Best route

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
fire3

Best route

Post by fire3 »

Hi all.

Managed to get tickets for saturday, we are staying in Lechlade-on-Thames friday - sunday, what's the best route to the show on saturday and what time do you think we should leave to make it there for around 830/9ish?

Thanks in advance
Ad

CJS

Re: Best route

Post by CJS »

fire3 wrote:Hi all.

Managed to get tickets for saturday, we are staying in Lechlade-on-Thames friday - sunday, what's the best route to the show on saturday and what time do you think we should leave to make it there for around 830/9ish?

Thanks in advance
Ad

Follow the signs - you won't have a lot of choice in your route anyway.

To make it to the car park or to make it in to the showground? The former - half 7. The latter, earlier!

It's 5 miles - have you considered walking (not a joke)? It certainly might save time after the show if not in the morning.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

CJS wrote:
fire3 wrote:Hi all.

Thanks in advance
Ad

Follow the signs - you won't have a lot of choice in your route anyway.

To make it to the car park or to make it in to the showground? The former - half 7. The latter, earlier!

It's 5 miles - have you considered walking (not a joke)? It certainly might save time after the show if not in the morning.

I echo this; due to the traffic management system, you basically won't have a choice of choosing which route, it will already be laid out for you.

A 5 mile walk on a lovely summer's evening isn't a bad idea actually.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

If you're staying in Lechlade you're on the Red route; as others have said, you won't have a choice in the matter.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

There's a great path from Lechlade to the base through the fields and woods underneath the flight path. Perfect for walking or cycling.

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Or you could canoe down the river until you are close to the base then park-up and walk. Just the odd swan to navigate past!

Homer

Post by Homer »

Similar question but I'm staying a bit further North at Stow-on-the-wold so could drop down to the green route which I am familiar with or the red.

Is one route "better" for getting in or out, or should I just decide which end I want to arrive and depart from?

I usually park at the green end, watch the display from the green end then get dirty looks from the staff when I try to visit the static after the flying has finished. So I am tempted to park at the red end and walk through.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Homer wrote:Similar question but I'm staying a bit further North at Stow-on-the-wold so could drop down to the green route which I am familiar with or the red.

Is one route "better" for getting in or out, or should I just decide which end I want to arrive and depart from?

I usually park at the green end, watch the display from the green end then get dirty looks from the staff when I try to visit the static after the flying has finished. So I am tempted to park at the red end and walk through.

I stayed in a Hotel on the 'moors' between Stow and Burford for several years until the owner/chef died and I started basing myself in Witney instead. From Stow, I would take the road towards Burford and join the Red route... but if you know the Green route better, then go with what you know. :up:

Enjoy the show :smile:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

In the abscence of Jon Pertwee turning up on my door in the Tardis (thats one of the older kids ) , I am planning to come down from Worcs down the M5 ,. gettign off at junction 11 a then straight down the A417. There was a bit of a queue round the balloon island, then much bigger queue when coming off the a417 dual carriageway.
Is that still the best direct route , after leaving the m5 ?
I think it took me about 1 hr 40 last year , but honestly cant remember

I will probably drive back through the cotswolds, but just want an easier route in the morning.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Mr Benn wrote:In the abscence of Jon Pertwee turning up on my door in the Tardis (thats one of the older kids ) , I am planning to come down from Worcs down the M5 ,. gettign off at junction 11 a then straight down the A417. There was a bit of a queue round the balloon island, then much bigger queue when coming off the a417 dual carriageway.

I will probably drive back through the cotswolds, but just want an easier route in the morning.

Logically you should be on Green then, although if you stay on the A417 instead of coming off at the Burford Rd interchange (where the Travelodge is), you might be able to sneak onto the Blue route which means you enter the base near the middle of the showground, and which some people prefer for that reason.

Whether they'll let you, of course, is another matter entirely and it could also significantly lengthen your journey at the end of the day.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Thanks Sky. I presume you say longer as it will be busier ?
Last year i parked on Green and it was only about a 10 min walk to the entrance, but of course the Green section was open on that Friday. You have got me thinking now, as being close to the car is good, wether to go that way.
If we park in green anyway , will we be better getting one of the internal buses up to the sections that are open ?

Homer

Post by Homer »

Skyflash wrote:Logically you should be on Green then, although if you stay on the A417 instead of coming off at the Burford Rd interchange (where the Travelodge is), you might be able to sneak onto the Blue route which means you enter the base near the middle of the showground, and which some people prefer for that reason.

Whether they'll let you, of course, is another matter entirely and it could also significantly lengthen your journey at the end of the day.

One year coming in on the green route we were diverted that way and then back to the green route. They seem to do some dynamic management between the green/blue/brown.

