect what the organisers do and appreciate it is not easy to bring such events to life and I am truly thankful, but money is tight for me this year after starting a new job and I am struggling to convince myself to take the plunge and book, I know that sounds really negative, it's not meant to.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

keithjs wrote:
Jakub.Zurek wrote:If they're both leaving, then that's a huge shame. Two fully serviceable and gorgeous P-51s leaving a day before the largest warbird show in the country.

Indeed, but any particular reason why they couldn't come back on Saturday morning for effect? Just wondering.... :dunno:

I mean there's always hope they'll come back on Saturday morning with the Bf 109 White 14 from Biggin :lol:

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:If they're both leaving, then that's a huge shame. Two fully serviceable and gorgeous P-51s leaving a day before the largest warbird show in the country.

Wow, that is bitterly disappointing.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

G-CVIX wrote:

Wow, that is bitterly disappointing.

If this turns out to be accurate, then a baffling decision.

Particularly in view of this year's rather mundane lineup.

Did it ever become clear if the Horsemen are appearing or not?

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

pb643 wrote:

No Horsemen display according to the flying programme.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

jalfrezi wrote:
pb643 wrote:

No Horsemen display according to the flying programme.

Thank you.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

It's not quite the line up from last year, the Red Bull aircraft being elsewhere is sorely felt, but it does still have some highlights. It's a shame about Berlin Express and the Hun Hunter however you never know what's going on behind closed doors. Would have loved to have seen them both again.

Five Buchon's and, wind permitting, a DH-9 still gives me something to look forward too.
Last edited by Ryan. on Fri 12 Jul 2019, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 »

Ryan. wrote:It's not quite the lone up from last year, the Red Bull aircraft being elsewhere is sorely felt, but it does still have some highlights. It's a shame about Berlin Express and the Hun Hunter however you never know what's going on behind closed doors. Would have loved to have seen them both again.

Five Buchon's and, wind permitting, a DH-9 still gives me something to look forward too.

Wasn't as if they could leave via the back door and no one would notice....but 2 days before..........come on

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

There is probably a story we are not aware of regarding Berlin Express and Hun Hunter. It does seem unusual that they have been flown to Biggin Hill, previous USA based aircraft have always arrived/departed either under their own power or in crates straight to and from Duxford.

Surely if could not display in the show, they could have joined the flight line.
Martin
To see my Photos go to

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Mike1 wrote:
Ryan. wrote:It's not quite the lone up from last year, the Red Bull aircraft being elsewhere is sorely felt, but it does still have some highlights. It's a shame about Berlin Express and the Hun Hunter however you never know what's going on behind closed doors. Would have loved to have seen them both again.

Wasn't as if they could leave via the back door and no one would notice....but 2 days before..........come on

I think duxfordhawk is right, there's probably more going on. But of course still sorry to lose them so close to Flying Legends.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Ryan. wrote:
Mike1 wrote:

I think duxfordhawk is right, there's probably more going on. But of course still sorry to lose them so close to Flying Legends.

Is there a link between the two P51's and the Horsemen? Other than their hoped-for appearance not happening?

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Dan Friedkin owns both P-51s and is a Horseman.
Or is that not what you meant?

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

I read on another forum that IWM couldn’t/didn’t want to give Dan Friedkin the hangar space he wanted to bring across another warbird.

neilos

Post by neilos »

Going by the freshly painted white lines on the grass, looks like same parking arrangements at the Royston end as per the May airshow :roll:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

DaveBr wrote:Dan Friedkin owns both P-51s and is a Horseman.
Or is that not what you meant?

That's exactly what I meant, possibly the on/off Horsemen display and bizarre 12th hour departure of the P51's are linked?

When the Horsemen have displayed before, am I correct in saying that they have only used one visiting airframe and the others were resident in the UK?

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

No. No, pattern. 0, 1 or 2 US registered/imported aircraft in various years...

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:I read on another forum that IWM couldn’t/didn’t want to give Dan Friedkin the hangar space he wanted to bring across another warbird.

So are they both being taken back to the USA or is there any hope of them displaying in the UK at all. They would be very welcome at Biggin Hill next month.
Martin
To see my Photos go to

neilos

Post by neilos »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:I read on another forum that IWM couldn’t/didn’t want to give Dan Friedkin the hangar space he wanted to bring across another warbird.

More like IWM London are sticking their beaks in. Seeing as those aircraft which are normally hangared are taken part are already on the flight line, there is plenty of hangar space available :dunno:

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

Considering the long connection between The Fighter Collection and Dan Friedkin/Comanche Fighters the last few days have seemed very strange, I hope both Hun Hunter and Berlin Express are not leaving the UK yet and we will get a display from Berlin Express somewhere. I hope there is a chance
For the first time in 16 years, I have decided to give this weekend at legends a miss. I hope it is a great and safe display and I look forward to seeing peoples photos.
Martin
To see my Photos go to

RedEagle

Post by RedEagle »

Chaps
Just a quickie:
Normally park at the Royston end. Will the queues be any worse coming from the M11 and parking east side ? Talking Sunday, by the way!
Cheers

FTS

Post by FTS »

DH9s gone tech. They hope to have it flying tommorow
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

neilos

Post by neilos »

RedEagle wrote:Chaps
Just a quickie:
Normally park at the Royston end. Will the queues be any worse coming from the M11 and parking east side ? Talking Sunday, by the way!
Cheers

It was a bit manic at the Royston end. I got there around 8am and it still took 40mins to get parked up.

I would imagine Sunday will be quieter as the Reds aren’t there.

To be fair, it seems everyone turned up at once and the car parking chaps coped well, although some people were still moaning about how long it took to get in :roll:

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Can anybody advise where the disabled car parking is located this year ?

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Can anybody advise where the disabled car parking is located this year ?

neilos

Post by neilos »

DOUGHNUT wrote:Can anybody advise where the disabled car parking is located this year ?

Royston end, between Landwarfare Hall & AAM.