Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Mike

Re: Drive-in airshows?

Post by Mike »

cometguymk1 wrote:
Wed 01 Jul 2020, 2:40 pm
...most of their income is airshows...
Is it?

Have you read their accounts? Or are you making an assumption?

The accounts are freely available on the Companies House website, and are most enlightening.

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

I was going from what i have read in the past in Propswing and talking to people involved with the collection. Also they said in their original Covid statement "The Shuttleworth Trust is very reliant on air show revenue to keep our fabulous collection going".

disgruntled

Post by disgruntled »

All this talk of drive in airshows being new and innovative.
I am sure I remember as a child in the 70s and 80s watching the majority of airshows from the car?
IAT at Greenham Common?
RAF Locking open days?
RAF Fairford at home days?
RAF St Athan BoB Day?

It may be that some of the above weren’t set out as I remember - but I’m sure some were! But that was in the days when people were polite, had respect for other people’s space and didn’t feel the need to trample over other people’s picnics or push small children out of the way just to get a photograph

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I think the concept will work well at OW, certainly would not expect the behaviours you describe at the Shuttleworth Collection.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

disgruntled wrote:
Thu 02 Jul 2020, 7:54 am
I am sure I remember as a child in the 70s and 80s watching the majority of airshows from the car?
IAT at Greenham Common?
RAF Locking open days?
RAF St Athan BoB Day?

It may be that some of the above weren’t set out as I remember - but I’m sure some were! But that was in the days when people were polite, had respect for other people’s space and didn’t feel the need to trample over other people’s picnics or push small children out of the way just to get a photograph
Yes, watched a few shows from the car. It made sense as you had all your stuff there and didn't have to lug it around the airfield. Farnborough, Woodford, Prestwick etc. Would make sense in a current-Covid environment. If you had a portaloo handy, well you're sorted.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

disgruntled wrote:
Thu 02 Jul 2020, 7:54 am
IAT at Greenham Common?
RAF Locking open days?
RAF St Athan BoB Day?

Quite right. I began going to airshow in the '90s and watched many Air Fetes and Farnboroughs sat by the back of the family car.

Good days!

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

I'm sure the only reasons we left the car at Mildenhall was for the loo and to get burgers

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Its true, that in the days of parking on the airfield a lot of spectators stuck by their car. And still do at Cosford and a couple of others. Great for general spectating. For photographers though, getting that bit nearer the action, and being able to see the aircraft operating on the ground, drives us that bit closer.

I know Old Warden is different in how intimate it is in general, but there may be some frustration from some snappers if they're stuck near the back and the crowd line is clear.

Maybe worth using the opportunity to just kick back and watch one.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

grant_w wrote:
Thu 02 Jul 2020, 12:12 pm
I'm sure the only reasons we left the car at Mildenhall was for the loo and to get burgers
And miss the chance to get up close with a Blackbird dripping fuel, a B-1, a row of Phantoms and Lightnings, a Tomcat, etc etc etc?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Not sure how much of the spectator area they are opening at Old Warden, but where the vehicles are parked near the tower is OK, if you're behind the central road you're a long way back. If they are using the parkland as well its a long way off the intimate action.

Good luck to them, and to everyone going, I hope it works out well, going to be a bit of a bun fight for when the gates open I'd hazard a guess though.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

capercaillie wrote:
Thu 02 Jul 2020, 1:19 pm
grant_w wrote:
And miss the chance to get up close with a Blackbird dripping fuel, a B-1, a row of Phantoms and Lightnings, a Tomcat, etc etc etc?
I was only a kid in those days, the trip to statics was strictly only the once given it could be a mile walk or more!! I guess the only show similar in terms of distances is RIAT.

Used the inflatable dinosaur as a kind of compass for statics, with the added bonus of a wet burger when you got there, but I digress! 😄

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

capercaillie wrote:
Thu 02 Jul 2020, 1:19 pm
grant_w wrote:
I was young and didn't appreciate it as much as I would now. Quick skirt around the static and back to the car before the flying display started

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I think I'm going to give the first OW show a miss and let them sort out the inevitable glitches, traffic, catering etc before giving it a go.