British Phantom Aviation Group (Official Topic)

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
tommc

Re: British Phantom Aviation Group (Official Topic)

Post by tommc »

iainpeden wrote:
Unknown74 wrote:Just out of interest and curiosity, can anyone tie up the 74 Sqdn Serials and tailcodes please for the F4J(UK)s as I am shortly due to start the Revell Model of the F4J as an RAF F4J(UK) and am interested to make it with tailcode T for Tiger(Surprise, Surprise) so wondered which serial it was please...…...

ZE350/T but be careful because I seem to remember that one didn't have the intake mounted ECM fairings and I can't find which one. If you go on to Britmodeller somebody will know.

ZE350 was the only one without the intake fairings fitted.
Regards
TomMc

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

What a great idea for a "What If " project - What if ZE350 had the ECM Fairings fitted.

tommc

Post by tommc »

Unknown74 wrote:What a great idea for a "What If " project - What if ZE350 had the ECM Fairings fitted.

I wonder how many people have inadvertently already done this?
Regards
TomMc

Marathon Milkshake

Post by Marathon Milkshake »

tommc wrote:
iainpeden wrote:I have also just flicked quickly through a few books and most of the photos of the F-4J(UK) {never wasPhantom F.3} and most are either clean or just have the centreline tank.

It never was F-4J(UK) either.

It was just F-4J.

No, it was simply.......a Tiger!

As for the wing tanks, 360 had them on at manston...
ImagePHANTOM F-4J (UK) ZE360 O (US NAVY 155574) by Gaz West, on Flickr

I belive the went off to Ireland or some such..
Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

tommc wrote:
Unknown74 wrote:What a great idea for a "What If " project - What if ZE350 had the ECM Fairings fitted.

I wonder how many people have inadvertently already done this?

I have just checked my models and have to plead guilty, m'lud.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Rich.B wrote:
tommc wrote:
iainpeden wrote:I have also just flicked quickly through a few books and most of the photos of the F-4J(UK) {never wasPhantom F.3} and most are either clean or just have the centreline tank.

It never was F-4J(UK) either.

It was just F-4J.

The term UK was not really spoken back in the years we had the Phantom. It a new word really . Back in the day it was still British or England.
We had British rail, British airways. British leyland etc etc. The term UK is pretty new really

A new term!?

It’s been in use since 1801! :roll: :grin:

Please also note that ‘Britain’, ‘England’ and ‘UK’ all denote different things. Overlapping things, sure, but different.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Unknown74 wrote:Just out of interest and curiosity, can anyone tie up the 74 Sqdn Serials and tailcodes please for the F4J(UK)s as I am shortly due to start the Revell Model of the F4J as an RAF F4J(UK) and am interested to make it with tailcode T for Tiger(Surprise, Surprise) so wondered which serial it was please...…...

If I remember correctly the first eight were coded T,I,G,E,R,S,Q,N for some reason I cannot remember, possibly some RAF typewriter that was being used at the time or similar. :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

tommc

Post by tommc »

capercaillie wrote:

If I remember correctly the first eight were coded T,I,G,E,R,S,Q,N for some reason I cannot remember, possibly some RAF typewriter that was being used at the time or similar. :dunno:

http://www.wattisham.org.uk/movements_1984.htm has the full list
Regards
TomMc

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

Unknown74 wrote:I am shortly due to start the Revell Model of the F4J as an RAF F4J(UK) and am interested to make it with tailcode T for Tiger(Surprise, Surprise) so wondered which serial it was please...…...

T for Tiger was ZE350, the cockpit section of which is now resident in Australia (and is another one back in US colours). Seen here in October 2019-

Last edited by BPAG on Tue 03 Dec 2019, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

Read through the recent posts with interest and felt I should post a reply to clarify a few comments made and confirm if the information supplied is indeed 100% correct. Now I`m not going to boast that I`m a major authority on the subject matter, it`s still an ongoing learning process. However I`ve had access to both air and ground crews over the years, asked a lot of questions and carried out research on the F-4J(UK) during its procurement stages and service with 74 Squadron, so I`d like to think that my conclusions so far are reasonably sound and logical.

So let`s start off with the awesome photo by Colin Collis posted at the beginning of these recent post exchange. The photo was taken probably sometime early during 1989 as ZE360 was only repainted in standard AD grey within the last 18 months or so of her service life before being retired at Manston Fire School. The other aircraft is ZE359/J which you will now find in the American Air Museum at Duxford repainted in the scheme she wore while serving with VF-74 in the US Navy. Not only is this picture an excellent colour comparison between the RAF AD grey and the NORIS, (North Island), paint shop job, but it`s also a photo of the last two intact F-4J(UK)`s still in existence. (Depending on how intact you feel ZE360 is?)

Again the information on ZE350/T is correct regarding the lack of ALG-126 DECM fairings on the intakes, it had served with the Naval Air Test Center (NATC) at NAS Patuxent River, so being a test aircraft they were never fitted for operational use. Saying that, all the aircraft that had the fairings were empty anyway as it wasn`t a requirement in the procurement process.

The story of the under-slung Phantom being ditched in the bay off NORIS is correct and may I add that the story goes the incident was witnessed by members of the Royal Family aboard the Royal Yacht Britannia who were sailing near by on a tour of the West Coast. Because of this incident, all further Phantom deliveries for refurbishment were flown in under their own steam. Not all the Phantoms were stored in the desert, some were actually stored at NORIS, BuNo 155574, (ZE360), being one of them.

Once refurbished the Phantoms, in batches of three, were sent to the NORIS paint shop. The RAF had supplied the colour specifications they wanted but the Americans didn`t have the shades so started to mix their supplies of FS paints to try and get the best match. What you will find is that no three Phantoms emerged from the paint shop in the same shade as each time three aircraft were released, someone on the RAF team would point out that it needed to be a shade darker and so the painters would go back and remix the paints again in time for the next three Phantoms. The bright yellow primer undercoat and only one layer of `grey` overcoat applied, (which was the wrong shade of grey anyway), are the recognised reasons among the Squadron for the blue/green tinge.

Touching on the designation of the type, as suggested, F3 was never used. It was discussed/suggested early on in the procurement process, however with the advent of the introduction of the Tornado F.3 coming soon and knowing that personnel have a knack of simplifying and shortening aircraft types designations, having two different `F3` types flying around could lead to confusion for some.
Now regarding whether it was referred to as F-4J(UK) or not? I know from conversations with the squadron aircrew and groundcrew that they referred to the Phantom as either the `F-4J` or just `J`. Manuals and logbooks also state just the F-4J prefix. However my understanding from conversations with the people that were actually part of the procurement process is that the types official designation with the MoD and RAF was F-4J(UK). It maybe and I would suggest that as all the manuals and log books were transferred/copied from the US, the `UK` prefix just wasn`t included/added as it wasn`t a detail that was required for that specific documentation. (I have reached out to contacts to confirm this was the case and I`ll let you know in due course).

While the airframes were American F-4J`s, what 74 received and indeed what the RAF asked for, was actually a hybrid of the J, S and you could argue FGR.2 variants. The basis of the airframe and engines were from the `J` model, however a number of `S` upgrades were incorporated into the refurbishment program. The Phantoms were put through what essentially was the F-4S service life extension program, (SLEP) when being refurbished at NARF, (Naval Air Rework Facility), including upgrading the radars from the standard `J` AWG-10 radar to the `S`s AWG-10B. And then you have to add in the British requirements like the Skyflash missile and SUU-23A gun pod wiring, plus the TESS, (telescopic sighting system), which were all fitted, (or due to be fitted in the case of TESS), to the FGR.2.

As for the wing tank question, I have spoken to aircrew that will swear blind they operated the Phantoms in Bravo fit, (Center Line tank only). You then walk across the bar to another table and another `J` aircrew will swear blind they only flew the J`s in Charlie fit, (Sergeant Fletcher wing tank configuration). The simple answer is that they flew in both fits depending on the sortie being undertaken. If planning to go supersonic or on a DACM mission, Bravo fit was the best choice as the g loading on the wing tanks was limited to 3g, (if I remember correctly), which is not conducive to high speed or tight turns. Obviously long flights or sorties dictated Charlie fit with the wing tanks. One of the `J` myths on aviation forums is that they only flew in Bravo fit because there are hardly find any photo`s of J`s in Charlie fit. This is wrong and I would suggest that the number of photos showing both Bravo and Charlie fits is about even providing you look hard enough.

Whether you want to call it F-4J(UK), F-4J or just the J, one thing is certain, the 15 Phantom`s operated by 74 Squadron were a very special and unique type to serve a nations airforce. Out of all the F-4 Phantom restoration projects that have come and gone, this endeavour is perhaps one of the most important regarding British Phantom operational history.
Last edited by tc2324 on Wed 06 Apr 2022, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Thanks - looking forward to seeing them together again. Any update on the FGR.2 you're looking for?

