RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by Brevet Cable »

jason82wells wrote:This new enclosure is also in green which means the *really* quiet part of the crowd line.

It used to be packed down that end too.

It'll have no negative impact whatsoever on the typical people who like to go to the rope in red and blue. If anything it may take a few families away from that area.

You mean the lemmings who automatically rush for any open space they can find anywhere near crowdline-centre thinking it's the only place they'll be able to see the aircraft from....and if it does actually result in the crowd spreading out more, so much the better ( or do you mean 'take people away from 'green', because your wording is vague .... in which case you'll likely find they'll just move further along the 'green' area )

I feel sorry for whoever ends up in the enclosure though as they'll see very little of the take offs and landing being that far away.

You've not been down that end, I take it.....

Another money making ploy for DBH but then if folk are daft enough to pay it then they're going to collect it.

On that we can agree.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

harkins wrote:Given the cost of entry plus those enclosure prices for say two parents and two or three kids, it is a middle class fantasy enclosure. “Look at those aeroplanes Tarquin, but don’t spill your foie gras”.

That's the first time I've ever been called middle class. :lol:
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

harkins

Post by harkins »

sithrity wrote:That's the first time I've ever been called middle class. :lol:

Who called you middle class? Certainly nothing in my post that said "sithrity is middle class". Someone else stated that the new family enclosure is better than the middle class enclosures and I in effect responded that the cost of the family enclosure actually makes it only affordable to the middle classes. But I didn't exactly mean it literally of course.

It is just an opinion, and a subjective one that the family enclosure is not exactly a cheap day out; 2 adult entry tickets, plus the family enclosure upgrades with three nippers totals £265. Chuck in your petrol and food for the day and it's good chunk of cash for a single day out - and especially one that is so beholden to the weather. Imagine spending nearly 4 ton to take the kids there on Friday this year. So I stand by my sentiment that it is priced to keep the riffraff out.

But hey, if it pays for the Swedish Historic Flight Viggen and Draken to attend then ultimately I don't care whether it's filled with street urchins or the Royal Family.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Was wondering how you got that total, so I just looked at the ticket prices.....
£23 for any children over 2YO -- for what's being touted as a 'family enclosure' that's taking the piss in the extreme !! :dizzy:
Hell, it's not as if they're getting anything special for that sort of money.

Profiteering at it's worst.
아직도 숨어있다

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

£23 for an over 2 year old....... for shame RIAT, for shame!

Are you not learning anything from us, your paying public (died in the wool enthusiast, or Sunday afternoon day out).
I hope to god this is one of their usual P.R. goofs, and i'd hate to think our output / inquest / suggestions etc are simply filed under "Z" as RIAT think they know best and nothing we will ever say will make a difference.

This price structure for a 2 1/2 year old and above is a pee take if true, and i dont think it will take he papers long onto this story.
a family with 4 kids is paying nearly a ton before they pay for the adults, etc.

Please RIAT, from your lofty untouchable perch, tell your paying public that this is a mistake, and if it is, put it right and apologise. (like thats ever going to happen).

However, i do get the feeling that we are all being taken for a ride these last 2 years. (friday prices etc)
Got to love Russianhardware

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Its all okay though, its for charity.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Brevet Cable wrote:Was wondering how you got that total, so I just looked at the ticket prices.....

Sorry, I should perhaps have put my workings out. So for Saturday I got £59 each for the two parents, free entry for three children and then upgrades of £39 per adult and £23 for each of the three kiddies. And as also mentioned, apart from a tank of fuel to get there and back, it features paid catering, so there's potentially a fair few quid more to find. Fancy a souvenir programme too? Might be cheaper to take them to Disney land.

I wonder when they'll announce the new dedicated OAP enclosure or LGBTQIA pavilion? There are so many more enclosure revenue sources that remain untapped.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Looking at the other enclosures...
The VV - ticket needed for kids over 5YO if they occupy a seat ( free if they don't )
Pimms - ticket needed for kids over 5YO, free for under-5s unless they occupy a seat or want included meal.
Cotswold - ticket needed for kids over 5YO, no under-5s allowed.

