Buccaneer XV168 Restoration Project

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
BuccaneerBoy

Buccaneer XV168 Restoration Project

Post by BuccaneerBoy »

Hello All

After starting a thread on the restoration of Buccaneer XV168 over on the now frankly useless Key Forum and after a few gentle nudges from Graham (Blue2) who I also work on Meteor WS788 with I'm starting a nice new shiny thread on here so you can all see the progress on the project. As some of you may be aware we are lucky enough to have 3 Bucc's at the Yorkshire Air Museum so from time to time I will also post bits about XN974 and XX901 as well.

Ill do a bit of a catch up on the progress on the project so far over the next few days and any bits and bobs that I think you might all find interesting.

So first off a bit of history on XV168:

Buccaneer XV168 was built by the Blackburn Aircraft Company at its factory at Brough in East Yorkshire. As the runway on the companies airfield next to the factory wasn’t long enough for the Buccaneers to take off from, XV168 like all the other Buccaneers was taken by road to the former WW2 airfield at Holme on Spalding Moor where Blackburn had its flight testing facility.

After all the pre delivery test flights been completed XV168 was delivered to the Fleet Air Arm and allocated to 801 Naval Air Squadron which it served with until the Royal Navies aircraft carriers were retired from service and like many other Royal Navy Buccaneers it was transferred to the Royal Air Force.

Throughout XV168 many years of service with the Royal Air Force it was operated by 12 and 208 Squadrons and 237 Operation Conversion Unit.

Upon the retirement of the Buccaneer from Royal Air Force service XV168 was selected to return to its place of birth at Brough, now part of British Aerospace. On 15th October 1993 XV168 made its last flight and became to only Buccaneer ever to land at Brough with the help of a portable airfield arrestor system and its tail hook.

XV168 served as a gate guard at the Brough site for many years, but due to the redevelopment of the site a new home needed to be found for the aircraft. BAe systems (formally British Aerospace) donated XV168 to the museum and on 18th August 2013 XV168 became the last Buccaneer to leave Brough (and the only one to leave twice) on her road journey to The Yorkshire Air Museum to join the museums 2 other Buccaneers XN974 and XX901.

A coup[le of pics of 168's move from Brough to Elvington. ( all images are my own unless otherwise stated, if you wish to use any of my images please just ask :)

ImageIMG_2351 by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

ImageXV168 arrival by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

And the museums other 2 Bucc's on the day 168 arrived XX901 in its Gulf War colours and XN974 in her old wrap aroiund camo scheme.

ImageIMG_2375 by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

Well I think that's enough for today, hope you all enjoy following the progress on XV168
Last edited by BuccaneerBoy on Wed 12 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be found usually chucking spanner’s at Buccaneers and the occasional Meteor

Ryan.

Re: Buccaneer XV168 Restoration Project

Post by Ryan. »

One of my favourite aircraft. Be watching this one with interest. :clap:

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Good to see you finally made it across Scott!
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Good to see this here look forward to the updates!

TT

BuccaneerBoy

Post by BuccaneerBoy »

Hello again all

Right to start getting you all up to date on where we are at with 168's restoration.

The project started in May 2019. I was part of the team who look after the Victor at Elvington but apart my love of said V bomber ive always loved the Bucc ever since seeing an amazing display at an airshow when I was a small lad. And been a proud Yorkshireman you cant get a much more Yorkshire aircraft than a Buccaneer :)

After 168's arrival nothing really happened with her as manpower isn't abundant (we are for the most part all volunteers) and other things had taken priority. She spent a stint out on the airfield as almost a gate guard and this combined with her years of inactivity at Brough and nothing really happening at the museum with her she was starting to look very sad and not fairing to well.

So I decided to take her on as my own project, like Graham I still help out on the Victor when needed as well as the Meteor, in the whole we are pretty much one big team each with our own project.

So I digress

The plan for 168 is two fold. Firstly to get her repainted, she quiet badly faded and the last repaint she had at Brough was done by the apprentices.....and it looks like they used 6 inch brushes and paint from B&Q :D

And secondly is get as many of her systems working as possible, she has engines but these are stripped of pretty much all the accessories and as the RAF swapped them out after she flew into Brough we don't know the condition of the engines but we presume they were scrappers. they do turn freely by hand and the bearings sound ok but you never know. so before everyone asks are we going to get her running again my answer is unlikely.......but never say never.

I initially started 168 on my own but within a couple of weeks Simon who helps Graham with 788 jumped in to help where he could.

So this is what we started with....

ImageUntitled by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

One of the first jobs to tackle was getting into the cockpit. the canopy is (usually) opened electrically by a motor and drive chain system, but after putting a battery in 168 we discovered that she wouldn't open. (we later found out one of the operating micro switches had been taken out to be used on 974) so after looking into our very limited AP's (aircraft publications) at that point we found out the way to do it manually which involves declutching the drive system and winding it open manually with a handy fold away handle which is stored under the access panel on the spine....and so we get to this

The spine panel removed. you can make out the handy fold away winding handle painted red.

The handle fitted into place.

And after some pretty hard winding......

This is the first time she had been open in a good few years which is probably why it wasn't easy work getting the canopy open but after much lubrication and opening and closing a lot since the project started the canopy opens much easier. getting the canopy to open electrically again is one of the jobs on the list to do, if we can find a replacement micro switch.

Right that's ya lot for today.....More to come

BuccaneerBoy

Post by BuccaneerBoy »

Blue_2 wrote:Good to see you finally made it across Scott!

Better late then never Graham :D

cabbage

Post by cabbage »

Good to see her in safe hands.

I have spent quite a lot of time in both cockpits, whilst serving on 208 Squadron, in the early 90's.

BuccaneerBoy

Post by BuccaneerBoy »

cabbage wrote:Good to see her in safe hands.

I have spent quite a lot of time in both cockpits, whilst serving on 208 Squadron, in the early 90's.

I'm sure you'll be glad to know that she's going back into her 208 colours when repainted

cabbage

Post by cabbage »

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

baz1962

Post by baz1962 »

Another great thread saved from Key! :biggrin:

BuccaneerBoy

Post by BuccaneerBoy »

Time for another work so far post while I have a bit of free time.

This one will look at the prep work for the repaint that we have carried out so far.

Although we will be brining 168 indoors for her repaint all the prep work has to be carried out outdoors due to the dust it creates, this then makes the prep work a long drawn out process as we are at the mercy of the elements.

The prep work kind of started by accident as I rubbed down the port main undercarriage door while I was waiting on something else.

where I sanded through the existing paint down to bare metal those areas were treated with etch primer which is the dark grey areas on the door.

The door was rubbed down by hand and there was no way I was going to do the whole jet by hand so on the next trip to the jet the sander was brought to bare on 168. As I had started on the port door I started heading forwards from there.

On the days the weather wasn't good enough to do prep on the aircraft some of the access panels that were showing signs of corrosion were removed and worked on in the hangar.

As the months have gone by when the weather has played ball and we haven't been doing other work more areas of the jet have been sanded.

So that's pretty much as far as we have got with the paint prep, as you can imagine not much has been done over the winter months but once it stops chucking it down or blowing a gale we will get back at it and fingers crossed the repaint will happen during the summer.

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Superb update thanks as ever for sharing!

TT

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Ditto, looking forward to the next update :clap:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

MCB

Post by MCB »

Scott,

Firstly, well done on looking after the old girl. I can see she needs some TLC. Secondly (by way of information, not criticism!) I take issue with the statement:

>XV168 became the last Buccaneer to leave Brough (and the only one to leave twice).

A goodly number of Buccs made the journey from Brough to HOSM more than once, for various reasons. A few examples:-

XK525 - Brough to HOSM 12.7.60 and 26.6.70 (for JP233 ground testing).
XK526 - Brough to HOSM 26.8.60 (as S.1), 7.5.63 (as S.2 proto) .
XK527 - Brough to HOSM 6.10.60 (as S.1), 7.7.63 (as S.2 2nd proto).
XK531 - Brough to HOSM 30.3.61, 14.11.65 (after Mods).
XK532 - Brough to HOSM 29.4.61 and again 21.3.65.

XN925 - Brough to HOSM 15.4.62 and again 26.10.63 (after Mods).

XN976 - Brough to HOSM 12.7.64 and again 18.2.71 (Martel).

Also many more....

An example of one that did the journey 3 times:-

XT281 Brough to HOSM 12.10.65 (new), 28.3.71 (Martel), 25.3.73 (full S.2B).

Keep up the good work looking after XV168!

Cheers,

Mike

BuccaneerBoy

Post by BuccaneerBoy »

So.....

As those of you who follow the restoration of Meteor WS788 will probably know i have started to prep work to repaint XV168. This was initially started way back before the dreaded Covid struck and then stalled due to lack of funding and my ongoing work on the restoration of 788 with Graham. I've been keeping up on jobs on XN974 and XX901 but poor old 168 has taken a bit of a back seat for a while....but no more :)

So this is a bit of a update on the work so far, I will try to keep updating the progress on here, honest !

ImageBucc 168 repaint by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

So this is where we were at before the hard work began, 168 was moved closer to the hangar so we were closer to the power sockets for the sanders.

The first area tackled was the port side area below the intake and forward area of the bomb door

Yours truly making a start on the starboard rear fuselage area, we quickly discovered that the green paint was sanding very easily for a nice keying surface, but the grey is awful and is taking some serious sanding to get to a good surface to paint onto.

A nice big chunk prepped.

Graham lending a hand on an area of the fin, bloody good of him as he wasn't feeling on top form that day.

Turns out the ILS aerial makes a handy rest for your sander too :laughing:

and the end result of our work in that area.

The next area tackled was the starboard side intake and fuselage aft of that, you can see in the these pictures just how much more sanding is required in the grey areas compared to the green.

And so to last weekends work, spent Saturday 25/2/23 helping prep for the museums night shoot which involved a few different aircraft including XN974 looking resplendent in the winter sunshine.

But on Sunday 26/2/23 it was back to prep on 168. I managed to get the inboard section of the wing done before one of the regular winter rain showers we get in Yorkshire stopped play.

So there we are, that's you all caught up on the progress so far. If you want me to keep updating you all on the progress of the work on 168, plus 974 and 901, let me know.

Cheers

Scott

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Looking great Scott! Is that black etch you’re using?

ATB TT

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

Good to see the work being put in to look after this aircraft, and please keep the updates coming when you are able.
Thank you.

BuccaneerBoy

Post by BuccaneerBoy »

TEXANTOMCAT wrote:
Sat 04 Mar 2023, 4:27 pm
Looking great Scott! Is that black etch you’re using?

ATB TT
It certainly is, just covering any areas where we’ve gone through the primer under the old paint.

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Great job chap 👍

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

The old girl has been waiting patiently for her new clothes. Finally, it's happening!
Shack WR963, Coventry

BuccaneerBoy

Post by BuccaneerBoy »

Another big milestone in the restoration project today.

XV168 is indoors for the first time in a very long time.

ImageXV168 indoors by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

We carry on with the paint prep now without the weather throwing a spanner in the works.

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Now there's a sight to warm the heart!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

BuccaneerBoy

Post by BuccaneerBoy »

Right then, update time from last weekends work, well i say weekend it was actually Friday/Saturday/Sunday as I has a very rare day away from the day job on Friday, so this wont be any particular order as all 3 days just seamed to have rolled into one by Sunday afternoon.

As you may have seen if you keep upto date with Meteor 788's restoration, Graham has spent a bit of time between Meteor jobs tackling the airbrakes and get a large chunk of them prepped and ready for paint.

They had gained a fair bit of life while she was parked out the back of the hangar.

But Graham soon got rid of that and the airbrakes are now starting to look much healthier.

The first of the areas i started to tackle was the starboard upper wing surface which a good day and a half to get done.

Kane from the Meteor team was helping me on Saturday and between us both we got the starboard rear fuselage finished off and I got a large part of the spine done too. so we got to somewhere around here.

Sunday I carried on by finishing off a small area above the starboard jet pipe and then moved onto the starboard intake down under the wing.

A big thank you to Steve and Martin who did some more prep on the lower rear fuselage (which I forgot to take photos of).

And that in a nutshell is 3 days work. That's it for now folks, more updates soon.

Cheers

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

The starboard airbrake is completed, its pal on the port side will be done very soon!
Shack WR963, Coventry

BuccaneerBoy

Post by BuccaneerBoy »

Right time for an update

Yesterday Graham and Mick were in carrying on with the prep work. Mick finished off the starboard lower fuselage and made a start on the underside of the starboard wing. The upper surface of the port and starboard ailerons and flaps had been done by Steve and Martin on Thursday so big thank you to them.

Onto todays work.

First job over a cuppa was to open this nice find from a well know internet auction site. Its one of the comm boxes missing from the cockpit, the even nicer thing is it was removed from 168 not long before her retirement from service so its nice that it will be reunited with the jet.

Mick has prepped the underside of the starboard wing and then moved onto the port underside. once that was all done he then went and tackled the starboard side of the fin and the underside of the tail plane.

Damian tackled the inboard section of the port wing and after that went and tackled the upper inboard section of the port wing and carried on prepping the spine and going over some of the area we had prepped before covid that needed going over again.

Tom finished off the lower port fuselage aft of the bomb bay and then cleaned off all the old sticky hyd oil areas under the front fuselage.

Graham carried on tackling the corrosion in the port undercarriage bay and then moved onto the starboard side.

Graham has done a brilliant job in the port bay.

I started going back over the front fuselage areas that had been done over 2 years ago starting on the starboard side and then going round to the port side (which I forgot to actually photograph !).

The nose cone fitted to 168 isn't in the best of condition and needs quiet a bit of work, so we decided to check the condition of our spare and as it was found to be far better than the one fitted it was off with the nose to reveal the Blue Parrot radar (the dish isn't fitted and nobody seams to know where it went, it did come with the aircraft).

And on with the spare, Graham just persuading the last of the catches to fit properly.

Once on I got it prepped. the jet not often seen from this angle.

At the end of the day we got a quick team photo. L to R Graham, Damian, Myself, Tom and Mick. A great team effort today, and we will be back at it tomorrow.