Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Witchcraft24

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Nobody can say that any large event going forward WILL happen, the best they can say is that they are still planning to hold a particular event. This situation is so dynamic - look at where we were two months ago- how can anybody say with any certainty where we will be in two days time, let alone 2 or 3 months.

Until it looks as though COVID19 is under control globally all bets are off. It’s a rolling situation - personally I think all large events in May and June are toast, but who knows.

harkins

Post by harkins »

It's reached a point now where I couldn't give a rats arse whether RIAT gets cancelled or not. And I am not remotely interested in whether I'd get refunded or not. All I'm interested in is whether my parents survive this and whether I'll ever see them again and whether anyone is going to still have a job by the time a vaccine or treatment is available.

I have an utter feeling of dread. The atmosphere when I was out shopping this morning is awful. Apart from certain items being unavailable in all four of my local supermarkets - including the apparently vital hand washes and sanitisers, people were walking around and you could sense the fear of people getting too close to each other.

The stripped shelves and the palpable fear put me in mind of the saying 72 hours from anarchy:

“72 hours” from anarchy. A study conducted about eight years ago noted that the majority of people have enough food in their homes to feed their household for about three days, and that seemingly stable societies are really just nine meals from anarchy

To me it feels like a Cuban missile crisis level of fear that will last for months and months and won't end in relief so much as grief. I keep thinking of the public service broadcasts for how to survive a nuclear attack and watching When the Wind Blows as a kid and the utter futility of the governments advice. God help us all.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

harkins wrote:The atmosphere when I was out shopping this morning is awful. Apart from certain items being unavailable in all four of my local supermarkets - including the apparently vital hand washes and sanitisers, people were walking around and you could sense the fear of people getting too close to each other.

To be honest, I get the feeling that you might just live in an area full of overly paranoid people, it’s not like that at all here.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

harkins wrote:It's reached a point now where I couldn't give a rats arse whether RIAT gets cancelled or not. And I am not remotely interested in whether I'd get refunded or not. All I'm interested in is whether my parents survive this and whether I'll ever see them again and whether anyone is going to still have a job by the time a vaccine or treatment is available.

I have an utter feeling of dread. The atmosphere when I was out shopping this morning is awful. Apart from certain items being unavailable in all four of my local supermarkets - including the apparently vital hand washes and sanitisers, people were walking around and you could sense the fear of people getting too close to each other.

The stripped shelves and the palpable fear put me in mind of the saying 72 hours from anarchy:

“72 hours” from anarchy. A study conducted about eight years ago noted that the majority of people have enough food in their homes to feed their household for about three days, and that seemingly stable societies are really just nine meals from anarchy

To me it feels like a Cuban missile crisis level of fear that will last for months and months and won't end in relief so much as grief. I keep thinking of the public service broadcasts for how to survive a nuclear attack and watching When the Wind Blows as a kid and the utter futility of the governments advice. God help us all.

I think you're being unneccessarily pessimistic. I'm hopeful that by taking measures now then by May/June time we be on track to returning to some semblance of normality.

Yes, events have been cancelled/postponed and many more will be but at the moment my biggest concern is the selfish panic-buying idiots that create shortages with their stupid behaviour.

The chances of becoming infected are still pretty low and all we can do is follow the NHS/government advice and keep calm.

I'm saying this as an asthma sufferer and my wife is type 1 diabetic so we are aware of our vulnerability but that isn't stopping us trying to carry on with as normal a life as we can.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

DerekF wrote:
harkins wrote:It's reached a point now where I couldn't give a rats arse whether RIAT gets cancelled or not. And I am not remotely interested in whether I'd get refunded or not. All I'm interested in is whether my parents survive this and whether I'll ever see them again and whether anyone is going to still have a job by the time a vaccine or treatment is available.

I think you're being unneccessarily pessimistic. I'm hopeful that by taking measures now then by May/June time we be on track to returning to some semblance of normality.

Yes, events have been cancelled/postponed and many more will be but at the moment my biggest concern is the selfish panic-buying idiots that create shortages with their stupid behaviour.

The chances of becoming infected are still pretty low and all we can do is follow the NHS/government advice and keep calm.

I'm saying this as an asthma sufferer and my wife is type 1 diabetic so we are aware of our vulnerability but that isn't stopping us trying to carry on with as normal a life as we can.

Couldn't have put it better.

