Shorts Belfast at Cairns - Any News?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Wyvernfan

Shorts Belfast at Cairns - Any News?

Post by Wyvernfan »

I was just wondering if there were any developments regarding the Belfast sitting at Cairns in Australia? Last I heard was a possible engine run being planned / taking place.

Rob

wezgulf3

Re: Shorts Belfast at Cairns - Any News?

Post by wezgulf3 »

Wyvernfan wrote:I was just wondering if there were any developments regarding the Belfast sitting at Cairns in Australia? Last I heard was a possible engine run being planned / taking place.

Rob

Read on Facebook recently that it will be getting the chop per the Airports request.
Really hope that’s not the case, but I can’t see how anyone could use it for a profit?

Wes...

Wyvernfan

Post by Wyvernfan »

Thanks for the reply.

IMO It should never of left the UK in the first place, but of course it went to whoever could afford to buy it and use it.
But If it is cut up as you say, then that just leaves one complete example left - just one, the same as another giant RAF transport, the Blackburn Beverley. A sad state of affairs for any aircraft type to find itself in, and more so for larger types!

Rob

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Given the small number produced to currently have two survive is a surprise. Sad if the Cairns example is lost, glad that Cosford has at least got XR371 under cover.
Reference is made to the greater risk that the sole survivor Blackburn Beverley faces. Whilst I am sure the owners of XB259 do their best sadly they have a very large aircraft to look after.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wyvernfan wrote: A sad state of affairs for any aircraft type to find itself in, and more so for larger types!

Rob

When you consider only one military Argosy and Andover also survive preserved in the UK, the fact that after the war mass produced military types with incredible and important service histories such as the Stirling :mad: , Halifax :mad: and Master :wall: were wiped off the map of the country, its not a great surprise. From the other side 20% of all Belfasts still exist which is a very high percentage. :shock:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

The 20% survival rate, indeed a 10% rate, should the Cairns example be lost is high but it is still just one. With the Cosford example one with a safe, undercover future. As is both the Andover and Argosy. In terms of large RAF transports the Beverley is certainty of most concern.
The mass scrapping in the late 1940's was simply a sign of the times. Sure some aircraft slipped through the preservation net. But is is still happening today. How many Hawk, Tucano and Tornado have made to true preservation ?
Only one RAF C-130 has been saved, again at Cosford, and I would doubt any of the remaining in service will be preserved.
Think I am correct in saying no Nimrod or VC-10 is preserved undercover and only one Shackleton (under cover) , WR960 at Manchester, and that is looking for a new home.
Last edited by DOUGHNUT on Thu 12 Dec 2019, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole

Post by Cole »

DOUGHNUT wrote:The 20% survival rate, indeed a 10% rate, should the Cairns example be lost is high but it is still just one. With the Cosford example one with a safe, undercover future. As is both the Andover and Argosy. In terms of large RAF transports the Beverley is certainty of most concern.
The mass scrapping in the late 1940's was simply a sign of the times. Sure some aircraft slipped through the preservation net. But is is still happening today. How many Hawk, Tucano and Tornado have made to true preservation ?
Only one RAF C-130 has been saved, again at Cosford, and I would doubt any of the remaining in service will be preserved.
Think I am correct in saying no Nimrod or VC-10 is preserved undercover and only one Shackleton, WR960 at Manchester, and that is looking for a new home.

There is the Shack at Coventry but that is outside
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

ozplane

Post by ozplane »

The Duxford Shackleton is under cover but in pieces. Anybody know if it is down for conservation?

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

As the Beverley has been mentioned, what sort of condition is the airframe in, given its position close to salt air?

I appreciate that being outside is not good but has the salt environment had a detrimental effect beyond just being outside?
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Keefy041

Post by Keefy041 »

Wouldn't be surprised if the Duxford Shackleton quietly disappears like the Convair T29, Varsity and RAF Comet

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Keefy041 wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if the Duxford Shackleton quietly disappears like the Convair T29, Varsity and RAF Comet

It may yet turn out to still belong to the RAF; so not as easy for Dx to dispose of as they may have hoped!
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

Doughnut: slightly off topic, but the nose and cockpit of VC10 ZA149 are preserved at the Al Mahatta museum on the site of the former RAF Sharjah in the UAE, in Gulf Air colours. Although the nose is outside, the entrance is through the wall from the inside of the hangar.
Laurence

Junk Collector

Post by Junk Collector »

Hi Rob

Ditched FP Forum as well ?

Wyvernfan

Post by Wyvernfan »

I have for now JC. Absolute shambles over there :facepalm: - although i hear its starting to improve.

Getting back to the Belfast. If the euromillions Numbers come up, would a ferry flight back to the UK for preservation be feasible, or are the RR Tyne’s not permitted to operate in / over the UK anymore?!

Rob

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

We've not banned Transalls and Atlantiques, I appreciate different model numbers, so I don't think the Tynes would be the problem but more the issue a 55 year old giant rust bucket that hasn't moved for 10 years is even considered to be heaved into the air. :hide:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

Nothing is happening to the Belfast yet. Latest is that she will be flown to Singapore for a heavy maintenance check and then used for Cargo once again. Like all things I will believe it when I see it.

Wyvernfan

Post by Wyvernfan »

Thanks for the update. I would appreciate any updates on its status as and when you hear of any.

Rob