RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"Requiem for RIAT" - Tom Jones looks at the cancellation of RIAT in light of the COVID-19 crisis.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I thought that was perfectly written. Not afraid to say I got slightly emotional reading it.

Anyway hopefully we all come through this horrible period and can look forward to next years show.

Luigi

Post by Luigi »

capercaillie wrote:
It will more than likely be over before RIAT 2020 would have happened, but the knock on effect with everything will take a lot longer to get back into place.

I'm just disappointed that the park and view isn't going to be filled with desperate togs all fully dressed in hazmat suits roasting in 30 degrees temperatures most of the day, then cursing the sheet of lies when the Pakistani Herc arrives late listed as an Italian again as they trudge back to their cars.

What's the betting the week it would have been will be glorious wall to wall sunshine this year? :tumbleweed:

It will not be over in July. Indeed it is just bit more than a cold for healthy people, but older people and those suffering from other pathologies will die at a very alarming pace or need intensive therapy. Differently from a flu it seems that this covid spreads very easily and therefore there will be many casualties. In Italy workers escaped from Lombardia and sought shelter at their parents' home in the south. The result is that now south of Italy is experiencing a steep increase of covid cases among old people. Jung ones do not even know they're carrying the virus. THe governament should have stopped everything (every movement, activity etc.) from the very beginning. But it did not, because of course the real theat can not be ecvaluated so easily.

It will take a couple of months before the peak is reached and some more to have normalisation. So let's say 5 months. Then countries will reopen the borders.
UK is 2 months behind Italy, and it seems that your gov. it taking a soft approach. This means that in July the situation will not be normalized yet. I do not even know if I will be able to go home in summer.

I am very sad as most people here.

(Sorry for posting tha here and not in the covid thread. I just wanted to reply to Capercaillie. If moderators find it inappropriate do not hesitate to cancel it).

G67

Post by G67 »

MiG_Eater wrote:Extremely sad, but not unexpected. RIAT is always the highlight of my year. Come July I think those that complained about last years airshow may suddenly realise how incredibly good it was.

RIAT 2019: better than no show at all.

Damning with faint praise!

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

G67 wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:Extremely sad, but not unexpected. RIAT is always the highlight of my year. Come July I think those that complained about last years airshow may suddenly realise how incredibly good it was.

RIAT 2019: better than no show at all.

Damning with faint praise!

:lol:

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Late to this as I explained elsewhere - feel like I have woken from a dream into a nightmare - fully understandable but bet they will try to make 21 even better than this year would have been - if there is an economy left of course.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Luigi wrote:It will not be over in July. Indeed it is just bit more than a cold for healthy people, but older people and those suffering from other pathologies will die at a very alarming pace or need intensive therapy. Differently from a flu it seems that this covid spreads very easily and therefore there will be many casualties. In Italy workers escaped from Lombardia and sought shelter at their parents' home in the south. The result is that now south of Italy is experiencing a steep increase of covid cases among old people. Young ones do not even know they're carrying the virus.

That makes truly chilling reading.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Update from RIAT FB

Update on Refunds for RIAT 2020: Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding the cancellation of the Air Tattoo. We are working on our refund process and if you purchased tickets you will receive an email next week advising you of the next steps.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Air Tattoo Supporters,

Thank you very much for your patience at this most difficult of times.

Since the cancellation of the 2020 Air Tattoo, we have received requests from customers about refunds and the possibility of rolling tickets forward for Air Tattoo 2021 - our 50th Anniversary. Consequently, the team has been working hard to establish a way to make the process as simple as possible.

I am pleased to say that our ticketing portal is being developed to allow you to select a ticket refund or roll-over option. This will be an automated system, rather than having to contact our customer services department, and will be live in mid-May. We will send you an e-mail next month with further instructions and to confirm when the system will activate. We have also had requests on donating to our parent charity, the RAF Charitable Trust, and this option is covered in our Q&A here.

