Exiting car parks blue or green?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
play it cool

Exiting car parks blue or green?

Post by play it cool »

Getting out of the blue car park sounds a nightmare - was green any better? Not sure which route to take tomorrow, any (constructive ( :clown: )) advice welcome please!

Luke28

Re: Exiting car parks blue or green?

Post by Luke28 »

Green was horrendous today (1st time in 4 years of using it that we haven't got straight off) I think more people than usual stayed till the end. The normal mass exodus after Reds didn't seem to happen this year which usually helps massively.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Thanks Luke, not going to be any better tomorrow with the Mig 21, Reds and Harriers seemingly the last 3 displays...

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

play it cool wrote:Thanks Luke, not going to be any better tomorrow with the Mig 21, Reds and Harriers seemingly the last 3 displays...

If I have learnt anything from years of attending Yeovilton it’s that you better bring a book for the long wait to leave the car park.

Fairford has always been better organised but still when you have tens of thousands of people trying to leave at the same time it’s never going to be easy.
Last edited by Andyperkins on Sat 20 Jul 2019, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Thanks Andy, yes more than aware of that, and also of the fact that different people in the same car park can have wildly different waiting times, but just wanted to know people’s thoughts of today’s exit.

BuffaloG

Post by BuffaloG »

Luke28 wrote:Green was horrendous today (1st time in 4 years of using it that we haven't got straight off) I think more people than usual stayed till the end. The normal mass exodus after Reds didn't seem to happen this year which usually helps massively.

I think the sunny but not especially hot weather contributed. Normally people start leaving in bigger numbers by mid afternoon after feeling the hear

Homer

Post by Homer »

play it cool wrote:Thanks Andy, yes more than aware of that, and also of the fact that different people in the same car park can have wildly different waiting times, but just wanted to know people’s thoughts of today’s exit.

If you were at the far end of red then I know there were people queuing there before I got to my car who had been at a standstill for 30 minutes or more. After sitting there 20 minutes I though the only explanation could be that the queue was actually following a parked car and bypassed it. It still took me an hour to get off base, some could have been there more like two hours.

Useful to hear other carparks had similar issues so it won't put me off using red again.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Was extremely easy getting out of the green car park yesterday, granted I didn't get back to the car until about 6:30 but by then it was almost empty so drove straight out and was back at Bath by 8pm

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Homer wrote:
play it cool wrote:Thanks Andy, yes more than aware of that, and also of the fact that different people in the same car park can have wildly different waiting times, but just wanted to know people’s thoughts of today’s exit.

If you were at the far end of red then I know there were people queuing there before I got to my car who had been at a standstill for 30 minutes or more. After sitting there 20 minutes I though the only explanation could be that the queue was actually following a parked car and bypassed it. It still took me an hour to get off base, some could have been there more like two hours.

Useful to hear other carparks had similar issues so it won't put me off using red again.

Ultimately, I think there are many variables that could ultimately seal your fate. Which car park you end up in, where you’re parked in the car park etc. Last weekend at Yeovilton I drove straight out whilst others had a nightmare at the same time.

Yesterday, the flying finished quite early (about 17:00?) and we hung around for an hour looking at the statics, then a coffee before leaving Blue at about 18:15 without any problems.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

saturday was "Kris Kris Tofferson!" in all car parks. and it wasn't the road network because once you got off base it was pretty easy to leave the area.

the issue i saw was no attendance and no interest from any staff in the car park which led to people just forcing out wherever they could and it became chaos. surely they should have considered that the sold out day would be the busiest and had staff ready for it?

there was much more of a presence on sunday and the traffic moved much better.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

On Sunday morning we approached the Blue car parks from Kempsford, but there was no marshal to steer us into the appropriate car park, culminating in a whole line of traffic coming to a dead end and doubling back on itself on a single track road. Eventually the marshal turned up, bacon butty in hand, to try and rectify the chaos he caused. :clown: