Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Agg
UKAR Staff

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Post by Agg »

Things are looking pretty grim at the moment here in Norway. As of six o'clock this evening Norway is in full lock down - this means that all kindergartens, schools, universities and colleges are closed. All public events are cancelled, restaurants, pubs, bars and clubs are closed. Gyms, hair dressers, tattoo parlors and any other place where you might get in close contact with other people are closed.

All forms of travel, both abroad and domestic, is strongly advised against. Public transportation and places where you might get in close contact with other people should be avoided. Any Norwegian citizens returning from travels outside the Nordic coutries will be put into a 14 day quarantine, any foreginers who travel to Norway will be returned to their country of origin.

So far we've only had one fatality here in Norway, but with Italy reporting more than a thousand dead today this is starting to get a bit scary. I'm really happy the Norwegian government went with a full lock down today, even though it might have been a bit late.

I think there's a good chance we'll see quite a few airshows cancelled because of the coronavirus, especially considering that it's still spreading like wild fire across the continent.

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

Does the Norway lock down include stopping people attending funerals ?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I know it's serious but......

UK Virus alert
The English are feeling the pinch in relation to the current situation and have therefore raised the threat alert from “Miffed” to “Peeved”; it may soon be raised further to “A bit cross”.

The English have not been “A bit cross” since 1940 when the tea supplies nearly ran out.

The virus has been recategorised from “Tiresome” to “A Bloomin' Nuisance” – a description last used in1588 when the Spanish Armada was in the Channel

The Scots have raised their threat level from “p {you know!) off” to “let’s get the b123123”. They don’t have any other levels, which is the reason they have been the front line of the British Army for the last 300 years.

The French government has announced that it has raised its level from “run” to “hide”; there are only 2 higher, "collaborate" and "surrender". The rise was predicated by a fire which burnt down the French white flag factory so paralysing their military capability.

Italy as moved from ”Shout Loudly” to “Elaborate military posturing” and may move further to “Ineffective military operations “or “Change sides”.

The Germans have increased from “Disdainful arrogance” to “Dress in uniform and sing marching songs” but may have to move to “Invade a neighbour” or, eventually, “Lose”

The Spanish Navy are excited about the new submarines, the ones with glass bottoms so the new Spanish Navy can see the old Spanish Navy.

Australia has moved from “No worries” to “She’ll be alright, Bruce”. There is the risk that the next level “We’ll need to cancel the Barbie this weekend” but unlikely the final level “The Barbie is cancelled" will be invoked.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

This is not even mildly funny, sorry mate

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

I chuckled!! :grin:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

I smiled too.

Not officially an airshow but

Announcement just made by Temora Aviation Museum regarding March 21 Aircraft Showcase.

COVID-19 UPDATE

The Museum has been receiving calls regarding the March 21 Showcase considering the current COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation.

Unfortunately due to recommendations from the Australian Government advising against non-essential organised gatherings of 500 or more people from Monday 16th March, we regret to inform you that the March 21 Showcase has been cancelled

CJS

Post by CJS »

Georgeconna wrote:I chuckled!! :grin:

Yup, me too :lol:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Berf

Post by Berf »

Agg wrote:Things are looking pretty grim at the moment here in Norway. As of six o'clock this evening Norway is in full lock down - this means that all kindergartens, schools, universities and colleges are closed. All public events are cancelled, restaurants, pubs, bars and clubs are closed. Gyms, hair dressers, tattoo parlors and any other place where you might get in close contact with other people are closed.

All forms of travel, both abroad and domestic, is strongly advised against. Public transportation and places where you might get in close contact with other people should be avoided. Any Norwegian citizens returning from travels outside the Nordic coutries will be put into a 14 day quarantine, any foreginers who travel to Norway will be returned to their country of origin.

So far we've only had one fatality here in Norway, but with Italy reporting more than a thousand dead today this is starting to get a bit scary. I'm really happy the Norwegian government went with a full lock down today, even though it might have been a bit late.

I think there's a good chance we'll see quite a few airshows cancelled because of the coronavirus, especially considering that it's still spreading like wild fire across the continent.

That won't do you any good - all these Norwegians coming back from shopping in Sweden will simply bring it in as Sweden has its head in the sand as usual and is more interested in not spending any money instead of caring for its population

R4118

Post by R4118 »

I think airshows in may and june will suffer from this bug and get cancelled.
I hope that things will get back to normal after that, but restrictions of all sorts will still be applicable. And maybe for outdoor events the restrictions will be lifted somewhat.
Other question is whether air forces will be willing to send their pilots and crews over to a foreign nation as long as there is a chance of contamination.

So lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Americans started cancelling their shows
13/14 March 2020, MCAS Yuma (AZ)
14 March 2020, 50th Annual Air Show at NAF El Centro (CA)
28/29 March 2020, AirFest at March ARB (CA)

At the moment we can wave good bye to any decient US, or Asian , or Italian or... participation in the UK this year. Lets hope that changes?
Iainpeden , I thought it was funny....

EGLL

Post by EGLL »

CJS wrote:
EGLL wrote:"Give us your freedom and we will protect you"

:dunno:

This whole Covid-19 thing was pre-planned. Create a problem, glean the reaction the offer the solution. It's so bloody obvious.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

And that is the problem when the earth is flat. :hide:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

EGLL wrote:
CJS wrote:

This whole Covid-19 thing was pre-planned. Create a problem, glean the reaction the offer the solution. It's so bloody obvious.

If only it targeted the stupid

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

UPDATE: Wings Over Illawarra 2020 organisors have just announced that given the developments today regarding COVID-19 and large public gatherings that they are currently considering option for WOI2020 to be postponed and will provide updates as soon as a decision has been made.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

We have been asked to share the following statement on behalf of The Shuttleworth Collection :

The Shuttleworth Trust is formulating policy based on Government advice. We are keeping up to date with that advice.

We are planning to hold all our air shows and this won’t change unless there is a clear direction from Government.

Some of our staff and volunteers may have been advised to self-isolate at that time, so we will deliver everything we can with the staff and volunteers we have.

Since we have nine shows in the diary, we won’t postpone any shows if Government policy directs a cancellation – we’ll simply run the next show in the series that we are able. (First Sunday and third Saturday May, June, July; August + Flying Proms, First Sunday September, October).

Tickets for any cancelled shows at the start of the season will certainly be transferable to later shows that are able to run. We are just planning our refund policy for virus-related cancellation at the moment and will announce it at the beginning of April, one month before our first show.

The Shuttleworth Trust is very reliant on air show revenue to keep our fabulous collection going, so we hope the air show audience will continue to support us by attending our events.

Keep calm, wash your hands, and carry on!
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

EGLL wrote:This whole Covid-19 thing was pre-planned. Create a problem, glean the reaction the offer the solution. It's so bloody obvious.

:lmao:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Good update from Shuttleworth, good to see they will allow tickets at future events if cancelled!
Thomas

CJS

Post by CJS »

EGLL wrote:
CJS wrote:

I presume you're being silly, if not then :dizzy:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Tom105 wrote:Good update from Shuttleworth, good to see they will allow tickets at future events if cancelled!

Yep - really nice update. You've got to feel for organisations like them - one bad year could be crippling. I plan to support them any way I can!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

A very simple answer, yes. Airshows are not immune from the virus.

adam2628

Post by adam2628 »

CJS wrote:
EGLL wrote:
CJS wrote:

I presume you're being silly, if not then :dizzy:

'being silly', that's very polite, I can't say that was the first thing that sprung to my mind :lol:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Oh heck, a conspiracy theory.

Aside from that and back the the real world, the risk to events is not going to be in the gathering of people on an airfield, that's not risky at all. It'll be in the availability of key people and resources to administer and perform in it.

Time will tell, its just too early to assume anything at all.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

It's easy to say that it's a gathering at an airfield but we all know about the "scrum" for the crowd line. The acres of airfield behind you makes little difference when you are "shoulder to shoulder, lens to lens" and the loos? not the cleanest of places at many shows.

It will be very interesting to see what the crowd line looks like at any Spring Shows that do go ahead.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

pbeardmore wrote:It's easy to say that it's a gathering at an airfield but we all know about the "scrum" for the crowd line. The acres of airfield behind you makes little difference when you are "shoulder to shoulder, lens to lens" and the loos? not the cleanest of places at many shows.

It will be very interesting to see what the crowd line looks like at any Spring Shows that do go ahead.

Maybe if the crowds are down the 'shoulder to shoulder scrum' won't happen, and everyone will have space to swing their lens.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Ewart wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:It's easy to say that it's a gathering at an airfield but we all know about the "scrum" for the crowd line. The acres of airfield behind you makes little difference when you are "shoulder to shoulder, lens to lens" and the loos? not the cleanest of places at many shows.

Maybe if the crowds are down the 'shoulder to shoulder scrum' won't happen, and everyone will have space to swing their lens.

my feeling is they will still go ahead.
the peak is 10-14 weeks away so they say, by which point containing it (which effectively they have stopped now) will be partially irrelevant if they want us to build immunity (which it seems they want us to do). event's won't be cancelled because of virus spread by that stage but more likely because they can't get enough staff etc in to cover them.