Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
ZD241_VC10

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Post by ZD241_VC10 »

You were saying? An update on the VC10 situation:
Some VC10 Preservation Group representatives are working as part of a coordinated wider team to explore future options for ZD241 and ZA147, and save at least one airframe. More information will follow in due course. This will include any independent fundraising campaign (we ask that our generous supporters withhold their donations until this is decided).

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

Perhaps there is hope for the Boeing 747-300s (ex-Transaero), which have been stored at the airfield for some time. It seem that 3 contract jobs are available to restore at least one of them.

https://www.adecco.co.uk/Job/boeing-747 ... d0c714daf9

CJS

Post by CJS »

kinglear27 wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 10:26 am
Perhaps there is hope for the Boeing 747-300s (ex-Transaero), which have been stored at the airfield for some time. It seem that 3 contract jobs are available to restore at least one of them.

https://www.adecco.co.uk/Job/boeing-747 ... d0c714daf9
I am all for restoring classic aircraft where possible /practical, but I have to wonder, well, why you'd bother restoring a 747 to be honest :dunno:

If I have missed something obvious (like the fact that it's a -300 is somehow significant, or that it used to be Transaero aircraft maybe) then apologies. But presumably this isn't being restored to flight, so I don't really get it.

Edit - OK, so this would seem to imply they are rarer than other variants https://www.airportspotting.com/where-t ... 0-in-2020/
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

But you are correct to ask why! There are hundreds of 747s sat in serviceable condition!

Archer

Post by Archer »

The fact that licensed engineers are wanted implies that it is a commercial venture to get one or both 747s away from Bruntingthorpe. Even though there are loads of 747s around, these must still hold some value. Sorry to be brutally honest but I really can't make myself rejoice about this while the types with a clear link to UK's aviation heritage are still in danger.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

From the advert:

You will have previous experience of working with this model of plane and be able to operate on your own skills without user manuals

If it's a commercial venture, I can't see the CAA being too happy about that!

CJS

Post by CJS »

It just seems a bit, well, a bit pointless really.

Given how many there are around surely there would be a flyable one available if you were desperate?

Unless it's a quick job there's not much time anyway is there? Are the 747s there ever run at all?

I don't know much about these things, but if you haven't run an aircraft engine for too long you've had it haven't you? Anti Det runs or something? (Sorry, I doubt that's what they're actually called :lol:)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

GertrudetheMerciless

CJS wrote:
Sat 20 Jun 2020, 6:14 pm
It just seems a bit, well, a bit pointless really.
Yep!

Unless it's a quick job there's not much time anyway is there? Are the 747s there ever run at all?

I don't know much about these things, but if you haven't run an aircraft engine for too long you've had it haven't you? Anti Det runs or something? (Sorry, I doubt that's what they're actually called :lol:)
They may struggle...

...they have no engines.

Maybe they’re planning an Aerotow behind the VC10 (yes, that’s how ridiculous the plan is). Conversely, it could be an attempt by the owner to buy time against any deadline to clear the site.

ostrich74

Post by ostrich74 »

They do have engines, well they did on friday, one looks to of been removed recently. However i'm certain they'd be replaced anyway as they've been idle for way to long now. id be more concerned about the lack of rudders because of wind action and further damage to the fins.
Member of The Buccaneer Aviation Group, Bruntingthorpe.

GertrudetheMerciless

ostrich74 wrote:
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 7:59 am
They do have engines, well they did on friday, one looks to of been removed recently. However i'm certain they'd be replaced anyway as they've been idle for way to long now. id be more concerned about the lack of rudders because of wind action and further damage to the fins.
Oh yeah, looking again they do!

Point still stands. Bonkers idea. Buying time I suspect.

Archer

Post by Archer »

Or perhaps they only want to get all the bits off that are sellable. No big issue if that is done without referring to the manuals every 20 seconds.

GertrudetheMerciless

Archer wrote:
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 2:59 pm
Or perhaps they only want to get all the bits off that are sellable. No big issue if that is done without referring to the manuals every 20 seconds.
Good point.

AndrewW

Post by AndrewW »

The statement on the Bruntingthorpe website has been updated:

https://www.bruntingthorpe.com/aviation

Seems to be saying much the same, but with more words.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Something that passed me by........ the word 'lease', not owners then?
Got to love Russianhardware

GertrudetheMerciless

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 6:44 pm
Something that passed me by........ the word 'lease', not owners then?
Cox have bought the business, but are only leasing the site.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

This is on the CAA chart amendments list. Nothing arriving and nothing leaving ever again. Tristars were never going to leave there imho.

BRUNTINGTHORPE
Change active civil AD symbol at 522913.00N 0010750.00W to disused/abandoned AD symbol, due to site's closure. Remove all associated text, leaving just the AD name.

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Traveller wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 9:02 am
This is on the CAA chart amendments list. Nothing arriving and nothing leaving ever again. Tristars were never going to leave there imho.

BRUNTINGTHORPE
Change active civil AD symbol at 522913.00N 0010750.00W to disused/abandoned AD symbol, due to site's closure. Remove all associated text, leaving just the AD name.
Hi There, Have you the link please.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Post by 106500 »

This is so sad. Just the start of Bruntingthorpe's descent into oblivion. Still, it was great while it lasted. Perhaps once the apparent 'boom' in car storage is over the glory days might return; somehow though I doubt it.

GertrudetheMerciless

I don’t think this will stop anything flying out if it was able to. The CAA are going to be involved if anything other than the light aircraft moves anyway.

At the moment I doubt anything will, but until the axe falls there are still some aircraft that could potentially fly out on a one flight ferry.

All this does is discourage any casual flyer deciding to freecall the info radio channel (which often went unanswered anyway) and try to land there. :slight_smile:

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 7:47 pm
...but until the axe falls there are still some aircraft that could potentially fly out on a one flight ferry.
Which aircraft could potential fly out, hope Canopus is one?
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

zzz
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Cole

Post by Cole »

TonyC wrote:
Thu 09 Jul 2020, 3:21 pm
GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 7:47 pm
...but until the axe falls there are still some aircraft that could potentially fly out on a one flight ferry.
Which aircraft could potential fly out, hope Canopus is one?
Wasnt there a contract for the Tristars in the US?
Sort of an AirTanker kind of deal ?
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

That story’s been going around since they retired there, I’d say if it hasnt happened by now it wont ever
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Wissam24 wrote:
Thu 09 Jul 2020, 4:22 pm
zzz
Sorry, was I boring you?
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!