Social Distance Spotting

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: Social Distance Spotting

Post by Blackbird »

CJS wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020, 10:50 am
There might even be retired people on here...
Too right there are - and as an aside, you don't have to be over 65 to retire either :smile: .

Andy :grinning:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Blackbird wrote:
Wed 13 May 2020, 5:17 am
CJS wrote:
Too right there are - and as an aside, you don't have to be over 65 to retire either :smile: .

Early retired at 58, best move I ever made.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Great isn't it Brian? - lockdown aside. And even that's not yet as bad as I feared it would be - so far😀

Andy

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Got used to sitting around doing nothing all day and watching Homes Under The Hammer on TV for the last 7 years, so Lockdown not a problem for me. :grin:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

toom317 wrote:
Tue 12 May 2020, 9:48 am
Well Boris says we should all go back to work if you can avoid using public transport, so assuming most bases are out of the way and most of us use cars, why don't you all head off back to work?
I mean people can't go to work if their workplace isn't open. I live in Cornwall where the vast majority of businesses are still closed.

Regardless, and not that it's your business, but I've had maybe 7 days in total off throughout lockdown, no change for me! It would be nice to do something with my days off is all...

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Wed 13 May 2020, 5:41 am
Got used to sitting around doing nothing all day and watching Homes Under The Hammer on TV for the last 7 years, so Lockdown not a problem for me. :grin:

Brian
If you've got used to that you've got bigger problems than lockdown!

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I can report that my first post lockdown spotting trip to LHR did not end in arrest. About 5 hours at Myrtle Avenue and 20 new aircraft entered the book, sadly landing the wrong way for photos. Great to be out again.

davski

Post by davski »

My local airfield (Leeds East AIrport/RAF Church Fenton - depending on your vintage) is just across the road so, aside from there being much less aircraft activity than usual and no access to the airfield itself, nothing has really changed for me. I've seen the L-29 Delfin and PC12, numerous helicopter movements including the local air ambulance conducting training, various pipeline/electricity pylon survey aircraft in for fuel, a Learjet and a Challenger having engine/taxy runs, and a couple of light aircraft movements.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I spend some time near Leeds (though not at the moment) during the course of the year with family. Is it worth a 40 min drive to spend some taking photos when I'm next there - whenever that may be.

Andy

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Leeds is currently closed, so depends when you consider "whenever that may be" to be.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Once we can resume travelling - probably a couple of months time at a guess.

Andy

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

farnboroughrob wrote:
Wed 13 May 2020, 2:40 pm
I can report that my first post lockdown spotting trip to LHR did not end in arrest. About 5 hours at Myrtle Avenue and 20 new aircraft entered the book, sadly landing the wrong way for photos. Great to be out again.
Glad you are feeling fit enough, hoping to have a look myself in a day or so.

davski

Post by davski »

Blackbird wrote:
Wed 13 May 2020, 3:53 pm
I spend some time near Leeds (though not at the moment) during the course of the year with family. Is it worth a 40 min drive to spend some taking photos when I'm next there - whenever that may be.

Andy
Movements at LEA can be a bit hit and miss, they're still waiting for GNSS approval so most current traffic (pre CV) is GA with the occasional biz jet. There are a number of residents now ranging from Piper Cub to Bombardier Challenger, the old RAF canteen has been opened as a café and affords some views across the apron (south facing into sun). Not to be confused with Leeds Bradford Airport of course.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks Davski - I'll give it a try when the opportunity arises.

Andy

Sid-104

Post by Sid-104 »

Blackbird wrote:
Wed 13 May 2020, 5:17 am
CJS wrote:

I'll join Andy and Brian in giving early retirement the thumbs up. I finished at the end of Feb, also at 58. Luckily, being close to the Heath, the Hall, and Marham I've managed to see movements most days without leaving the garden but looking forward to a ride to Lakenheath soon. Watching fr24 to see whats causing vapor trails overhead, Air Warriors and Plane Resurrection viewing, reading Pathfinders 635 Squadron and with five waterways converging two miles down the road at Denver Sluice, there's plenty of flying action from the Avian air force to keep lockdown at bay, but will be happier when I can partake of a coffee and cake at Duxford again.

Sid.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Wissam24 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:24 am
Mooshie1956 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:19 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 9:29 am
[
Currently posting photos taken away from home is banned,
Since when ?. I've seen plenty of pictures taken while on lockdown and posted to other social media outlets, no one seem to know about this and the police haven't taken any action.
Yes, the shocking arrogance of some "outlets" like BigJetTV has been breathtaking.
Regarding that outlet on another forum I'm a member of the outlet were mentioned in connection with something which led me to this on the outlet's web site !!!

https://www.bigjet.tv/covid19/

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

Well here is one taken perfectly legally yesterday, Bournemouth..................

Wryneck

Post by Wryneck »

parsley wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 10:25 pm
Wissam24 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:24 am
Mooshie1956 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 11:19 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 9:29 am
[
Currently posting photos taken away from home is banned,
Since when ?. I've seen plenty of pictures taken while on lockdown and posted to other social media outlets, no one seem to know about this and the police haven't taken any action.
Yes, the shocking arrogance of some "outlets" like BigJetTV has been breathtaking.
Regarding that outlet on another forum I'm a member of the outlet were mentioned in connection with something which led me to this on the outlet's web site !!!

https://www.bigjet.tv/covid19/
Photos being posted during lockdown was only banned on this site and if I recall correctly with a message saying they would be taken down. Obviously those taken from your Garden or out on your daily exercise should be OK - I cycle commute 30 miles a day so I've easily taken some "Lockdown Spotting" photos as I carry my camera gear on a pakrak. I have refrained from posting any so not to encourage anyone to go out looking at all the BA Embraer 170s and 190s, KLM 737s, Transavia 737s and the line-up of BRA 146s at Norwich. Quite something to see, I assume the result of cheap storage costs?

What surprised me most whilst out on my exercise were the actual number of spotters I've seen around the airfield during Lockdown (when you could only make essential journeys and go out once per day for exercise) in their cars, parked up and chatting well within the social distancing boundaries, touching metal fences and poking their lenses through it... cretins.

How many managed to "bag" the UAE Royal Flight 146 that was in to be fumigated and was parked right beside the fence? I paused briefly on my cycle rides to take my shots then carried on my circular exercise route back home (once per day).

However with the Cummings/Boris situation vs the rest of the UK population, it also appears that on UKAR if you work within the industry (58Hustler) then it's fine to post your "Lockdown" photos. I don't see how posting photos from within an airfield is fine yet outside isn't? This does just as much to encourage someone to go out and look, it is no different, other than in the eyes of the UKAR staff - double standards by UKAR in my opinion.

Well, I'm done with this forum for good, as the current buzz words go "It's time to move on"...

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Gents, many of you may have seen the updated guidance by the Government on Friday which I understand some may think means the restriction on images should be released.

The actual legal regulations (here) are more prescribed and the updated text came in to force on 13th May.

You can now do the following:-
to visit a public open space for the purposes of open-air recreation to promote their physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing—
(i) alone,
(ii) with one or more members of their household, or
(iii) with one member of another household
Public open space under these guidelines is specifcially defined as.
  • land laid out as a public garden or used for the purpose of recreation by members of the public
  • land which is “open country”
    • any land/countryside where a local authority or national parks authority has secured an access arrangement or is adjacent to a river/watercourse (for a more detailed description see here and here)
  • land which is “access land”
    • land designated as such on maps published by a countryside body, are registered common land, land more than 600m/1,969ft above sea level (mountain), a coastal margin, and land designated as access land by the owner - (more detail in 1(1) here)
I'm sure you can agree that a large amount of spotting locations don't meet this criteria and therefore in order to prevent the staff team having to figure out whether a shot continues to break the lockdown or not - can I request that people continue not to post images taken from outside airfields (unless from a place of work or your home) for the time being please.

As soon as the regulations change, we will of course review and change our position accordingly.

Until then, I'd personally like to thank everyone for complying up until now. I've really enjoyed seeing everyones shots from times past that have appeared in the meantime.

Thanks

Andy

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

Birmingham yesterday

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

And another of Bournemouth from earlier this week

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Interesting pics - thank you.

Andy

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Any one in South Cambridgeshire tonight, and spot the mistake. :whistle:

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/l ... m-18320641

Brian

DfG on Facebook

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Thu 28 May 2020, 5:39 am
Any one in South Cambridgeshire tonight, and spot the mistake. :whistle:

Brian
The link is not working,takes you to page not found.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Interesting, same link posted on Fighter Control and that is working. Must be something in the new software stopping it.

Spitfire to fly from Duxford for Thursday's 8pm carers clap over Cambridgeshire

A spitfire fighter plane from the Second World War will be flying over South Cambridgeshire and Cambridge on Thursday evening (May 28).

The spitfire is setting off from Duxford at 7.45pm and will fly over dozens of villages and towns on its way to Cambridge.

It will be flying at 2,000 feet over South Cambridgeshire for the duration of the flight which will last around 45 minutes.
Brian

DfG on Facebook