Mr Benn wrote:There was a bit of a queue round the balloon island,

We stayed in Birdlip one year and thereby found a way of *ahem* avoiding the Air Balloon roundabout. It's a gamble though, if there is no queue there then you will lose out. Best to have a navigator keep an eye on the traffic on Google maps or similar.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Mr Benn wrote:Thanks Sky. I presume you say longer as it will be busier ?
Last year i parked on Green and it was only about a 10 min walk to the entrance, but of course the Green section was open on that Friday. You have got me thinking now, as being close to the car is good, wether to go that way.
If we park in green anyway , will we be better getting one of the internal buses up to the sections that are open ?

In terms of the showground buses, they’re free, handy and good fun if you get an open-top one and it’s a nice day. They’re not strictly necessary for getting around, especially if you are in decent physical shape and don’t mind a bit of walking.

My comment about your journey home taking longer if you end up in Blue is more to do with the fact that you’ll be further from the route heading north back to Worcester. Bear in mind also the one-way system which operates on show days, you might for example (worst case scenario) find yourself forced to turn left off Blue onto the dual carriageway to Swindon which will leave you with a hefty detour just to get back onto the road north. It’s been a while since I used Blue myself, can’t actually remember exactly how it works.

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

I use the A429, then the A424 from Stow, the A361 from Burford and and the A417 thereafter - a well-known route from the South Midlands area, although other options exist. There is a handy short Alternative Route in Lechlade itself - especially useful on the weekend show days (both entering and leaving).

I often return home on the Red route itself but take Horcott Road over the top of the base, into Fairford village, then a left turn onto the A417 again and travel towards Ampney Crucis via Poulton and pick up the A429 Fosseway northbound after using the 'Cherrytree Lane' link (the traffic lights at that junction are a pain though). I do this to avoid Lechlade & Burford which can be very busy in the later afternoons on weekdays. On Sat & Sun it will be busy where-ever you go I'm afraid.

jonspurs

Post by jonspurs »

Hey all,
Been reading and checking the website...but what really is better from London? Driving to Fairford or getting a train to Swindon + shuttle bus?
I've heard the buses have their own route and skip queues of car traffic? How bad is the traffic, eg 30 minutes waiting?

Cheers for your advice!
Jon

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

jonspurs wrote:Hey all,
Been reading and checking the website...but what really is better from London? Driving to Fairford or getting a train to Swindon + shuttle bus?
I've heard the buses have their own route and skip queues of car traffic? How bad is the traffic, eg 30 minutes waiting?

Cheers for your advice!
Jon

There are loads of variables which would influence the answer to that question. For example: do you prefer to have the car with you so that you can take more stuff onto the showground? How early do you want to set-off, and/or arrive? If you leave London at 4am you'll be one of the first into the car-parks, though understandably you might not be keen on that approach...

If you are not desperately worried about being right at the front of the crowdline, and only need a moderate amount of stuff with you throughout the day, then the shuttle bus from Swindon is probably a good option, not least because it will be much less stressful. But like I say the answer to your question will be largely determined by your own parameters.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

I used the shuttle buses for a few years but after one horrendous journey back to Swindon when we got caught up with all the other traffic, in uncomfortable conditions on board, I reverted back to driving and wouldn’t go back. Traffic management seems good these days, and ultimately it’s more convenient and much cheaper for us all to go in the car.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Mr Benn wrote:In the abscence of Jon Pertwee turning up on my door in the Tardis (thats one of the older kids ) , I am planning to come down from Worcs down the M5 ,. gettign off at junction 11 a then straight down the A417. There was a bit of a queue round the balloon island, then much bigger queue when coming off the a417 dual carriageway.

I live in Redditch, and always route Evesham/Stow/Cirencester joining the Green route, usually 70 minutes brings me to the back of the (moving) queue within sight of the airfield. I tend to leave home around 6.15 to 6.30. Being in FRIAT I park in Blue on Friday - I believe the Green parking is only accessible via buses on Friday again this year? - I park in Green Sat/Sun as I can get out along the exact roads I want, I accept the compromise that it gives me quite a walk to my seat. I never use the M5 or A417, they are Ok unless there is a problem in which case they can be a nightmare :biggrin:

jonspurs

Post by jonspurs »

Thanks all for your replies.

Yep you're right, too many variables.

I just want to be there in time for the 1st air display until the last, and would prefer less hassle, which would be train.

But then I imagine there'll be queues for buses and those getting caught in traffic too.

So will probably drive down. Going to leave at 6am, aim to arrive for 8am...maybe a McDonalds breakfast en route :-)

Cheers again!

Jon