Flickr - 1000+ photos = subscription: 10 months on.

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Draken

Re: Flickr - 1000+ photos = subscription: 10 months on.

Post by Draken »

Georgeconna wrote:
Draken wrote:
A Screener, in my own opinion and experience knows nothing about the real world of photography.

Well, thanks for that ;) (JP screener for 6y).

Nobody forces anyone to upload pics to specific sites with guidelines and rules. If you don't want to follow them, just don't use the site. As simple as that. All the hate and complaining is just wrong.
Cheers!

Wheres the Hate?, Christ you're a bit Sensitive aren't you. The chaps has just voiced his opinion dude.

Hate might be too strong word, I agree, however I also voiced my opinion.
As I said - you don't have to follow any screened sites - just do your stuff.

not live in fear of displeasing screeners, who are themselves victims of the system.

Wow, someone has some serious issues here...

harkins

Post by harkins »

Whilst I knew what a screener was, I must confess, I don't have any idea what the typical rules/standards are for putting photos on sites that I assume include Airliners.net.

Could anyone give me a flavour of what would get a photo accepted or rejected?

Draken

Post by Draken »

General guidelines of screened sites like Jetphotos, Airliners etc say that object should be sharp, centered, with leveled horizon, good contrast and proper light (nightshots are included).
Please note that each site has it's own guidelines and regulations.

harkins

Post by harkins »

That doesn't exactly sound problematic. That's pretty much what everyone tries to do with any photo they take isn't it? Why would anyone submit a photo that isn't in focus or level anyway? I was imagining things being rejected more due to white balance, over-sharpening or some other post processing related things that are perhaps more subjective.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

"Draken" elected to ignore all the various things like that. I've had rejections for "sky too sharp" in the past, as well as "grass covering lower part of wheel".

Draken

Post by Draken »

I mentioned only few aspects (not ignored other), if you want to know about all of them - just go to screened site and check the guidelines.

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Submit your best photo, if it gets rejected there´s often the reason for the rejection. Then you have a rough idea of what will be acceptable to that Website. Be careful of Jetphotos, since the photos are being used by FR24 then they expect a little more. The plus side is that you can ask for a pre-screen before you submit a photo. That tells you what they want to expect from your photo. Who knows, perhaps "Draken" will screen you........

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

harkins wrote:That doesn't exactly sound problematic. That's pretty much what everyone tries to do with any photo they take isn't it? Why would anyone submit a photo that isn't in focus or level anyway? I was imagining things being rejected more due to white balance, over-sharpening or some other post processing related things that are perhaps more subjective.

Not everyone for every photo, no. Depends on the intended use and audience. Before getting into stuff like 'level relative to what?'

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

Draken wrote:General guidelines of screened sites like Jetphotos, Airliners etc say that object should be sharp, centered, with leveled horizon, good contrast and proper light (nightshots are included).
Please note that each site has it's own guidelines and regulations.

I've never figured out why these sites have an obsession with aircraft being 'centered'; firstly, all the photos end up looking the same; secondly, if it is a 'ground/runway shot', then very often positioning the aircraft in a more traditional '1/3' creates a far more interesting view - personally speaking!

I've only submitted a handful of photos to one of the above sites, and had them rejected several times.... for what I would consider 'petty' issues*, including after 'reworking' one of them and resubmitting again..... the only reason I had bothered was to 'fill a hole' in their photo database of a very large, quirky aircraft which they had (and still have) no shots of it in flight..... but given the hoops they wanted me to jump through, then I'll keep the photos on my own Flickr site, and they end up missing out on unusual aircraft, and leave them to their stream of more Easyjet A320s in the same position as the previous one that JoeBloggs, et al, have submitted!

*From memory, on one of them I couldn't even figure out what they were complaining about!!!

Back to 'Flickr' hosting..... it works out at £1/week, and provides a very convenient platform for photo-sharing for me, and encourages me to sort out the photos I have taken (and delete all the rubbish ones); I only upload lo-res images to Flickr, and back the high-res ones to numerous external hard-drives. Family photos are also backed up to a cloud-drive, and on a photo-printing site, both of which I can download them from.

Cheers,
Alisdair

Draken

Post by Draken »

Well... taking JetPhotos as an example - almost 20 000 photographers and over 4 million pictures in database - so someone has few pics accepted, right? The guidelines are specific to JP. If you want to contribute - follow them, ask questions on forum if needed, share your pics. If you don't like the way JP works - why bother complaining?
Flickr offers all we need in terms of sharing and storing photos.
Maybe it's a good time to close JP motive in this topic. If someone feels the need to discuss it further - separate topic would be more useful not to distract current discussion on Flickr.

wallace

Post by wallace »

The other useful benefit of Flickr is it is to some extent searchable, registration, key word etc. Again, there is no point in posting a picture if it can't be found.
As an aside I've started on the final stages of the Oshkosh pictures, which involves searching around on the databases to tie registrations up and it's not very easy to narrow down a search on the aviation photo databases, a Google search and Flickr are my easiest options.

