New Red Arrows In America Documentary 8th January

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Euan Buchan

New Red Arrows In America Documentary 8th January

Post by Euan Buchan »

A new documentary following The Red Arrows in America starts on 8th January at 9pm on Channel 5, looks good.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

Mike

Re: New Red Arrows In America Documentary 8th January

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the heads-up Euan, I'll look forward to watching it.

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Thank You - Will watch that !!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

This will no doubt be a follow up to the Kings Of The Skies which was on in January/ February 2019?

Fantastic they’ve made this to show how The Reds Tour went.

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Just a reminder this programme is on tonight
The Concorde Forum

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Euan Buchan wrote:Just a reminder this programme is on tonight

Personally I thought last nights first episode was very well done and a great insight into what was involved in the tour. Looking forward to the next 5. :up:
Just curious about one thing tho'? Why was the Danish Air Force Challenger involved? I gather it was something to do with 'Meteorological Support'..... :dunno:
...Rad shutters auto.

Mike

Post by Mike »

keithjs wrote:Why was the Danish Air Force Challenger involved?

Probably because Greenland is a Danish territory. The Challengers are used for maritime surveillance and the programme mentioned that it was being used in a SAR capacity.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

keithjs wrote:Just curious about one thing though'? Why was the Danish Air Force Challenger involved?

Single engine aircraft over large expanses of water often transit with SAR support in case of emergency. As the Royal Air Force was/is currently lacking that Maritime Patrol capability, they required the support from another nation. As a friendly NATO ally, the Royal Danish Air Force kindly provided one their Challenger aircraft for both legs of the Trans-Atlantic crossing, which are equipment for maritime surveillance and the ability to drop life-rafts and other supplies required to any downed aircrew in increase their chances of survival. The support of the RDAF was essential to the Red Arrows tour and therefore I think it's highly likely you'll see the Red Arrows participating in this year's Danish Air Show at Karup in June as a thank-you.

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Still need to watch it, was busy catching up with Bancroft Series 2 then Silent Witness last night.
The Concorde Forum

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Have to say I enjoyed it, I don't think it was a full nuts and bolts exposé type show or anything but it was interesting seeing the ins and outs of the various legs it took to get there
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
keithjs wrote:Just curious about one thing though'? Why was the Danish Air Force Challenger involved?

Single engine aircraft over large expanses of water often transit with SAR support in case of emergency. As the Royal Air Force was/is currently lacking that Maritime Patrol capability, they required the support from another nation. As a friendly NATO ally, the Royal Danish Air Force kindly provided one their Challenger aircraft for both legs of the Trans-Atlantic crossing, which are equipment for maritime surveillance and the ability to drop life-rafts and other supplies required to any downed aircrew in increase their chances of survival. The support of the RDAF was essential to the Red Arrows tour and therefore I think it's highly likely you'll see the Red Arrows participating in this year's Danish Air Show at Karup in June as a thank-you.

Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation. It all makes sense now. :up:
...Rad shutters auto.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

A Danish Challenger ferried the Circus team part of the way home from Greenland.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Just finished catching up with the programme really enjoyed it.
The Concorde Forum

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

I (sort of) enjoyed it.....

But I hate this modern trend of 'doomsday' presentation.......

Just before an Ad break the narrator solemly intones...."If they get this widget wrong, it will be the end of the world as we know it"......

Then we come back from the Ad - and it's "They managed to fix it and everything is OK"...

It seems to be the style in all modern documentaries.

Oh - and what is the Federal Aviation AUTHORITY ????

I'll be watching the next episode though....

Ken

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Will be watching the rest of the series,interesting to see the work involved to get the team to the States.Reading between the lines they are getting a bit concerned about the age of the Hawks most of which are getting on for 30 years old.

John in Seaford

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

lambo17841 wrote:Reading between the lines they are getting a bit concerned about the age of the Hawks most of which are getting on for 30 years old.

John in Seaford

I think you mean "40 years old" !

jules48

Post by jules48 »

It was more like watching a weather channel.I know they say that pilots are very OCD but kept repeating the same thing over and over again.Hopefully the rest of the series will be better.Only my opinion of course.

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

I think made with a big eye on the us market with the usuall ,when they come back they tell you of 5 mins what you just watched and a little of whats to come

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Beautifully filmed and well presented; I presume by a firm contracted to the MoD not C5?

I liked seeing the logistics of bringing these 40 year old planes (yes 40 I was in Brighton in 1980 when one went into the sea) across the Atlantic, wondering what would have happened if they'd not had sight of the runway in Greenland?

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Zoom wrote:….. wondering what would have happened if they'd not had sight of the runway in Greenland?

ATC probably would've advised them "Should've gone to Specsavers!" ? :wink:

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Bit of a Yawn fest with all this false Jeporady crap. Take the Thunder Storm, OMG show could be Cancelled, 20 seconds later blue skis. OMG the dye could go wrong, OMG the Skyscapers are really big, Omg is the runway long enough, OMG is used a Blue Biro instead of Red.

Tune in next week casue the tyres are deflating... No thanks

I did gasp when the Blue Angels F-18 cut across the top of the camera ship. Close or Wah.

I'll let the missus Silent Witness next week instead
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I would like to see a Gogglebox with the Pilot Episode chaps commenting.

Overall it's a good programme, though I do think that showing the 'best of British' to America - and having to rely on a Danish aircraft for the ferry part isn't showing the best of British. Best of Europe maybe.

jingernut

Post by jingernut »

Georgeconna wrote:Bit of a Yawn fest with all this false Jeporady crap. Take the Thunder Storm, OMG show could be Cancelled, 20 seconds later blue skis. OMG the dye could go wrong, OMG the Skyscapers are really big

How is that false jeopardy? These are real problems that they face.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

It was a bit overly dramatic but that was the point. Keep the viewers interested.

These programmes are aimed at the average Joe Public and not those with massive interests in aviation. I would say 95% of what is talked about the majority of us already know but the average viewer doesn't. To us its a non issue, to those not in the know, its drama.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

No episode this week, we are being treated to a 'first time ever' Thomas Markle exclusive interview about his fallout with Meghan.