As a result of the cancellation of the Air Tattoo, and like many companies across the country, we have placed the majority of RAFCTE employees on furlough leave as part of the government's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. This means that we will have limited website and social media updates and our normal company services, including the customer services team, will not be available. Please rest assured our absolute priority is to deliver a fantastic 50th Anniversary Air Tattoo in 2021 and our normal services will resume as soon as circumstances permit.

I would like to thank you, our loyal customers, our sponsors and commercial partners, our suppliers and, of course, our volunteers and permanent team at this trying time. Thank you for your forbearance. Please keep safe and, on behalf of the whole Air Tattoo team, I wish you and your families well. I look forward to confirming when our automatic ticket system is live and to a spectacular Golden Jubilee next year.

Best Wishes and Thank You

Paul Atherton
CEO, RAFCTE

https://www.airtattoo.com/news/2020/apr ... ed-support

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I wonder if seat requests etc will be carried over to next year?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

G-CVIX wrote:I wonder if seat requests etc will be carried over to next year?

As in FRIAT? I think it would be fair to assume that the full state of affairs from this year would be carried over lock stock and barrel to next year. Its the easiest way, effectively a 12 month postponement. So in that case the answer would be yes, our booking forms will be processed in exactly the same way, and the renewal priority, requests etc all stand.

I'm assuming of course, and I'm sure Wendy will be back with real facts in due course, but that would seem the way to do it.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I can't see a return to normal at RIAT or any other massed gathering due to this virus I have seen speculation that you/ us/ we may need to prove we do not have a virus before attending any venue - how they will do that I have no idea.

Life has changed for ever I fear.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Yay, morning Mr Positive. Woop woop :win:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

IATthenRIAT wrote:I can't see a return to normal at RIAT or any other massed gathering due to this virus I have seen speculation that you/ us/ we may need to prove we do not have a virus before attending any venue - how they will do that I have no idea.

How does this post help anyone?

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Mr. Positive has given us,his words of wisdom,or is this more of his unfounded "Kris Kris Tofferson!"?. :pinkwafer:

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:I wonder if seat requests etc will be carried over to next year?

As in FRIAT? I think it would be fair to assume that the full state of affairs from this year would be carried over lock stock and barrel to next year. Its the easiest way, effectively a 12 month postponement. So in that case the answer would be yes, our booking forms will be processed in exactly the same way, and the renewal priority, requests etc all stand.

I'm assuming of course, and I'm sure Wendy will be back with real facts in due course, but that would seem the way to do it.

Hopefully the Viewing Village Grandstand seats will roll over too. I would be happy to roll over my tickets to next year if that was the case.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

CJS wrote:Yay, morning Mr Positive. Woop woop :win:

I will leave you dreaming about the future with RIAT good luck but stay safe.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Airshowhammer wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:I can't see a return to normal at RIAT or any other massed gathering due to this virus I have seen speculation that you/ us/ we may need to prove we do not have a virus before attending any venue - how they will do that I have no idea.

How does this post help anyone?

Depends if you are a dreamer of a realist some of us have to face the truth not live in a fantasy world where things will go back to normal - never gonna happen buddy, stay safe.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

RAF4EVER wrote:Mr. Positive has given us,his words of wisdom,or is this more of his unfounded "Kris Kris Tofferson!"?. :pinkwafer:

View it however you want just dont expect normal life to resume - aint gonna happen, stay safe.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
RAF4EVER wrote:Mr. Positive has given us,his words of wisdom,or is this more of his unfounded "Kris Kris Tofferson!"?. :pinkwafer:

View it however you want just dont expect normal life to resume - aint gonna happen, stay safe.

:tumbleweed:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

:tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:
Got to love Russianhardware

CJS

Post by CJS »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
CJS wrote:Yay, morning Mr Positive. Woop woop :win:

I will leave you dreaming about the future with RIAT good luck but stay safe.

I,umm, yep. Ok... :dunno:

JJC

Post by JJC »

Absolute nonsense.

There is an entire thread where you can air your dystopian fetishes to your heart’s content.

This has jack-all to do with RIAT specifically.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

CJS

Post by CJS »

He started it...

Actually, I quite like the idea of a 'dystopian RIAT fetish' thread :up:

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Pervert :smile: :smile: :smile: