Duxford Diary 2020

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
DCW

Re: Duxford Diary 2020

Post by DCW »

Duxford Friday 10th January:

The wings of the CASA 2.111 departed this morning on the way to Kent:

Today's sunshine brought out several Spitfires, with PT462 flying and SM520 arriving:

Also around today:

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

A catch up on the ongoing Victor restoration in the conservation hanger, had a chat with Andrew in there and he tells me the paint is on order and we should soon see paint going on, it will be rolled on as was done in service apparently, the scheme chosen will be green / grey upper with white undersides, 55 Squadron
Home for the Victor will be undercover in the Air Space Hangar at the east end of Duxford which its self will undergo some reorganization at the same time

Some photos of it laid out like some huge model kit!

ImageVictor 3 by Mark Handley, on Flickr

ImageVictor 2 by Mark Handley, on Flickr

ImageVictor 1 by Mark Handley, on Flickr

I felt inclined to donate to this worthy restoration, here is a link if you would like to donate also;

https://www.iwm.org.uk/support-us/donat ... ctor-XH648

"Every little helps" :-)

Wyvernfan

Post by Wyvernfan »

What was once a fly in the ointment to the IWM’s Collection will soon become the jewel in the crown, and rightly so.

I for one doubted that this would ever happen, fearing the worst as it slowly deteriorated outside, but I’m very happy to eat my words and instead heap praise on the IWM and its volunteers for carrying out such an in depth and much needed restoration on this unique survivor :clap:. I only hope I get to see it outside briefly before it disappears back inside for good.

Here’s hoping the Shackleton MR.3 follows the same route - eventually!

Rob

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Whilst understand it is IWM aircraft given its history very sad that an overall white scheme has not been chosen.

BobL

Post by BobL »

I was hoping for a anti-flash white scheme too - but as mentioned, just good to see such a deep restoration...
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

DCW

Post by DCW »

Duxford Sunday 12th January:

Very quiet today, with strong winds all day. Venturing out were a pair of PA-39 Twin Comanches, both early production models from 1970. A quick comparison suggests each has a different set of speed kit mods (rudder seals, fin strake, windscreen, cowlings). Looking good after 50 years, but I know which colour scheme I prefer !

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

AirSpace will be closed all day Monday 27 January 2020 for a private event.

Heads up. :up:

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

The Victor has always looked so futuristic but the last photo really does look like something designed for space.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

HuwJHopkins wrote:
rollason beta wrote:Hardly an over dramatisation of the Spitfire tip up. Sums it up pretty well. Power on throughout, state of disbelieve I imagine!

The difference between +7/+9 boost to +18 is vast in terms of warbird operation, though. There's no way the pilot was using anywhere near 'full power'. We're all better than Daily Mail sensationalisation like that! It might seem anal to pick up on it, but in this world where the truth seems to be less relevant by the day, you don't know who might read this forum and take that as fact.

Whoaaa! My Bad! Of course I should have stipulated "full Warbird Operator power +8 +/- Boost".... by way of not inferring "full Wartime BoB. power with +18 Boost" :oops:
However, from my own 19 images from throttle to roll-out spanning 3 seconds it clearly shows down elevator applied past the point where fuselage axis is horizontal & only becomes full up-elevator after the initial (inevitable?) prop-strike. Full up-elevator & applied take-off throttle are maintained throughout the sequence until after the prop eventually clears the ground & the aircraft aborts its t/o run. Only then is the elevator ever neutral for the roll-out, before closing the throttle & belatedly becoming up-elevator for taxying back to dispersal. I only see what I see! (which doesn't include 'Dead People') :wink:
The linked photo shows just how marginal this occurrence wasn't?? :whistle: :facepalm: This shot isn't mine. Full Credit to 'Brenden S'. It's borrowed from 'Airshow Photos'... "Your favourite image from 2019" posted below.
https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/5/37011_1569651859.jpg

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

It happened in front of me. The aircraft went to take off but aborted as the Spitfire next to it took off. Elevator was rested and then power applied. As the image speaks for itself the aircraft nosed over very quickly. All I can say is that it was quick reaction by the pilot which saved the aircraft from properly nosing over.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9469256

Chris Cussen

Post by Chris Cussen »

Its easy to be an armchair critic.

DCW

Post by DCW »

Duxford Saturday 18th January:

Zlin Z.126 D-EYGL (built 1954) has been hangared for the last few weeks, but this morning was seen on a local flight:

Sharkmouth was also out for some exercise:

More sharks ( the Sale Sharks are a Rugby team, I believe ):

Moggy C

Post by Moggy C »

I dropped into another forum where I am no longer welcome and found that the best thread of them all was no longer alive. It took me all of yesterday to find where it was hiding.

Thanks as ever for the work you put in, hopefully it won't be too long before a photo of XB appears here as a 'visitor'

Cheers guys.

Moggy

NOTE: How do I subscribe to this thread? There is mention of a link in the bottom left hand corner, but I am blowed if I can find it.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Moggy C wrote:I dropped into another forum where I am no longer welcome and found that the best thread of them all was no longer alive. It took me all of yesterday to find where it was hiding.

Thanks as ever for the work you put in, hopefully it won't be too long before a photo of XB appears here as a 'visitor'

Cheers guys.

Moggy

NOTE: How do I subscribe to this thread? There is mention of a link in the bottom left hand corner, but I am blowed if I can find it.

At the very bottom of this page, bottom left you have Board index, Subscribe or Bookmark topic
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Moggy C

Post by Moggy C »

Got it.

Many thanks.

Moggy

duxman

Post by duxman »

Nice to see David and Mark Millers immaculate Dragon Rapide G-AGJG flying today in the nice winter sunshine. A far cry from her appearance when she first arrived at Duxford 45 years ago on the 17/8/75 !!!

ImageG-AGJG by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageG-AGJG arrival at DX 17/8/75 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman
Flikr -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/albums

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Fantastic stuff, Tony! The decades-long documentation of Duxford's preservation scene (both IWM and private operators) by you and others posting here is one of the reasons this thread is so special.

DragonRapide

Post by DragonRapide »

Those images of 'GJG are tremendous!

I've heard horror stories of the state she was in on arrival. Thank goodness she made it in one piece! The transformation into what for me is still the finest Rapide around is an epic story of incredible dedication.

Looking elsewhere in the photos is fascinating too - the unrestored Control Tower, Sally B (recently arrived from Biggin, presumably) and no evidence of an air-side barrier!

Thanks for posting.

Hooligan

Post by Hooligan »

I recall 'GJG parked by the Express Aviation ramp at Biggin Hill in June '75, looking incredibly tatty with a great rent in the rear fuselage fabric. And a horrid shade of purple. Next time I visited about 18 months later she'd gone and I assumed had been scrapped. When I heard she was being restored I assumed she'd been roaded out of Biggin. I think this is the first time I've heard she was flown out? Blimey...

Davidmil

Post by Davidmil »

Not only did she fly in, but the owner brought some of his family in it too! What could possibly have gone wrong?

Well, a heavily corroded main spar and a control cable down to its last two strands tell their own story. The flying wires were also well past their sell-by dates! But it all buffed out!

DCW

Post by DCW »

Duxford Sunday 26th January:

Things remain quiet at Duxford, activity is mostly covering routine winter maintenance. TFC's Corsair is one of many warbirds receiving attention:

DCW

Post by DCW »

Duxford Monday 27th January:

Spitfire HF.VIII 'MT928' (MV154) made her first flight this morning since the propstrike last September, and subsequent restoration to the UK register as G-BKMI. The dull weather didn't prevent a vigorous practice display on return.

The first Airshow items for the May Duxford Air Festival are now online at:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford ... flyinglist

And Legends tickets are now available.

duxman

Post by duxman »

A few more pictures of Spitfire MV154 in action today at Duxford

ImageG-BKMI / MV154 as MT928 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageG-BKMI MV154 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

Flikr -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

dazdaman

Post by dazdaman »

Great news. There's something about that particular Spitfire that I really, really like.

Rivet Joint

Post by Rivet Joint »

Duxford Monday 27th January 2020.

As you can't have too much of a good thing, here's a couple more images of the Spitfire VIII from earlier today:

Spitfire VIII 'MT928' (MV154)/G-BKMI
ImageIMG_1885 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1887 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/85383837@N04/