Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Post Reply
Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Finningley Boy »

Tommy wrote:
Southendnick wrote:Who voted against

....


Not a clue, but whomever it is is probably an idiot. Some of those laws are pretty decent pieces of legislation. Some aren’t/weren’t (and a decent chunk of it enacted during a Labour government :whistle: )

But i’ll bet you haven’t got a clue what they actually say or do beyond the bleurb. So my question is; which Facebook group are you getting all this from?

And how is it that you (they) can name all those pieces of legislation to make a point, but can’t name a single bad EU law forced upon this country and say how it affects or has affected your life? Because I’m quite sure if you(they) had found some, you’d be preaching it as loud as you could (and they do exist).


Tommy, I wish you'd take matters more seriously instead of being so damn flippant all the time! :wink:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

User avatar
Brevet Cable
Posts: 13190
Joined: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 3085
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:17 am

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Spiny Norman »



Senior politicians being accused of lying used to be a big story. Now after Brexit and Trump they can survive without resigning it seems.

Of course, at an election, the electorate can choose to throw them out of power.

User avatar
AlexC
Posts: 6040
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:40 pm
Location: New Forest

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by AlexC »

Spiny Norman wrote:Of course, at an election, the electorate can choose to throw them out of power.


Very true, but if we throw the present lot out in December we get Corbin as PM! :shock:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by rockfordstone »

AlexC wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:Of course, at an election, the electorate can choose to throw them out of power.


Very true, but if we throw the present lot out in December we get Corbin as PM! :shock:

but then we can vote him out again at the next one.

User avatar
iainpeden
Posts: 2638
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm
Location: Great Oakley, Corby, Northants

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by iainpeden »

Thank God our police are not routinely armed or somebody would be selling a yellow mini, slightly holed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-50544243
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff
Posts: 5560
Joined: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Tommy »

[tweet]http://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1216056468023189504[/tweet]

:dunno:

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by rockfordstone »

Tommy wrote:[tweet]http://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1216056468023189504[/tweet]

:dunno:

omg remoaner give it a rest with your fake news project fear traitor.
they won get over it......

but yeah. bonkers, isn't it?

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Finningley Boy »

rockfordstone wrote:
Tommy wrote:[tweet]http://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1216056468023189504[/tweet]

:dunno:

omg remoaner give it a rest with your fake news project fear traitor.
they won get over it......

but yeah. bonkers, isn't it?


If this is true we certainly have an awful lot of surplus. Has this massive loss of revenue affected you adversely so far? What about Greece, Spain, Italy even? Are yo saying they could be much much much worserer off? :shock:

FB :cuppa:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Zoom
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu 11 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Zoom »

it's all gone a bit quiet while we wait for (hopefully) silence from Big Ben on the 31st. I hope that anti protestors are also allowed to make their feelings known on the day although that could get a bit ugly if it's too near to Fromage's display also planned.

I'll be on a train trying to ignore all of it, a complete nothing day as far as I'm concerned nothing to celebrate as it's a start of a painful process that will likely eventually leave us with a useless relationship with our biggest customer the EU if at all

Finningley Boy
Posts: 3169
Joined: Sun 12 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Finningley Boy »

Personally, I'm not too exited about partying or Big Ben clanging, bonging or whatever it is. I can't be all that triumphal about it all. I voted leave, but as others have pointed out, with all taken into consideration, there isn't much to celebrate and as Zoom has pointed out, I might say with a tinge of hopeful expectation, there is almost certain to be a bunch of gate crashers at the bash.
This is to be expected no matter what, as many on the pro-EU membership side have tirelessly pointed out, the margin in the vote was narrow. Further, we don't know how things are going to pan out but wishing for the worst constantly can have a genuinely harmful impact. Being determined to fail is never advisable if its what you honestly want to avoid.

I'll expect some opprobrium from line five down.

FB :cuppa:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by rockfordstone »

Finningley Boy wrote:Personally, I'm not too exited about partying or Big Ben clanging, bonging or whatever it is. I can't be all that triumphal about it all. I voted leave, but as others have pointed out, with all taken into consideration, there isn't much to celebrate and as Zoom has pointed out, I might say with a tinge of hopeful expectation, there is almost certain to be a bunch of gate crashers at the bash.
This is to be expected no matter what, as many on the pro-EU membership side have tirelessly pointed out, the margin in the vote was narrow. Further, we don't know how things are going to pan out but wishing for the worst constantly can have a genuinely harmful impact. Being determined to fail is never advisable if its what you honestly want to avoid.

I'll expect some opprobrium from line five down.

FB :cuppa:

i think there will be pro-EU supporters who will show up to the city. as you say it was a narrow margin and they are as within their rights to protest (peacefully) as the brexit supporters are to have a party. it will kick off no doubt, but i wonder who will kick off first.
i don't give two "Kris Kris Tofferson!" about whether big ben bongs or not, but the fuss over whether a bell should sound or not is ridiculous. its almost like its being stirred to hide the fact that we still have no plan for what happens after...

i'm meant to be going to a gig in london that night so hopefully, the brexit party will be as big as the brexit march so i can still get a train

User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff
Posts: 9009
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 2:28 pm
Location: Solihull
Contact:

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by boff180 »

It is now the businesses own fault if they aren’t ready for Brexit.

After all, they’ve had since 2016 to prepare for the changes...

... except to date no one has a clue what change that need to make.....

Worryingly idiotic words from our chancelllor.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51157933

Zoom
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu 11 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Zoom »

boff180 wrote:It is now the businesses own fault if they aren’t ready for Brexit.

After all, they’ve had since 2016 to prepare for the changes...

... except to date no one has a clue what change that need to make.....

Worryingly idiotic words from our chancelllor.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51157933


it does beggar belief! looks like we are squaring up for A WTO exit with disasterous consequences (in which case why spend £39bn?) . I'm not sure how the Canada deal works but are they required to take EU regulations for their exports to the EU?

User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff
Posts: 9009
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 2:28 pm
Location: Solihull
Contact:

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by boff180 »

Many signs of unity and friendship coming out of the EU towards Britain today.

Shame it hasn't all be the same going the other way. The behaviour of Farage and his party today was despicable and showed him up to be what he really is.

Zoom
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu 11 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Zoom »

boff180 wrote:Many signs of unity and friendship coming out of the EU towards Britain today.

Shame it hasn't all be the same going the other way. The behaviour of Farage and his party today was despicable and showed him up to be what he really is.


I felt physically sick watching him and his cronies as he delivered his (hopefully) final verbal diarrhoea. What a complete charlatan, saying he loves Europe but hates the EU. Remind me who it was who put a poster depicting Syrian etc refugees as part of his Leave campaign, he's fed on xenophobia for all his political life.

It would be nice to say we've seen the back of him and his shower (that no longer have any democratically elected voice anywhere, edit, except Wales) but probably unlikely
Last edited by Zoom on Thu 30 Jan 2020, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff
Posts: 5560
Joined: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Tommy »

I don’t think we will see the back of him. Though he’ll probably try to go to America next.

Can’t wait for all those comments like “WhY ArEnT wE iN a rEceSsioN yEt?! TaKe ThAT ReMaNiACs!!” That are sure to befall newspaper columns, radio shows, and social media.

They couldn’t even get Big Ben to bong.

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7373
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by CJS »

Tommy wrote:
They couldn’t even get Big Ben to bong.


If someone had hit Farage with a metal club I imagine the sound might have been similar.

An happy to test this theory.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff
Posts: 9009
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 2:28 pm
Location: Solihull
Contact:

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by boff180 »

Chlorinated Chicken was deemed remain paranoia.....

oh look....

Brexit: US insists chlorinated chicken must be on menu in any UK trade agreement


https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 10081.html

User avatar
ericbee123
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 9:13 am
Location: Blackpool

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by ericbee123 »

boff180 wrote:Chlorinated Chicken was deemed remain paranoia.....

oh look....

Brexit: US insists chlorinated chicken must be on menu in any UK trade agreement


https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 10081.html


If nobody buys American chlorinated chicken then they won’t be imported for long. If on the other hand, British consumers want to eat chlorinated chicken then why shouldn’t they be imported ?
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff
Posts: 9009
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 2:28 pm
Location: Solihull
Contact:

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by boff180 »

... and that is a reason to lower our food safety standards to satisfy another nation because?

A portion of the population want to inject Heroin into their veins on a daily basis, doesn’t mean they should be allowed.

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by rockfordstone »

ericbee123 wrote:
boff180 wrote:Chlorinated Chicken was deemed remain paranoia.....

oh look....

Brexit: US insists chlorinated chicken must be on menu in any UK trade agreement


https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 10081.html


If nobody buys American chlorinated chicken then they won’t be imported for long. If on the other hand, British consumers want to eat chlorinated chicken then why shouldn’t they be imported ?

because it won't be as clear cut as "do i buy british chicken or US chicken". when you buy a ready meal, it will use the cheapest, when you buy a supermarket pie, it will use the cheapest meat which is likely to be the chlorinated chicken. How do you think horse meat got into the system?

User avatar
starbuck
Posts: 823
Joined: Tue 28 Mar 2017, 9:35 pm

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by starbuck »

boff180 wrote:... and that is a reason to lower our food safety standards to satisfy another nation because?

A portion of the population want to inject Heroin into their veins on a daily basis, doesn’t mean they should be allowed.


I don't quite follow the heroin analogy but to answer your question, the reason we would lower our food safety standards is because it would be part of a trade deal, therefore there would be a net benefit to the UK as a whole.

Now it would be up to you as an individual to decide if that deal is worth having chlorinated chicken on the shelves. If you work as a florist and your entire business is based within a 10 mile radius then it probably won't be. if you are a factory worker who suddenly finds your output goes up by 150% as your company starts exporting to the US and your wages get a great hike which means you can now afford to buy 100% british chicken then its going to be worth it.

I get the chlorinated chicken example, two words that don't in anyway belong together and I won't be buying it if it appears on the shelves. Same as right now I don't buy any ready made sandwich fillers from my local supermarket, because even though i love the taste, when i look at the packaging it tells me that the chicken comes from Thailand. I make the decision that I am probably better off not eating something from a country I can't help thinking has lower standards than my own and has then been flown half way around the world for me to consume in 5mins at lunchtime. Same as I won't buy battery eggs. And this whilst we are in the EU.

Will we get chlorinated chicken? probably. Will it be the only chicken on the shelf? No. As long as it is packaged and labelled properly I can't really see the issue as long as we get something from the US in return and for that we will just have to wait and see, but to write off a trade deal based on chicken does seem pretty narrow minded.

I actually think that the amount of negative press that has been generated by remainers around this has probably made up most consumers minds already.

User avatar
psquiddy
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:33 am
Contact:

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by psquiddy »

What is wrong with chlorinated chicken?

Don't Americans eat it all of the time?
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

User avatar
rockfordstone
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by rockfordstone »

starbuck wrote:
boff180 wrote:... and that is a reason to lower our food safety standards to satisfy another nation because?

A portion of the population want to inject Heroin into their veins on a daily basis, doesn’t mean they should be allowed.


I don't quite follow the heroin analogy but to answer your question, the reason we would lower our food safety standards is because it would be part of a trade deal, therefore there would be a net benefit to the UK as a whole.

Now it would be up to you as an individual to decide if that deal is worth having chlorinated chicken on the shelves. If you work as a florist and your entire business is based within a 10 mile radius then it probably won't be. if you are a factory worker who suddenly finds your output goes up by 150% as your company starts exporting to the US and your wages get a great hike which means you can now afford to buy 100% british chicken then its going to be worth it.

I get the chlorinated chicken example, two words that don't in anyway belong together and I won't be buying it if it appears on the shelves. Same as right now I don't buy any ready made sandwich fillers from my local supermarket, because even though i love the taste, when i look at the packaging it tells me that the chicken comes from Thailand. I make the decision that I am probably better off not eating something from a country I can't help thinking has lower standards than my own and has then been flown half way around the world for me to consume in 5mins at lunchtime. Same as I won't buy battery eggs. And this whilst we are in the EU.

Will we get chlorinated chicken? probably. Will it be the only chicken on the shelf? No. As long as it is packaged and labelled properly I can't really see the issue as long as we get something from the US in return and for that we will just have to wait and see, but to write off a trade deal based on chicken does seem pretty narrow minded.

I actually think that the amount of negative press that has been generated by remainers around this has probably made up most consumers minds already.


"Will we get chlorinated chicken? probably. Will it be the only chicken on the shelf? No. As long as it is packaged and labelled properly I can't really see the issue as long as we get something from the US in return and for that we will just have to wait and see, but to write off a trade deal based on chicken does seem pretty narrow minded."

herein lies the problem. once we leave the EU we are under no obligation to label origins of food. whether the government choose to continue it will depend on the government of the day. its up to you to decide whether they will do the right thing or follow their wallets

Post Reply