Upgrading to Canon 5D Mk IV ?

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Airwolfhound

Upgrading to Canon 5D Mk IV ?

Post by Airwolfhound »

I've been using the Canon 7D Mk 2 now since it's release day but am considering upgrading to a Canon 5D4.

I am aware that it has a full-frame sensor rather than the crop APS Sensor that the 7D2 has. Also aware of the very many more megapixels on the 5d4 than the 7d2.

Are there any users of the 5d4 here, and what are your thoughts on the body ? I only have the one lens (Sigma 60-600mm) and that is giving me some decent results with the 7d2. But, I do have the available budget for an upgrade and so was thinking along the lines of the 5D4.

I don't wish to go to Nikon or any other brand, wish to stick with Canon mostly because of sharing kit with my wife who is also a Canon user.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with the 5d4 ? I would only really be using it for aviation and wildlife photography.

Cheers :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Rich.B

Re: Upgrading to Canon 5D Mk IV ?

Post by Rich.B »

Canon have just released the 90D.
More pixels and still got the crop sensor if they are your main reasons.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

PM sent.

Andy

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

I've been looking at the reviews of the Canon 90D and to be fair it isn't getting any rave reviews in terms of what I would be using it for (mainly wildlife and aviation). The reviews are consistent in that AF is very good in live-view, but not so good through the viewfinder, and I never shoot with live-view unless videoing.

I think the 5DIV seems to be the better option so far, but still open to what is available through Canon.

Cheers :-)

Thanks for the PM Andy :-)

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

I've had the 5DMk IV for a coule of years now & it's an exceptional body, superb focusing far superior to the 7D MkII which I've got also, 7 frames a second which I find perfect for aviation, lovely reproduction of colours. All in all a fantastic camera.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Cheers Stuart, always a fan of your photography on here, the detail in the shots are stunning. Thanks for your input, much appreciated :-)

harkins

Post by harkins »

I'm no authority on cameras or photography but, as the 5D IV is double the price of the 7D II and you have the funds, then it's an absolute no brainer. I'd swap my 7D II for a 5D IV without a second thought if I had the money. It absolutely hands down beats the 7. The only thing the 7 has over it is being £1500 cheaper. I could buy a car with the difference!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I'm thinking of making the same switch, the higher ISO performance of the 5D4 should enable you to use faster shutter speeds for less loss in image quality due to noise.

jingernut

Post by jingernut »

harkins wrote:I'm no authority on cameras or photography but, as the 5D IV is double the price of the 7D II and you have the funds, then it's an absolute no brainer.

Exactly. Surely when you are spending that much on kit it's going to be up to the job whatever. You just need to be sure you know how to use it!

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

jingernut wrote:
harkins wrote:I'm no authority on cameras or photography but, as the 5D IV is double the price of the 7D II and you have the funds, then it's an absolute no brainer.

Exactly. Surely when you are spending that much on kit it's going to be up to the job whatever. You just need to be sure you know how to use it!

To be fair I don't subscribe to that idea. Just because a piece of kit is twice more expensive doesn't mean to say it is better or suits the needs of the end-user.

The 7D2 is good, but I was interested to hear the views of 5D4 users and to hear of any comparisons with the 7D2.

I haven't yet made up my mind, and will probably wait for Black Friday deals to see if the 5D4 comes down in price at all before making a firm decision.

Cheers for all the replies :-)

hedgerowops1

Post by hedgerowops1 »

You can get the 5Dmk4 from Panamoz for £1680 which is a good company I've bought a few thing's from them with no problems.
Chris

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

hedgerowops1 wrote:You can get the 5Dmk4 from Panamoz for £1680 which is a good company I've bought a few thing's from them with no problems.
Chris

Good to know, cheers :-) Slightly concerned it would be a grey import, but the three year warranty sounds tempting.