A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Blue_2

Re: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Post by Blue_2 »

Steve Bond wrote:Very nice, looks really good. I assume the rather odd looking camouflage colours are down to your camera.

Indeed, I hadn't noticed just how odd it had turned the colours until chatting with IanF of the Victor team and this forum last night!

Malcolm, as soon as possible normal service will be resumed. Not having the opportunity to drop vital 2ba screws into inaccessible parts of a 66 year old jet and then deploy many rude words is driving me mad!!
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

Blue: while you are chafing at the bit to get back to work, I wonder if I already sent you this photo I took of NF12 WS686 on the fire dump at Northolt in 1959. You might want it in your collection that you illustrated here a couple of weeks ago. Above all, stay safe.
Laurence

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Laurence, I believe you did show us it previously. I have downloaded it and will print a hard copy off for the archive folder at some point, thankyou for that. Sad to see the 12 in that condition. So many useful parts too! Oh, for a TARDIS...

Today's update has a Finningley flavour to it. Firstly, the model F.8 I am building, which is our 8, formerly displayed on the main gate at Finningley until the station's closure. It's now got its serials and unit letters applied

I was tempted to apply the jet's real serial, WL168, but she is displayed as WK864 so that's what I went for in the end.
On the Finningley theme, one of my "get a round tuit" jobs has been putting my framed posters from Finningley, Waddington and Elvington airshows (remember them?!) on the wall. While putting up the Finningley '93 poster, I spotted a familiar shape which had previously escaped my attention...
I assume that's what was last the Classic Flight NF.11 depicted out beyond the Hunter; I was at that show as a 12 year old and I assume if the NF was indeed there, that was likely my first encounter with an NF.
27 years later, it seems I know the things all too well!!!
Shack WR963, Coventry

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Sadly it may have just been a bit or artistic licence on the part of the artwork producer, as no Meteor is listed as a participant for that show Graham :(

https://www.scramble.nl/?option=com_showreports&view=article&ct=GB&id=1261
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

I wonder if it was intended/hoped to appear at the time the artwork specs were sent out? Seems a strange type to choose at random...
Shack WR963, Coventry

Malcolm McKay

Post by Malcolm McKay »

They must have really supercharged the engine in the SE5A :biggrin:

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

And wake turbulence would have been quite an issue as well :lmao:
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Lovely work on the mini-Meatbox matey

TT

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Malcolm McKay wrote:They must have really supercharged the engine in the SE5A :biggrin:

You want optimism? Try the 1987 show poster. A Harrier and a Tornado F.3 keeping pace with an SR-71 in full burner!!

Cheers TT!
Shack WR963, Coventry

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

More progress this afternoon on the F.8. The engine covers, elevators, ailerons, gun doors, jetpipe caps and airbrakes were painted...
As were the underwing tanks and belly tank.
You may have noticed our 8 doesn't have these items fitted; we have a brand new belly tank coming for 788 so her old belly tank will go on the 8. We have underwing tanks for 788; assuming we can repatriate the other set gifted to us by Malta they will go on 168.
One nice thing about this kit is the amount of choice. Either you can build your model stripped down for major servicing...
Or fully buttoned up and ready to go!
I'll leave as much stuff unglued as I can on this build. That way I can show it as complete or as stripped back as I like! Later in the afternoon the tail feathers went on, as did the airbrakes
The undercarriage doors and belly tank went on too
Also evident are the lower airbrakes. It was the lower airbrakes which, if operated at the same time as the flaps, caused the Meteor phenomenon known as "phantom dive". This would cause the aircraft to suddenly and uncontrollably pitch down, causing the loss of many aircraft and pilots before this phenomenon was fully understood.
Shack WR963, Coventry

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Coming along nicely there Graham! I wish I had the patience to do models still, as I love attenion to details - and this one is showing all the signs of being rather good when we get to see the finished article! I do like Meteors ;)
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

I ran out of patience, but kept some of the kit stash and all the gear. Now all I have is lots of time I can't do anything else with, I thought I may as well give model building another shot...

Going through my archive this morning to respond to a PM, I found these pics of some of the scrap NF.14's at 5MU, Kemble, in the early 1960's. I forget where they came from; if they are yours, I apologise! Evident are jets from 60 sqn, 72 sqn, 85 sqn.

Oh for a TARDIS!
Strange how the windscreens are missing; this adds to the mystery of why they went to the bother of designing and making different configured windscreen frames just for the dozen jets converted to NF(T) spec. I wonder if there was an issue/design flaw with the original screen design...?
Shack WR963, Coventry

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Blue_2
Have you got these for your archives.? The skinny chap standing in the cockpit is my dad.
AW Meteor NF14/No.389 MU Seletar/Singapore/2nd February 1962.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Fantastic stuff Brian! I assume they were previously the 60 squadron jets, the last operational Meteor NF's in RAF service in their intended role. Interesting to see they got the modified windscreen/DV window set-up I had thought only the NF(T)'s received, and Rebecca fit too.

Thanks for sharing!
Shack WR963, Coventry

Monsun

Post by Monsun »

Hi Blue

You mentioned the Phantom Dive on the Meteor. As I understand it this phenomenon really started with a reduction in directional stability when the airbrakes were out as turbulence affected the airflow over the rudder. The main undercarriage came down asymmetrically so this set up a yawing motion and if the airbrakes were still out, there was a lack of rudder authority at lower speeds to counteract the yaw. It was then a case of yaw, roll and pitch down which happened very quickly.

Peter

PeterVerney

Post by PeterVerney »

Re the windscreens. there was a problem with the earlier 2 seaters in that when it rained water was retained on the screen and rippled upsetting the pilots forward vision. i can remember one of our aircraft being fitted with wipers. This instantly cured the problem but without having to switch the wiper on. The lump made where the wiper arm came out upset the airflow over the screen. Problem solved :smile:

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

As always, interesting recollections Peter! Regarding the phantom dive, I know the Coroner for Driffield area was fed up of dealing with the deaths of young Meteor pilots based at RAF Driffield in the many invariably fatal Meteor accidents happening during the late 40's/early 50's, and asked the RAF if they were trying to train pilots or kill them...

As to the windscreen, the change in configuration was in the DV window in the port side of the screen. There appears to have been no change to the starboard or front screens. Why such an item was redesigned so very late in the Meteor's career is beyond me. Interesting to note that one item missing from all the Meteors pictured in the Kemble scrap line photos I shared the other day is the complete windscreen assembly though...

In other news, miniature WL168 is all but done!
Shack WR963, Coventry

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

I guess banging plastic isn't a real substitution for banging aluminium but it still looks great :clap:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Sadly it's as close as I can get. My only 2 'real' aircraft projects I have at home are instrument panels. The Chippy is done, and the Lincoln is awaiting parts...
Shack WR963, Coventry

ianf

Post by ianf »

I've been helping the Nim guys on their FB page and one pic I posted I have blown up a bit as it has you meatbox on. this was taken 2010.

This is were she sat for many a year.

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

She certainly did! Cheers for posting Ian.
Shack WR963, Coventry

Malcolm McKay

Post by Malcolm McKay »

Keep well Blu_2. Good work on the model but like you, we're all waiting for your go ahead to get back to working on Her Ladyship. :smile:

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Not having the full sized aircraft available to work on is starting to grind. I see all these days go by and nothing productive happening. She should have the paint stripper on and working nicely now in this warm sunny weather... Never mind.
In the meantime, more Meteors are making their way across the model bench. In progress, a conversion of the old Airfix Meteor III into Martin Baker's first ejection seat test aircraft...
and a Matchbox/Aeroclub conversion of an F.8, this time another old friend and contributor of parts to the 788 project, F.8 VZ568...
My 'full size' aircraft itch is going to be scratched today, by continuing work to convert my Lincoln instrument panel to run all its lighting etc. off mains power. Should look and work nicely for when we come out of lockdown just in time for Cockpitfest 2027...
Shack WR963, Coventry

barkin mad

Post by barkin mad »

Sterling work on those Meteor models. If you didn't already know Sword models has just released a 1/48 Meteor NF.14
Good practice for the full size one. :wink: :biggrin:

------------------

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Indeed, there's one on its way to me as I type this. We helped them with the research for the kit, and I 'proof read' the test shots!
Shack WR963, Coventry