Difference being that with Pimms & Cotswold you get a meal ( and I presume still get free tea/coffee in Cotswold ? ) and none of them market themselves as being specifically aimed at families.

harkins wrote:Sorry, I should perhaps have put my workings out.

No worries.... :up:
Makes you think, though, they make such a big thing of 'Under 18s get in free' and then sting you if you then want to go in one of the enclosures.

I wonder when they'll announce the new dedicated OAP enclosure or LGBTQIA pavilion? There are so many more enclosure revenue sources that remain untapped.

Shhhh.....don't give them ideas! :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

According to the Air Tattoo tickets page a further new 'public' enclosure will be launched later this year too.

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

I'm not intending to be a happy clapper/RIAT fanboy or whatever they get called on here. I agree that all the enclosures are a tad pricey! I'd love things to be cheaper, but as someone who takes the family to RIAT, this family enclosure is a day out for the kids, inside a day out for me.
We normally do the viewing village, for the convenience of close toilets/food and a seat. For me, the Mrs and two kids the family enclosure is an extra £4 with extra activities to keep the kids entertained when they need a break.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

clearstone wrote:According to the Air Tattoo tickets page a further new 'public' enclosure will be launched later this year too.

Ah yes, that will be the premium public enclosure for people who want to go into an enclosure that is not already an enclosure but does not have the feeling of an enclosure and is fact the same space as they went into in previous years. You get nothing extra over any other space in the showground other than the privilege of paying more than twice the entry price and a free sticker.

I really do feel sorry for the paying public at RIAT outside of FRIAT who just seemed to be getting milked more and more for less and less each year. :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq »

capercaillie wrote:I really do feel sorry for the paying public at RIAT outside of FRIAT who just seemed to be getting milked more and more for less and less each year. :dunno:

Are they being milked? Surely everyone going to RIAT chooses to and, therefore, finds the paying of whichever ticket they happen to fork out for as agreeable or else they wouldn't do it? I know I don't feel milked, yes the price going up at any time irks me, as it does if my favourite pizza price increases but I don't stop eating the pizza as it is the best I can currently get....same applies.
And how stagnant has the FRIAT price been all these years? You obviously don't feel milked for the increases that has seen for the less and less that you are also getting (as you are at the same show as those outside of FRIAT).
Just a thought
Cheers
Mark

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

capercaillie wrote:I really do feel sorry for the paying public at RIAT outside of FRIAT who just seemed to be getting milked more and more for less and less each year. :dunno:

Just one of the reasons that I don't go there any more.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

bizfreeq wrote:

Are they being milked? Surely everyone going to RIAT chooses to and, therefore, finds the paying of whichever ticket they happen to fork out for as agreeable or else they wouldn't do it? I know I don't feel milked, yes the price going up at any time irks me, as it does if my favourite pizza price increases but I don't stop eating the pizza as it is the best I can currently get....same applies.
And how stagnant has the FRIAT price been all these years? You obviously don't feel milked for the increases that has seen for the less and less that you are also getting (as you are at the same show as those outside of FRIAT).
Just a thought
Cheers
Mark

The members of FRIAT know what they are getting into and yes inflation outstripped price increases by a massive amount over the years I've been in FRIAT, 29 years at the next show. However with military show choice now peeled back to RIAT plus two shows where the sun is in your face all day, for picture and content purposes I feel my money is better invested in RIAT. The FRIAT set up has changed little in those 29 years or indeed since the show moved to Fairford.

The increase in enclosures on the crowdline for the rest of the people going to the show does have a significant bearing on their day. Why do they need an enclosure down the western end? There is plenty of room there as it is and families can have an easy day out already without being ripped off more after paying their initial not insignificant entry price. Totally unnecessary greedy money grabbing. Yes the folks have a choice to purchase or not but the marketing will fool some of them out of their hard earned and then discover on the day, we didn't really need that.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

capercaillie wrote:Why do they need an enclosure down the western end? There is plenty of room there as it is

I'd say you've just inadvertently answered your own question.
It's not a case of needing one or more down that end ( because I have a cynical feeling that the as-yet unannounced other new enclosure will be down that end too ) it's because some marketing tool has seen/heard how sparsely-populated the 'green' end is and has decided that some new enclosures would be just the job for encouraging more punters to go down that end. :whistle:
아직도 숨어있다