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

iainpeden wrote:Thanks - looking forward to seeing them together again. Any update on the FGR.2 you're looking for?

I have not heard any news regarding an FGR.2 so I`ll pass that question over to my associates at the BPAG. :biggrin:

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Hi Guys, with the current topic being F-4J(UK)s, and I have seen brief mention of the Aircraft I am asking about, I saw ZE359 J possibly just after it had newly arrived at Duxford at the Museums Classic Fighter Show way back in Summer 1991 and am asking does anyone remember what it's date of delivery to Duxford was and did it actually fly in? or roaded?

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

Unknown74 wrote:Hi Guys, with the current topic being F-4J(UK)s, and I have seen brief mention of the Aircraft I am asking about, I saw ZE359 J possibly just after it had newly arrived at Duxford at the Museums Classic Fighter Show way back in Summer 1991 and am asking does anyone remember what it's date of delivery to Duxford was and did it actually fly in? or roaded?

It was flown in, but no idea of date, can only say early 1991.

tommc

Post by tommc »

tc2324 wrote:
Unknown74 wrote:Hi Guys, with the current topic being F-4J(UK)s, and I have seen brief mention of the Aircraft I am asking about, I saw ZE359 J possibly just after it had newly arrived at Duxford at the Museums Classic Fighter Show way back in Summer 1991 and am asking does anyone remember what it's date of delivery to Duxford was and did it actually fly in? or roaded?

10/06/1991 ( http://www.ukserials.com/ )
Regards
TomMc

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

tommc wrote:
tc2324 wrote:

10/06/1991 ( http://www.ukserials.com/ )

An excellent resource tommc :up:

JagRigger

Post by JagRigger »

Not sure if anyone has seen this site, but there is a link to the 1985 RAF Yearbook with an article on the F4J procurement and a couple of pics of 'T'

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/search?q=yearbook

Wyvernfan

Post by Wyvernfan »

tc2324 wrote:

Yes flown in, and I think with none other than John Allison at the helm. I remember seeing the RAF installing the mobile arrester gear either side of the runway but didn’t realise what type was actually going to be arriving.

Rob

tommc

Post by tommc »

Wyvernfan wrote:Yes flown in, and I think with none other than John Allison at the helm. I remember seeing the RAF installing the mobile arrester gear either side of the runway but didn’t realise what type was actually going to be arriving.

Rob

No, it was "Sqn Ldr Dai Whittington" and "Sqn Ldr Dave Loveridge" who flew it into Duxford (according to BAR Vol.33 No.8).
Regards
TomMc

Wyvernfan

Post by Wyvernfan »

Ok Thanks. I must be thinking of the other F.4 that flew in then!

Rob

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/2hV2Ddr

Just a quick update and reminder regarding the Associations restoration page and webstore and letting you know that kids t-shirts, hoodies and a few other stocking fillers have been added.
So please take a look and HELP contribute to the fund raising effort.

http://74sqdn.tk/ze360-restoration-page/

https://teespring.com/stores/74f-tiger360-webstore

Thanks for looking and have a great Christmas and Happy New Year.

Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/2hV3QuiImagehttps://flic.kr/p/2hV2DUg

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

tc2324 wrote:Now regarding whether it was referred to as F-4J(UK) or not? I know from conversations with the squadron aircrew and groundcrew that they referred to the Phantom as either the `F-4J` or just `J`. Manuals and logbooks also state just the F-4J prefix. However my understanding from conversations with the people that were actually part of the procurement process is that the types official designation with the MoD and RAF was F-4J(UK). It maybe and I would suggest that as all the manuals and log books were transferred/copied from the US, the `UK` prefix just wasn`t included/added as it wasn`t a detail that was required for that specific documentation. (I have reached out to contacts to confirm this was the case and I`ll let you know in due course).

Just confirming to those interested that the J`s `official` designation was indeed F-4J(uk) and that as suggested above, aircrew, groundcrew and manuals just never used the '(uk)' bit.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Thanks tc.

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

A few selected images from the 74 Squadron Association archives of the British F-4J`s going through NARF (Naval Air Rework Facility) at NORIS (North Island) San Diego, California during the 1980s.

BPAG

Post by BPAG »

A rare shot of XT597 in pre-Raspberry Ripple days. On show at RAF Coltishall on 15th May, 1982. Many thanks to Mark Taylor for supplying the pic.