I have a Smugmug site, which I use for special jobs, sharing personal albums. That comes at a price, I forget (or don't want to remember) how much.
The main problem with a personal web site is it becomes a portfolio site, which needs constant maintenance to keep the photo count down to a minimum and only post the highest quality images, and I'm not very good at either! Flickr on the other hand is a repository.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Has anyone noticed a decrease in image quality on Flickr recently?

I have always used Flickr because I found the quality better after upload than other sites, but I'm no longer finding this. Is it all in my head?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

G-CVIX wrote:Has anyone noticed a decrease in image quality on Flickr recently?

I have always used Flickr because I found the quality better after upload than other sites, but I'm no longer finding this. Is it all in my head?

not on flickr itself, but images that i link to other sites do have a reduced quality

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

I’ve not really noticed a drop in quality - I have however noticed a massive drop in terms of the number of views that images get, post 1000 photo limit implementation and the other changes...

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Talldan76 wrote:I’ve not really noticed a drop in quality - I have however noticed a massive drop in terms of the number of views that images get, post 1000 photo limit implementation and the other changes...

I can't say I've noticed a drop in quality for images linked across to here. I find it frustrating that there is a very marked drop if you view on flickr but aren't logged on to the site. Which makes it rather difficult to share a link with someone who isn't a member.

As for the drop in views - definitely. I thought that was just me :grin:

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Talldan76 wrote:I’ve not really noticed a drop in quality - I have however noticed a massive drop in terms of the number of views that images get, post 1000 photo limit implementation and the other changes...

That doesn't really surprise me, out of a group of 20 odd people I talk to in the local parks only one is still active on flickr, most just share on our FB groups.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Mooshie1956 wrote:

That doesn't really surprise me, out of a group of 20 odd people I talk to in the local parks only one is still active on flickr, most just share on our FB groups.

i think they scared off a lot of users with their sudden introduction of a fee. its definitely not as busy as it used to be. i wouldn't use it if it wasn't for the fact i already have so much stuff embedded away from it

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

wallace wrote:Flickr on the other hand is a repository.

rockfordstone wrote:i wouldn't use it if it wasn't for the fact i already have so much stuff embedded away from it

One of the main reasons the new owners gave to justify the free usage cap and pushing the subscription model was that they wanted to build more of a community around Flickr and to discourage those who use it merely as a high quality free repository. But that seems to be at odds with the reality of how many people such as myself have used Flickr over the years., which is to link to a Flickr hosted picture as part of a forum post elsewhere. There ARE enthusiast communities but they are based in places away from Flickr such as this very forum and I don't see us all moving across to Flickr however much they want it to be.

What seems to have happened is that those who are heavily invested in Flickr have coughed up for Pro whilst casual users have stagnated their uploads and drifted away to other platforms such as Facebook groups which are more convenient for sharing. So the contributions either start to stagnate or decline over time as people realise that their subscriptions do not translate into the much promised new features. Yes, the image quality on Facebook can be appalling at times but quite often it is good enough for most people when accessing through their preferred device (smart phone).

I've switched my money and focus to my Zenfolio portfolio site because the platform offers me several key features above Flickr (using my own domain, slick mobile interface, password protected client galleries, custom friendly urls). I'll be the first to admit that I'm not particularly interested in Flickr communities because the community I'm looking for is already here in UKAR!

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

elterwater wrote:
wallace wrote:Flickr on the other hand is a repository.

rockfordstone wrote:i wouldn't use it if it wasn't for the fact i already have so much stuff embedded away from it

One of the main reasons the new owners gave to justify the free usage cap and pushing the subscription model was that they wanted to build more of a community around Flickr and to discourage those who use it merely as a high quality free repository. But that seems to be at odds with the reality of how many people such as myself have used Flickr over the years., which is to link to a Flickr hosted picture as part of a forum post elsewhere. There ARE enthusiast communities but they are based in places away from Flickr such as this very forum and I don't see us all moving across to Flickr however much they want it to be.

What seems to have happened is that those who are heavily invested in Flickr have coughed up for Pro whilst casual users have stagnated their uploads and drifted away to other platforms such as Facebook groups which are more convenient for sharing. So the contributions either start to stagnate or decline over time as people realise that their subscriptions do not translate into the much promised new features. Yes, the image quality on Facebook can be appalling at times but quite often it is good enough for most people when accessing through their preferred device (smart phone).

I've switched my money and focus to my Zenfolio portfolio site because the platform offers me several key features above Flickr (using my own domain, slick mobile interface, password protected client galleries, custom friendly urls). I'll be the first to admit that I'm not particularly interested in Flickr communities because the community I'm looking for is already here in UKAR!

Whilst I can understand flickr curtailing the virtually 'all you can eat' free offering, the problem for me was they also squeezed hard on Pro users at the same time. There was a double-whammy of the grandfathered subscription rate going plus Smugmug also started charging local VAT which the previous lot never did (or they absorbed it). I was a Pro user for something like 13 years but ditched it this year as my annual subscription had basically doubled. I still maintain a free account but wiped all my previous content (curating down from 20,000 images to 1,000 was just too time-consuming and at a time when the site was flaky as hell), sadly including stuff i'd linked up on here down the years. I've now moved everything onto Google Photos, which obviously loses you the public exposure but works out way cheaper and I can still share stuff with friends.