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Brevet Cable wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Why do they need an enclosure down the western end? There is plenty of room there as it is

I'd say you've just inadvertently answered your own question.
It's not a case of needing one or more down that end ( because I have a cynical feeling that the as-yet unannounced other new enclosure will be down that end too ) it's because some marketing tool has seen/heard how sparsely-populated the 'green' end is and has decided that some new enclosures would be just the job for encouraging more punters to go down that end. :whistle:

That is exactly what this is about.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Glad it's not just me, then. :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

At what point does health and safety come into this with everyone outside of enclosures trying to squeeze in the only viewing areas?

The last couple of years I've seen it with hardly any room to move and just wondering at what point does it become too much?
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Personally, I've never been that far along Green on the crowd line - Viewing Village is about as far west as I've been in the past prior to taking up residence in the FRIAT Palace. Happy to be corrected, but what do you actually see that far west on a show day unless they are using Runway 09 for launch and recovery?

Example this - Friday of this year's show was wet... The Spanish Navy Harrier was reduced to a single aircraft display. It was virtually full zoom on a 400mm lens to get 'THAT' landing shot from the FRIAT stand, and if I remember correctly, most of it's hovering was either at FRIAT or towards eastern end.

What would you see of the Apache wall of fire from that far west? How much time do the smaller display teams spend at the western end? The cynic in me suggests that the western end (Green) is sparsely populated for a reason - and it isn't because people can't be bothered to walk there.

Personally, I struggle to see the value of an enclosure 'way over there.' It seems to be the airshow equivalent of 'restricted view' at a football stadium' and might have a slide and a queue for some swings if you have small children with you. Why would you pay an additional premium for that?

I'm a RIAT fan boy... love the occasion. But I raise my eyebrows at this. For that premium, I would expect someone to look after my child for an hour or two so I could sod off and look round the static. Maybe there's more to this announcement to come yet. But if you want a 'restricted view' of some display acts, Totterdown might represent better value. Just saying. :up:

Anyway, glad I am fortunate enough to afford FRIAT.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

rdchawk wrote:The last couple of years I've seen it with hardly any room to move and just wondering at what point does it become too much?

There's plenty of room, unless you're one of the lemmings who think the only place to spectate is at the front of crowdline-centre :whistle:
아직도 숨어있다

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Brevet Cable wrote:
rdchawk wrote:The last couple of years I've seen it with hardly any room to move and just wondering at what point does it become too much?

There's plenty of room, unless you're one of the lemmings who think the only place to spectate is at the front of crowdline-centre :whistle:

Despite always having a FRIAT pass, part of my RIAT m-o in recent years has been to spend at least part of one day at the crowdline up in Green, just because I quite like both the more relaxed feel and the fact that you're getting different photographic angles on the aircraft... anything which is taking off to depart as opposed to display, for example, is likely to be slightly more photogenic from up the west end (assuming the 'normal' runway is in use). I'm more than a bit miffed at the idea of some bloody great enclosure restricting the space at what is one of the better, quieter and more overlooked corners of the airfield.

2019 was a super event badly let down by weird communications failures and avoidable mistakes in the run-up. I was hoping that 2020 would at least get off to a positive start on that front, but everything I have heard and read thus far has just been a bit, dare I say it, meh... :roll:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Good assessment Skyflash... Thanks for the heads up on what one can actually see 'down that end...' :up:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I'm also with Skyflash (probably without realising it, literally). I'm always a FRIAT member but normally spend some time down in green. I deliberately positioned myself down there for the aborted F-16 display this year in the hopes that the dedication pass would be overhead.

Oftentimes aircraft slightly cut the corner leading to some really exciting moments. Take offs are often great from there and virtually all fast jets continue the full length of the runway with most manoeuvres, so it really is a decent place to watch. Not as good as the FRIAT stand, but very good nonetheless, and very sparsely populated.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Just bought tickets for riat for arrivals and Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I am looking forward to seeing the build up for next year's show.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Lemmings.... :whistle:
아직도 숨어있다