First time in RIAT, best place in the crowdline?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
em8

First time in RIAT, best place in the crowdline?

Post by em8 »

Hello, this will be my first time at RIAT and I'm not sure what to expect. I will be going on Saturday and Sunday. Both days I'll be using the shuttle bus and intend to get on the first or second bus early morning but even so I guess there will already be plenty of people.

Taking this into consideration where would it be the best position to watch the display from? I'd like to be fairly centred in order to see the display teams crosses and breaks. I've seen this map: https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/showground-map but the blue zone seems really cluttered so I don't know.

I was also thinking that even if I manage to get fairly close to the first row despite arriving by bus there might be too much clutter and become a bit too stressful and difficult to actually move the camera. I have a Tamron 100-400 lens as an indication. I also have a tiny foldable chair (this one:https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tripod-grey-id_8387460.html ) which I would like to set up as 8 hours standing up is too much for my legs.

Sorry for all that information but I thought the more I explained my thinking and situation, the better you'd be able to help me. Thanks in advance.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: First time in RIAT, best place in the crowdline?

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

The central (blue) area does have some crowdline, although the map doesn't really show it. The front row is taken quickly, and I think you'll struggle to find a spot on the rope without a bit of luck.

Out towards either end is less crowded as you'd imagine. Arriving by bus you'll be coming in at the East end, it might worth you heading to the crowd line in the red zone and seeing what's available, getting as close to the centre as you can. If you don't make the front row, then the view from opposite the hangars is still good as the ground rises away from the crowd line.

At the other end, there is always seems to be fewest spectators and most space, buts its the longest hike for you.

I hope that helps a little.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i work on the assumption that they centre the display around the FRIAT and posh people enclosures, as such i try to get as close to those as possible.
i was to the left of the grandstand last time and got some great results from there

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Display centre is indeed FRIAT.

Costar1198

Post by Costar1198 »

I tend to post myself just behind or to the left of the disabled enclosure, used it in 2017 and was right at the centre of the AHDTs wall of fire. Only problem here is that unless you're far enough up front you get the FRIAT stand in the way.

em8

Post by em8 »

Thank you very much for all the answers. Will I be able to set my small chair linked in my first post close to the front row?

CJS

Post by CJS »

em8 wrote:Thank you very much for all the answers. Will I be able to set my small chair linked in my first post close to the front row?

I think you'll just about get away with it :grin:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

steunited

Post by steunited »

My first time too and I have bought a wristband to get into the garden village on Saturday,does it get really busy in that section and will it not be too bad to get a decent spot on the crowdline.

CJS

Post by CJS »

steunited wrote:My first time too and I have bought a wristband to get into the garden village on Saturday,does it get really busy in that section and will it not be too bad to get a decent spot on the crowdline.

In my two times in the viewing village (soon to be three - I know, hey big spender...) I've always thought the sitting on the grass bit looked fairly uncrowded to me - but to get on the crowdline you'll want to hot foot it over there still I would imagine.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Personally unless you desperately need pictures of aircraft on the runway and/or taking-off then I don't get this obsession to be on the crowdline. You are in the middle of a huge field and even 30 feet back from the rope you will have personal space with great views and photo opportunities as the planes fly in front and over you, even more so with that tamron. Relax and enjoy your day.

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

The last few years I have favoured the corner of the red zone where it meets the blue zone. Firstly it's not far off display centre, there is a fire lane which if you're lucky enough to get to early enough gives you a good view towards the west. It's a good place to catch the Reds as they commence their display in the overhead too. It's also close to the food areas and toilets, and if you're fortunate enough to get close enough to the front it's around where most of the fast jets rotate on take off if they're taking off from the eastern end.

Also if you're there early enough, most years recently someone has been seen to be messing about with a UAV between the hangars on the far side before the display commences.

One problem with the area is you tend to get more selfish step ladder bearing twonks pushing to the front when the headliners come on. Nearly turned nasty a couple of years ago when a couple of french blokes took offence at being asked not to be twonks on ladders just behind the crowdline.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

CJS wrote:
steunited wrote:My first time too and I have bought a wristband to get into the garden village on Saturday,does it get really busy in that section and will it not be too bad to get a decent spot on the crowdline.

In my two times in the viewing village (soon to be three - I know, hey big spender...) I've always thought the sitting on the grass bit looked fairly uncrowded to me - but to get on the crowdline you'll want to hot foot it over there still I would imagine.

Ste, I would echo CJS's response. I did the Viewing Village from 2011 to 2017 and always found it to be a great experience... quite relaxed, not oversubscribed... never far from a coffee vendor or toilet either. If you're in the Viewing Village, you won't need your seat as there will either be garden seats to sit on already in there, or you'll have a ticket marked for the Grandstand in that enclosure.

I changed to FRIAT Mach 3 last year due to the 'threat' of it all being a modern-day 'super show.' 2019 won't be like last year, but I've stuck with FRIAT again this year and can't see me changing back to the Viewing Village. But it is a good place to be, just left of crowd centre. One thing I would say is, I never managed to nail a photograph of the 'wall of fire' background to the Apache role demo. I'm hoping that I'll get that in the FRIAT Grandstand this time. But from the Viewing Village, I got some great passing shots of the display teams. You'll do well in there I'm sure.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

steunited

Post by steunited »

Thanks for the replies my wristband is for on the ground rather than in the grandstand which I think I will actually prefer.
Will i have to make my way there straight away to ensure a crowdline position or will there be time to have a look around the static displays first.
I also have a normal entry ticket for the Sunday so will that be in the green zone?

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

steunited wrote:Thanks for the replies my wristband is for on the ground rather than in the grandstand which I think I will actually prefer.
Will i have to make my way there straight away to ensure a crowdline position or will there be time to have a look around the static displays first.
I also have a normal entry ticket for the Sunday so will that be in the green zone?

Ste,
I would go to the Viewing Village enclosure as soon as you can, especially if you want a front row placement. Once you're all set up there, you go and wander the static etc.

For Sunday, your general admission ticket will allow you to roam/position yourself in any of the publicly open spaces that are not inside enclosures. You're not limited to Green zone. Before joining the FRIAT Mach 3 brigade, I used to do the Friday in the Red zone and had good results getting near the front.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

steunited

Post by steunited »

spellow3010 wrote:
steunited wrote:Thanks for the replies my wristband is for on the ground rather than in the grandstand which I think I will actually prefer.

Ste,
I would go to the Viewing Village enclosure as soon as you can, especially if you want a front row placement. Once you're all set up there, you go and wander the static etc.

For Sunday, your general admission ticket will allow you to roam/position yourself in any of the publicly open spaces that are not inside enclosures. You're not limited to Green zone. Before joining the FRIAT Mach 3 brigade, I used to do the Friday in the Red zone and had good results getting near the front.

great thanks

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Sabrina wrote:Personally unless you desperately need pictures of aircraft on the runway and/or taking-off then I don't get this obsession to be on the crowdline. You are in the middle of a huge field and even 30 feet back from the rope you will have personal space with great views and photo opportunities as the planes fly in front and over you, even more so with that Tamron. Relax and enjoy your day.

This. Once you try an airshow outside of the crowd line scrum, you’ll never go back. Much more relaxing, no constant trying to get the same photo as everyone else.

Anyway, at RIAT there are a couple of places with a shallow gradient meaning you can get decent takeoff shots from 30 ft back....

Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

em8

Post by em8 »

Mictheslik wrote:
Sabrina wrote:Personally unless you desperately need pictures of aircraft on the runway and/or taking-off then I don't get this obsession to be on the crowdline. You are in the middle of a huge field and even 30 feet back from the rope you will have personal space with great views and photo opportunities as the planes fly in front and over you, even more so with that Tamron. Relax and enjoy your day.

This. Once you try an airshow outside of the crowd line scrum, you’ll never go back. Much more relaxing, no constant trying to get the same photo as everyone else.

Anyway, at RIAT there are a couple of places with a shallow gradient meaning you can get decent takeoff shots from 30 ft back....

That looks something like what I'm looking for. Could you tell me where that spot is, based on the map I linked in my first message?

darkman

Post by darkman »

There is usually a small section for photographers to left hand side at the front if that's any use to you. Never seemed to be overly crowded anytime I have been.