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Totally agree :smile:
Panic buyers are adding to the problem - Totally brain dead Morons :mad: :mad:

Keep calm and Carry on.

Obviosly we all have to take sensible precautions, but life must go on !!

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

chipmunk22 wrote:Totally agree :smile:
Panic buyers are adding to the problem - Totally brain dead Morons :mad: :mad:

Keep calm and Carry on.

Obviosly we all have to take sensible precautions, but life must go on !!

Quite agree. It’s unfortunate that some people’s idea of taking “sensible precautions” is buying six months’ supply of toilet roll and clearing supermarket shelves of soap bottled in dispensers, whilst there’s tons of soap tablets left on shelves three feet away, but we will get through this. Yes, life will be less enjoyable for most of us for a while (no air shows, no football or rugby, etc.), but that will be a small price to pay for keeping this virus in check and keeping the level of infection - and fatalities - to a minimum.

And at the end of the day, more people will die this winter from influenza and pneumonia, as they always do. And the vast majority of people who get COVID-19 will get better. Some will get it, get better, and not even know for definite if they had it or not. Those of us who are, or who look after vulnerable people, need to be extra careful, but still most will get through. My Dad is 90, knows he needs to take care, but is taking a stoic view of it all (then again, he spent night after night in an air raid shelter in 1940 whilst the Luftwaffe bombed the **** out of London, so he’s seen far worse).

And if the 2019-20 Premier League season is declared null and void, and Liverpool don’t get crowned champions despite having a 25 point lead, we won’t know whether to laugh or cry.
Last edited by Ken Shabby on Sat 14 Mar 2020, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Tmyers123 wrote:
harkins wrote:The atmosphere when I was out shopping this morning is awful. Apart from certain items being unavailable in all four of my local supermarkets - including the apparently vital hand washes and sanitisers, people were walking around and you could sense the fear of people getting too close to each other.

To be honest, I get the feeling that you might just live in an area full of overly paranoid people, it’s not like that at all here.

Ditto. Local pub had the usual people in it yesterday evening. Keep calm and carry on pouring antiseptic beverages down your throat. :up:

BobL

Post by BobL »

Some seem to be working to this plan...

Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

The totally inept local government of Berlin - not to be confused with the totally inept German government - have decided to ban all activies with more than 50 participants until the 19th of April which over here is the end of the Easter school holidays. This includes pubs, clubs and brothels............

There is no news as to whether the ILA will go ahead this year.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

From ITV :- "People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months, under a "wartime-style" mobilisation effort by the government likely to be enforced within the next 20 days."

No mention in the article of "large" events being stopped.

Rich.B

Post by Rich.B »

IP1960 wrote:From ITV :- "People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months, under a "wartime-style" mobilisation effort by the government likely to be enforced within the next 20 days."

So we lock our parents up.
We carry on as normal, go too airshows or other public events. Pick up the virus and then go to visit our lock down parents and transmit the virus to them.
Be a bit un lucky if your a week aeay from the 4 month shut down and your kids give it you. After going to a concert or airshow.
Pointless exercise.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Rich.B wrote:
IP1960 wrote:From ITV :- "People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months, under a "wartime-style" mobilisation effort by the government likely to be enforced within the next 20 days."

So we lock our parents up.
We carry on as normal, go too airshows or other public events. Pick up the virus and then go to visit our lock down parents and transmit the virus to them.
Be a bit un lucky if your a week aeay from the 4 month shut down and your kids give it you. After going to a concert or airshow.
Pointless exercise.

If your parents are living in strict isolation, that means you can't have direct contact with them. Otherwise there's no point in it.

The bottom line is this virus will go through the population. Obviously not everyone will get it, but the virus will only stop when it has nowhere to go, and that happens when the population is immune. In the meantime the hospitals will be overrun with people needing attention. Makeshift wards will be set up to accommodate who they can, and care priority will be given to those under 65 years of age. That is why the elderly are being told to isolate, and why you can't have direct contact with them during that time.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Rich.B wrote: Pick up the virus and then go to visit our lock down parents and transmit the virus to them.

