First Show on July 18

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Pen Pusher

Re: First Show on July 18

Post by Pen Pusher »

NOTAM shows practice display's from 13.30 to 17.15 BST before the flying starts at 17.30.
H2308/20: Aerobatics will take place
Q) EGTT/QWBLW/IV/M/AW/000/034/5205N00019W003
PRACTICE AEROBATIC DISPLAYS WI 3NM OF AREA BOUNDED BY A STRAIGHT
LINE BETWEEN 520258N 0001553W AND 520225N 0002056W THENCE CLOCKWISE
BY THE ARC OF A CIRCLE 3 NM RADIUS CENTRED ON 520512N 0001907W TO
520258N 0001553W (OLD WARDEN, BEDFORDSHIRE) FOR INFO 01767 627918 OR
07875 028876. 2020-07-0008-AS6.
LOWER: Surface, UPPER: 3,400 Feet AMSL
FROM: 18 Jul 2020 12:30 GMT (13:30 BST) TO: 18 Jul 2020 16:15 GMT (17:15 BST)
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Looks like the "Thank you NHS" Spitfire has been added to the display
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

I have an image showing the layout of how the show ground will look and they have split the parking into 3 zones. A being closest to control tower and C further away. Having never been to OW before is the control tower the end considered to be the “bend”?

Peter345

Post by Peter345 »

Yes, the bend is around the control tower, so ideally that's the end to be at. I guess it'll be luck of the draw where they park you on the day though.

Any chance of sharing the layout image please?

Peter

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

rdchawk wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 2:47 pm
Looks like the "Thank you NHS" Spitfire has been added to the display
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Peter345 wrote:
Fri 17 Jul 2020, 7:38 am
Yes, the bend is around the control tower, so ideally that's the end to be at. I guess it'll be luck of the draw where they park you on the day though.

Any chance of sharing the layout image please?

Peter
Would love to but still don’t know how to post images on here. Send me a DM with your email address and will send to you.

Aaron

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

The map is on the shuttleworth website

Post by 5944 »

Hopefully that will work.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Well first time to Shuttleworth today and what a great venue that is. Don’t know why it’s taken me so long to get there. When that sun came through this evening there was some amazing light on those wonderfully kept aircraft.

Even half way back in zone B most of the displays felt close to you which was great and some of the top sides were lovely.

Highlights for me were John Romain at the start, boy does that man know how to display a Spitfire. The Fauvel was incredible what an amazing piece of kit that is so graceful but what a shape. If these are half as good as a “normal” show I can’t wait to get to one.

Enjoyed it so much just booked for two weeks time!!

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Thought today was absolutely outstanding from Shuttleworth, and felt so good to be back at an airshow again.

It was superbly organised, with the cars being brought into the main area and then seemingly filling up the zones from front to back (A, then B, then C), and think there was 9 or 10 rows, going from what I saw. Cars were being instructed to park on the left of their box, so a natural barrier between each group was formed by the cars, and you had the space on the right to stand in, and wide lanes between each row of cars for people to walk, in order to go to the toilets/get food. The distancing seemed to be kept to impeccably, saw a couple of people try and go down to the crowd line to get a couple of photos, but all very accepting of the stewards when asked them to go back to their cars. I've seen a few comments on social media about it taking longer than usual to get in and more rows of cars than usual in the holding field, but was told that they couldn't open early as they normally would at all due to the licence for the event, meaning that the 15:00 time had to be kept to, hence the build up of cars. But once in the organisation seemed exceptional for a first run of this type of event.

The displays themselves were tremendous. John Romain's opener in the Spitfire was a great way to begin and felt very poignant given the situation and NHS markings. It was brilliantly flown too and fully deserved the round of applause he got on landing and shutting down the engine. The Comet display was very well flown and very typically Shuttleworth. Really enjoyed the barnstorming with the Cub, Tiger Moth, Magister and Chipmunk, great but of fun and light relief in these strange times. Many other great displays that I won't mention now (otherwise this could go on forever).

Big thank you to anyone from Shuttleworth who played a part in today and that might be reading this, it was an outstanding effort and event. It would have been so easy to just write this season off, but I'm very grateful for the innovative approach and can-do spirit that allowed today to happen.

Looking forward to the next one in a couple of weeks!

xr221

Post by xr221 »

I 100% agree with and echo the above comments. It was a superbly organised show and a real bonus to have one in these strange times. The Shuttleworth staff were as always very friendly, helpful and professional and all of the crowd were equally well behaved and a pleasure to share the show with. Having the commentary over FM radio instead of using the event loud speakers was a brilliant idea - you could listen if you wanted at the volume you wanted and the commentary didn't spoil the pure aircraft noise of the displays. Zoned toilet and food facilities worked extremely well and the food options were really good. Full marks to Shuttleworth for a brilliant season 'Premiere' and I look forward to more on 2/8 🙃👍

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I can only echo what has been said. Last night was a brilliant airshow even by ordinary standards, but given the quite reasonable notion that there may not have been *any* airshows this year, last night was just out of this world.

How good did it feel to be stood in a field, the sun at your back and the roar of Merlins echoing across the airfield?!

Just great, great stuff in every respect.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I can only reiterate what's been said above. It was 1988 when I last went to an airshow at Old Warden and I'm not sure why it took so long to go back. One of the reasons I went for this one was the timing. As we had a three hour drive, starting at 5pm meant a leisurely start to the day. In the end the three of us travelled down as it turned out, everything was so well-planned, access, parking, the show itself and the exit from the show afterwards. All superb. The social-distancing aspect actually made for a pleasant and relaxed experience and in many ways was reminiscent of airshows of old when you parked on the airfield and watched the show from the car. All in all a grand day out.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

I agree entirely with the comments above, it was a superb afternoon and evening. The use of a radio instead of the pa system was a stroke of genius and I understand that it is likely to continue with the pa system being used only at the beginning and for any special announcements.

I was fortunate to be able to return to Old Warden today,for a spot of lunch, and I thanked a number of the staff for their efforts yesterday. They all said that feedback from people attending had been very positive.

Well done Shuttleworth thank for a great show.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Parking Ticket" - Scott Perry went to sample Shuttleworth's socially distant new format and reports for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image