What...what do you think lockdown means?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

In the near future some very hard decisions will have to be made, especially if you have elderly relatives living nearby, or indeed share a dwelling-house with such a person.
Clearly, if they are able to cope on their own, dress & feed themselves you could do worse than stay away. If you live with an 'at-risk' person you will have to go into self/ mandated isolation too?
The hardest situation is for full-time carers of the elderly, if you're with a relative then you can't risk going out for any reason. If you rely on care-visits, then frankly they have to stop!
Probably the real crunch for the 'at-risk' population is when they/you can't have supplies for them delivered to the doorstep by the likes of Ocado. Sadly, many people don't see their elderly friends & relatives as often as they should, but for the hereon until the all-clear then it's definitely NOT the time to change your habits.
If any events proceed that I intend to visit, I for one will be only telephoning my tribe or video-calling! :wink:

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Obviously haven't considered those over-70s like me who have to work to make ends meet since my state pension alone is not sufficient to cover my living expenses and my savings would be gone in a few weeks...…

I'm sure I am far from alone in that situation.

Oh, and as a sheet metal worker, "working from home" is impossible.

Before someone comes back at me with "You should have saved for a rainy day", circumstances prevented that (private renting, child maintainance payments, divorce costs etc.).
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Wissam24 wrote:
Rich.B wrote: Pick up the virus and then go to visit our lock down parents and transmit the virus to them.

What...what do you think lockdown means?

I think you've accidentally hit on a very important point there. In China they were able to use their totalitarian regime to have a 100% water tight lock down. Try to do that in the UK and people will just go "Pfft - I'm not in the vulnerable group - I'm not sitting in the house for 2 weeks bored out of my skull."

Similarly closing schools won't achieve anything as the kids will just be out hanging out with their usual mates in shopping malls and parks the same as they are now on evenings and weekends.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I was about to say how are they going to enforce isolation? The NHS is short of staff, we haven't got enough officials to Police the roads properly let alone anything else, What's the alternative...call in the Army? Road blocks?

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

PeteM wrote:I was about to say how are they going to enforce isolation? The NHS is short of staff, we haven't got enough officials to Police the roads properly let alone anything else, What's the alternative...call in the Army? Road blocks?

Are you planning on shooting relatives visiting the elderly or the elderly if they are found to be wandering the streets ?
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

ThreeM

Post by ThreeM »

The spread of the virus will continue apace during the week. It's Mothering Sunday in a week's time so it would be prudent to review whether a visit to see a vulnerable mother is a good idea this year, however well-intentioned. Covid-19 is not the kind of gift to pass around on such an occasion...

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Sadly I cannot trust the majority of the UK population to do the right thing in these situations.

This morning I am seriously considering moving out for a few months as I live with my parents who are both over 70 with significant underlying health issues. My job involves (unless I get a temporary stop on it) entering peoples properties and I've found they don't care if they're ill or not, they just want us to attend to get their application complete - they will lie (and do regularly) to make that happen. I am right now therefore at high risk of catching this virus and I must be sensible by taking the appropriate precautions. If I transmitted it to them I would never forgive myself.

Right now airshows are the least of my worries and, from the peak the government is expecting, I sadly don't expect any shows to actually go ahead until at least August or September.

Andy

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

ericbee123 wrote:
PeteM wrote:I was about to say how are they going to enforce isolation? The NHS is short of staff, we haven't got enough officials to Police the roads properly let alone anything else, What's the alternative...call in the Army? Road blocks?

Are you planning on shooting relatives visiting the elderly or the elderly if they are found to be wandering the streets ?

I was making the point that in this country it isn't going to happen.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

As with any national situation, you have a percentage of the population that will act responsibly and a percentage who dont. The government's job is to do their best to maximise the former. That's why they are repeating the "WASH YOUR HANDS" message over and over and over again. To try to get the message through to those who have not understood a simple instruction the first time they heard it.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

DerekF wrote:

A thousand times agreed Derek. All we can do is be sensible in the short term and see what transpires. There's an awful lot of guessing going on at the moment.

As for the panic buying, having witnessed it in my local Sainbugs yesterday, I am absolutely lost for any sort of idea as to why these morons are stockpiling bog roll. Dried pasta, likewise. Everything else in the shop was there in ample quantity. Loonies.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Wrexham Mackem wrote: I am absolutely lost for any sort of idea as to why these morons are stockpiling bog roll. Dried pasta, likewise. Everything else in the shop was there in ample quantity. Loonies.

Isn't something to do with herd mentality. One animal does something and the rest follows. A post on social media about one person bulk buying loo rolls, the rest follows.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook